Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Well, i DID BLOW UP my motor, PICS ON PG 2

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 01maroonz71, May 4, 2007.

1. 01maroonz71

01maroonz71 1/2 ton status

PG. 2 updated with pics and carnage

well, i was racing these damn kids in a tundra(lifted) and i was kickin their ass from light to light, when they said....is that all you got, so of course i said, hell no. we left the light and about 650ft into her, hammer down i hear BOOM!!!POP!!!POP!!!CLANK!!!!CLANK!!!!! and a whole puff of white smoke behind me.

so i pull over and the truck will idle, but just barely, and it sounds like somebodys got about 4000 marbles in the oil pan region just shakin em' about. the oil pressure is about 40, which is like 10 higher than normal at idle, and it won't get too hot, but i shut her down after like 30sec. of idling like that. i was able to limp it about 100ft to a bank parking lot where it sits now, i will have it towed in the morning and pull the oil pan to access the damage.

i hope it's not gone completely, b/c i just bought this truck and it's my DD. this is not good.

Last edited: May 5, 2007
  2. 454k30

454k30 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

dont know about a blown motor. Its always possible. Almost sounds like you through a rod but either way your talking a lot of work to get this thing back to driveable, and that is if you didnt destroy the heads and cylinder walls. Take some photos of your "marbles" for us.

3. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Yep my vote would be for a rod too. Its very rare to have a connecting rod failure that doesn't destroy the block with it.

Just be happy that 350's are easy/cheap to find.

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

So lets see here,,,,what exactly did you accomplish street racing and trying to look cool in a big stock type truck,,,,:thinking:

nevermind, you're still young, you'll have to learn things the hard way, like the rest of us i guess.:doah:

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Oh man to go back in time before any and all mistakes were made . I'd have kept the Monte Carlo and never bought the flintstones floor Laguna which gave me the most moving violations :doah:

6. 01maroonz71

i am young. but i also know that i have worked my motor way harder than that offroad, and lots of us have. but, live and learn as you said. all i can do is salvage what i can and built it bigger/better/stronger. :) ill get some pics for ya'll tomm. the first thing my girlfriend said when she came to get me was "now you can get a big block" -she's a keeper.

7. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

like you say, live and learn, i don't currently do the street racing thing, for one,,,i drive a Suburban,,,,yeah right,,,race that thing???:haha: plus it has over 255k miles on it, trying to baby it the most i can...

BUT, i do have to admit, in the younger years when i had the IROC, nice powerful motor in a light car, i did do some/alot of irresponsible things:crazy: :doah: :wink1:

didn't blow any motors up, but damn, i kept going through rear tires:haha:

pull the motor, throw it on a stand, tear it apart and see what's wrong with it, save what you can (if anything) or just get ya a running motor from someone local selling one :laugh:

i'll keep my ears open for ya, if i hear of another big block or another decent runner, i'll let ya know.

BTW,,,YEAH !!!! DEFINATELY a "keeper" :haha: :laugh:

8. 01maroonz71

there's a guy at my dads dealership(GMC dealership) that has a turnkey complete 5.3 vortec, harness,auto trans, exhaust w/ 02's,ECM, etc....EVERYTHING he said i could have for 1500. but first things first... like you said im gonna pull the pan, and see what got murdered.

9. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

i really don't know if i would do the 5.3 thing, for $1500, you could get yourself a completely rebuilt 350 with alittle extras maybe bigger cam and stroked out some possibly...

been some time since i have had to have a motor rebuilt so not sure on all the recent pricings.

alot less hassle with the whole wiring and transmissions stuff too...

10. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

A solid, fuel injected 5.3 with the 4L60E is definitely worth $1500. If you blew your motor, that may be a good option for you.

11. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

i'm not saying it's not worth it, just saying it seems like alittle too much work involved if this is a daily type driver truck...

especially when you could get a decent mildly rebuilt 350 (5.7)+ for about the same, possibly alittle less depending on how much of the work you can do yourself.:wink1:

12. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I just think that even if you do get the 5.3 stuff installed in there, even though it is vortec, you still won't be happy with the power output.

might be better with fuel mileage, but power is not much there with the big heavy truck.

My uncle has a Tahoe with the 5.3 in it, and even HE said he should have opted for the bigger motor, that was odd hearing that from him :crazy: :haha:

13. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

There was a thread on this not to long back. Maybe a few weeks ago. It seems like the 5.3 was designed to make power up in the higher rpms. It doesnt make torque down low where we need it. Takes a lot of revs to get it going. That...and the fuel economy seems to suck if you put that thing in a K5. Not much more, if any, mpg over a 350. Alot more work involved too.
    -Harrison

14. Col_Sanders

Col_Sanders 3/4 ton status

I had a mild 350 built for less than 1500. But I got what I paid for.

15. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

what are you meaning by "you got what you paid for" :confused:

I know that last motor i had done, with the block machining .030 over, the cleaning new cam bearings installed, the complete headwork (rebuilt), the engine rebuild kit itself including pistons and a cam a step above the "RV" cam,, for a 350 i didn't pay much over $1000 for it, maybe $1200 at most..

I installed the heads and put everything outside the main rebuilt block together myself, so i saved alot on labor charges,,,,,

16. 01maroonz71

Well, as i suspected. I Blew it up, i threw a rod, possibly two, and part of two other cylinders had some of the cylinder walls missing, BIG CHUNKS!!!!!! so, i got a GM performance parts crate 350 4bolt on order, it will be here monday night at my dads dealership, the guy said 1625 with my core and then my dad will get more mulah off that since he works there. today i pulled all intake/carb/accessories off motor as well as assed the damage, and i figured ya'll would like to see it:

here are the two plugs that had the connecting rods broken, the piston traveled too far up to the head and blew the ends of the spark plugs off, kinda hard to see, but the plug on the left is smushed beyond anything, it's unreal.
    [​IMG]

here are some pics of the lower end, where the chunks of cylinder wall is AWAL, i found some in my oil, but the rest, im not sure. i circled the parts in red, cause it's kinda hard to see what your lookin at:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

this is the motor with everything off, ready to be pulled tomm, the a/c is still hooked up, and it's sitting on the motor so i could shut the hood, i don't wanna unhook the lines on the compressor:
    [​IMG]

this is my good friend ryan, who was my wheels today. he also helped tremendously with all this, just a goofy mofo(6hrs of drinkin/wrenchin will do that to ya)
    [​IMG]

this is kinda cool. it's how we're keepin track of everything threw all this.

[​IMG]

17. 87K506

87K506 1/2 ton status

i dunno bout ya'll but i have a friend with an 01-02 extended cab 2wd with the 5.3...heads cam truck makin lik 380-390 to the wheels...i guess thats not enough power for some people *shrugs shoulders*

18. jtrux

jtrux 1/2 ton status

Which motor did you go with, i'm guessing for 1625 probably the 290hp one. I've got the 260hp one in my 1971k5 and I really like it. I'll probably change cams someday but it moves that old truck alot better than one that was in it.

19. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Reading between the lines, one would think a heavy foot would mean "on purpose" hmmmm? come on you can fess up to it. :haha:

20. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

better hope thay dont bounce your core money as the block is junk. :eek1: :doah: