Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Well, i am sure this is bad....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by zakk, Oct 7, 2002.

1. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

Brakes felt a bit spongy and after 300ft 30-0 braking, i thought it was time to have my buddies and i take a look.

Had the rear end jacked up this weekend. After spinning the tires a bit, i would stomp the brakes and it would stop for a split second then continue to roll forward.

To recap:
    Ass end up
    Gas it
    Hit brakes
    Tires stop for 1/2 second
    Tires start spinning again

Is this a master cylinder problem? that is the only thing we have come up with so far... /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

any suggestions? i am all /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'd look at the MC if you can't find any leaks anywhere. If you pump the brake pedal a bit does it help or have no effect?

Rene

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Make sure that your rear shoes are adjusted up properly.

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Here is why that happens. Sounds like a low pressure probably due to some air in the lines. Drum brakes are self activating. The faster they spin the harder they engage. once it slowed down they loosend up some and released.
    I would bleed it out first. Micght be solvable with a a few bucks in fluid. If that doesn't cure I would start with a full inspection of stuff like rubber lines. Have somebody hold the brakes hard and check for swelling under pressure.
    If everying is up to snuff...Master cylinder. Like $15 for a reman with lifetime warranty from the zone. Have not had any problems with them at all.

5. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

we adjusted the shoes and that was the end result. So now i can get it to school, but that is about it.

The rubber hoses i am sure are in bad shape. The M/C is next on the repair list, and while i am at it, i might just slap on some stainless brake lines... /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

if i pump the pedel, sometimes it helps, others it doesn't. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

i hope i do not give new meaning to the phrase: "Smile as you go under" /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Nope...you'll be cringing as you go over /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Rene

8. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Been there! Had a lady not watching traffic. As I hit the brakes to avoid hitting the folks in front of me I glanced back to see a women not watching the road but looking down to something beside her in the seat. I shook my head as I knew what was going to happen and I released the brakes a bit to lighten the impact and look for a way out... Sure enough the 1988 delta slid right under the back end of the truck. After the impact and hitting the brakes my truck jumped forward off her car and I got out to make sure she was ok and you should have seen that car. From the center line of the grill to the carb/thottle body(?) was gone. Grill, radiator, ac pump, driver side valve cover and throttle body was removed and sitting on the hood that was scrunched up within about 12"s of the windsheild. But that was about the extent of the damage. I had a scuff on the reese hitch and on the gas tank. Axles,tires,wheels everything where fine, the hitch held the truck up off the car as it slid under. Of course she had no insurance and the husband was a body man so the car was fixed (unpainted) within a days time. (I was going back to take a photo of the car for the scrap book, and it had a new grill fenders hood and looked to be drivable)

9. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Some have metnioned the master cylinder, but don't forget the wheel cylinders either. Had to replace them on my old 12 bolt. Might as well do it on your 14 to dude. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif