Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Well I am joining the 700r4 band wagon

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 73K5Kid, Feb 8, 2004.

1. 73K5Kid

73K5Kid 1/2 ton status

Looks like my 700r4 is taking a dive. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif I lost 3rd & 4th gear Friday. I can't say I lost them it is just real slow to jump into 3rd and my engine just reves until it goes into 3rd than finally fourth. I am hoping it is the tv cable but I dought it. Anyone have any suggestions /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif If I have to rebuild anyone have a good tranny shop. I have one in mind that installed my lock up kit and output shaft. I need to call them for a price. Anyone know what the going rate on a rebuild and install is right now. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I just got mine rebuilt by State to State on Bell and 26th St. Heavy rebuild, corvette servo, kevlar bands, 30 spline, etc. $1000 for the trans $600 for install and misc. the reason I paid that much was the 2yr/24K warranty.

Sofar they have been real cool with me. Did a good job too from what I can tell.

Harley

3. 73K5Kid

73K5Kid 1/2 ton status

Hey Harley, that warranty does not sound like a bad idea. I don't want to be changing out 700r4 every 6 months. Man these trannys are expensive. I plan on building it up with all the upgrades. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Wingnutt

Wingnutt 1/2 ton status

As crazy as it sounds, check with your GM dealer. I got a factory rebuilt 700 with a 36/50K warranty for $1800 installed. The best part is that if it craps out, I just strol up to the counter plop down my $25 deductable and tell them to fix it.

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

It will only work if the part number that matches your truck is still in production. They discontinued the trans for my 85 GMC Jimmy already. I tried GM first. They said no warranty because it was not the same application as the computer specified.

That is why I went with State to State. They were informed before hand that my truck would be used for rock crawling and offroad use so they can't bring that up on me.

Harley

6. 73K5Kid

73K5Kid 1/2 ton status

I will try the gm dealer. My tranny is out of an 87 k5.
    Thanks

7. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

bowtie overdrives.

their level one box runs wayyyy under a grand w/ no core... even their level 2 is under a grand IIRC and since all you really need is a tranny and maybe TC, you're good to go for cheap. one year warranty and they are some of the best in the biz

mike

8. djsblaze

djsblaze 1/2 ton status

I bought the Bowtie Stage 3. Supposed to be more or less bullet proof (so long as Im not stupid with it). Unfortunately, its being installed as we speak, so I dont have anything practical to report, other than I spoke with alot of people before I ordered it, and everyone agrees Bowtie is a safe route to take. Good luck.

9. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Is this in your '73? With the engines the warrenty only applies to equipment that was originalyy equiped with you vehicale. A friend tried to install a 350 in his 84 and was told that they wouldn't warrenty it because it originally came with a 305...... Make sure to ask.....

10. BAJA_BLAZER

BAJA_BLAZER 1/2 ton status Author

I'd go with the Bowtie Stage III. I have one and wouldn't go any other way. Steve sell over 100 700R4's a month and ships them all over the world. They only do GM Overdrives and install and test (in their test vehicles) everyone before it leaves. The pricing is very reasonable.

11. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    As crazy as it sounds, check with your GM dealer. I got a factory rebuilt 700 with a 36/50K warranty for $1800 installed. The best part is that if it craps out, I just strol up to the counter plop down my $25 deductable and tell them to fix it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are they going to warrenty it when they find out it has 1ton
    running gear & 44" rubber? (I don't know if you have this, but this is a hypethetical question)

12. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I've been looking at the Stage 3 myself. Did you have it installed, or install it yourself? I figure I can install it pretty easy, but dialing it in is the chore. And, if you have another shop install it, do they have to call BO and give them all the feedback they demand in order to warranty it?

13. 73K5Kid

73K5Kid 1/2 ton status

Well I talked with my tranny shop that had installed my ouput shaft and lockup kit. He quoted me 1000-1200 installed. I need to ask about the warranty. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif There called Automatic Transmission Experts. There located off of 7th ave and Indian School. I may be heading down there Wednesday. They seem pretty honest and fair so I may go with them.

14. BAJA_BLAZER

BAJA_BLAZER 1/2 ton status Author

I installed it myself. They gave me all the help I needed and provided an inline filter that they recommended be run for the first 500 or so miles. They also gave me a pressure gauge to use in setting up the TV cable. I also had the privilege of watching most of the build and being shown the modifications and updates that they do. Once you have been to there shop and see what the do and how they do it, you won't get a 700R4 from anyone else. We use the same Trany builder (Steve Culhane) as all the major Trophy Truck teams for the C6's and TH400's in our race trucks and he is the best in the industry, yet I would take my 700R4 to Bowtie only.

15. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Find a shop that knows what they are doing and have them rebuild it with late model/performance parts and I bet it will last a long time. As mentioned above the bowtie OD and Art Carr trannies are very good respectable transmission builders.

16. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

There is a place in Dublin, CA. that I've been to several times for trannies called Schucks. They are pretty squared away. I figure I'll take the specs from the Stage 3 BO 700r4 to them and see if they can match it. I suspect they won't beat the price that BO has though. I'll compare a rebuilt tranny w/ Stage 3 components vs. a BO purchase and Schucks install vs. buying a BO and doing it all myself.