Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Well here we go.

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by justhorsinaround, Dec 25, 2006.

1. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

It looks as though we're gonna pull the motor out of Wimpy and put it in the "new" Burb.

Go through the motor that just came out of the Burb to make sure all is ship shape and put it into Wimpy.

Why you say?

Wimpy is pretty beat up and we really need a dependable daily driver that just happens to be the designated towin truck to drag Wimpy around on the trailer as well as being able to do the mods we want to do properly as opposed to hurrying up so I can drive Wimpy to work.

So, we're really gonna get goin on the boatsiding and seal up everything that is leaking drivetrain wise as well as find a new tranny/t-case crossmember for the 208.

Gotta get a new locker in the rear and some "new" tires that maybe just maybe aren't so dry rotted.

Gonna give the 4 speed another go to really see if it was just a bad day or a bad idea to run it. If the latter comes to be true, we're gonna be on the hunt for a 350/? t-case combination.

Down and dirty crossover?

If the Burb had a 350 tranny in it I'd think about just doin a swap but I'm pretty sure it has a 700r4 and we're not gonna have to worry about overdrive in Wimpy.

Any other thoughts?

Anyone maybe have some suggestions?

2. NateInChandler

NateInChandler 1/2 ton status

I have a sugg, I build you a nice 350 for wimpy and wimpy becomes not so wimpy with some motor mods (like i was telling you about), a th-350 trans and your 208 (with a reseal and new forkpads, by me ofcourse), and we get this thing moving nicely... ill help whereever i can, but i have a good core here for the th-350 and those motor parts... Well talk more about this later allen, but i think your gonna get some donated parts brother.. (as well as a donated rebuilt trans, for u only buddy.).. Nate

3. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I personally don't think it needs to be a "built" 350 for big horsepower in Wimpy, for the type of wheelin' we do around here, he's not really going to be using it.
    Just a decent reliable rebuild, and either a real nice Q-jet for the angles,(to keep the cost factor down) or eventually F.I. (when the money is available)

Maybe for the Burb, as it will be doing the towing eventually, and i honestly, and have suggested going BACK to a th350 instead of the manual. :D for alittle better torque control while climbing the rocks.

4. NateInChandler

NateInChandler 1/2 ton status

sorry, meant a nice built 350 as in trans, allen and i already talked about building him a nice motor for it using some heads i have and a 4x4 grind cam i have also... im gonna build him a nice th-350 after i get the other 4 tranny jobs i have lined up done if he wants to swap to a auto (which i recommend as manual isnt helping him any).. Nate

5. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

gotchya, yeah, that's the way i read it as a 350 (motor) for Wimpy, :doah:

that was a higly recommended thing from me as well, just can't get the "powerbraking" effect while climbing certain things down right, which is what i believe was causing alot of the stalling out..:crazy:

6. MaxPF

MaxPF 1/2 ton status

Allan, I say put the 700R4 in Wimpy. Why? Because the 3.06 first gear is really nice :waytogo:

7. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Thing is, he now has a D.D./tow rig available, he can basically dedicate Wimpy to a full on trail rig, so he can still use the th350 and just drop the gearing significantly, maybe 5.xx ?

he couldn't do certain things to it because it was his D.D.

8. MaxPF

MaxPF 1/2 ton status

That's true... I didn't think of that :doah:

9. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

As soon as I pound this cover , and add the gear oil back , I can drive mine to work again :thumb:

10. justhorsinaround

Yippee skippee for you Paul!

:p:

:rolleyes:

11. pauly383

Whatcha doing at home ?

12. justhorsinaround

Wonderful paid day off. Very few perks out to the track. This gets to be one of them.

13. pauly383

That only took ya 5 hours to type up :p::wink1:

14. justhorsinaround

Well ain't ya Mr. Funny Boy!!!!!!

Any more on topic help?:doah:

15. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

Also in North PHX, give a shout if you need help wrenchin'. As far as the new trail only rig, build it as radical as you can. If you want to try the manual trans, I say go for it. I've always run 'em and like 'em. If you don't like it, swap in a built TH350 and don't worry about it. Definately keep the OD in the DD 'Burb, and get that thing squared away. You'll want the HP in the Burb when you're towing more than in the Blazer while wheeling, you can shed a lot of weight on a trail only rig to make up for it, and gearing helps too. For a trail only rig, I think the Q-jet is the way to go. Keep it simple, maybe even carry a spare. For a trail rig, I'm from the school of build it simple, cheap, and light, and wheel it til it dies.

16. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Here is my idea.

700R4's don't like 7K loads
    Humans are not naturally adapted to use 3 feet when rock crawling
    OD is not a towing gear
    A 3.06 first and a 208 make for a poor mans doubler (ask harley)
    Drivelines are the same length between 350/208 and 465/208.

I would put the stick in the DD/anemic tow rig (don't take that as an insult I have one too) and run the auto in wimpy. The 465 will never leave you stranded in the heat and the auto will put a lot less shock load on the axles.

17. pauly383

700R4's don't like 7K loads = I towed a car on a dolly behind mine :D
    Humans are not naturally adapted to use 3 feet when rock crawling = which is why I swapped Allan transmissions :wink1:
    OD is not a towing gear = Just in Pauls case it can work :laugh:
    A 3.06 first and a 208 make for a poor mans doubler (ask harley) = Works great with the 4.56 , I am never going back to anything lower when wheeling :bow:
    Drivelines are the same length between 350/208 and 465/208 = Verified in Allans driveway if he'd remember :doah:

18. pauly383

Yeah , go get disco boy to bring over engine hoist which still has my hook and chain on it I bought at Lowes , and maybe my c-clamps too :rolleyes:

Yank motor , seal her up , and slam her home . Drive Sub to Shawn get frame tweak untweaked since he is in a working on peeps stuff mood .

Drive Sub be happy , build wimpy . Since its just gonna be wheeled , weld axle up and do not drive it anywhere concrete except from driveway up your trailer .

19. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

What he said...then WHEN (cause it will) the 700R4 dies have Nate rebuild it burly or do a built TH350 or TH400. I am doing the TH400 next for pure beef since I don't need OD anymore. I will loose some 1st gear but oh well. It should still be fine.

Harley

20. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

well there is some problems..

1) a 700r4 is great but that does not work out when your on a buget, a t-350 is not a really low 1st gear set up, I guarantee you will miss the low gearing if you go to a t-350

the manual is fine for the wheeling he does, he is not killing rear drivelines, rear shafts or parts thus far,

other then front axel shafts, breakage seems minimal, and was the locker that did brake new? I believe it was indeed used.??

the money and time could be better spent by purchasing another locker, getting a nice good reliable quadrajet and adding a hand throttle on your shifter.

why beat your self up. time aggrivation and money??? wtf? just fix the little issues, add some rockers for clearance so you dont hang up as often, for the front tie in the front two frame horns with the cheap steel or a hitch so it stops flexing so much.

not to mention with a quality used or new set of tires that thing would hook up better and charge forward without drama.

there is no major changes needed, just needs some attention due to use/abuse.

1 thing at a time.

just find a used or junkyard motor for the burb, and if you are already driving wimpy thee is no sence in not just rebuilding the burb motor and re-installing it back in it sine doing so means the truck is down anyways, too much wrenching and swapping around can really kill your spirit. if you killy wimpy it will wind up like the corvair..untouched for a long time as one thing after another comes up.