Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Well, I drove it home today...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chriskh, Jul 17, 2005.

1. chriskh

chriskh Registered Member

As discussed in this thread:
    http://www.coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143713

I decided to chance it and drive "Rusty" home today. Before I started the 20 mile journey, all I did was replace the air filter (guy that gave Rusty to me already had a new one for it sitting around), and checked the oil. I was shocked! The oil looked brand spanking new and it was completely full! Remember this thing has been sitting for quite some time and no one really knows how long. Not even the old guy that gave it to me. He is the second owner of it BTW. Bought it in '77 with 3,300 miles on it, now it's at 126,xxx miles. Anyway, got it on the road and took it pretty easy (between 40-50mph). She was really low on power. I stopped and put some fresh fuel in it, then I stopped and picked up new plugs, (Autolites, cause they didn't have the A/C Delcos. I'll replace 'em later), cap, and rotor. The drive went really smooth. Once I got used to it, I don't think the front end is half as bad as I thought. When I test drove it, I thought it was going to fall apart but half way home today I was already used to it and could even steer it with my knee, no problem. Got home, cleaned Rusty out, replaced plugs, cap, and rotor and fired him up... HOLY RUNNING GREAT, BATMAN! I couldn't believe what a difference those few things made. Next weekend I'll do the wires too. A Couple of questions though... When I pulled out the old plugs, the tips looked pretty good but on a few of them, the threads were pretty wet. I really couldn't tell what it was but one thing is for sure, they did not smell of gas. Anyne know what this means? Also, when I cranked it up for the first time after all that, it shot black s#*t out of the tail pipes for a second. Anyone know why or what this indicates?

To make a long story a little longer, I took it for another drive and was amazed at the difference. I had it cruising down the road at 70mph with ease and it felt good. It felt like I could easily lay a little more into it and he would keep on smiling at me.

The exhaust on the other hand is a whole different story. Both mufflers have rust holes in them and sound terrible. I want to fix that too but want to do it cheaply. ( I can see right now it's a good thing I'm single at the moment, 'cause this thing is going to suck up my change faster than you can say BROKE!) What would be the cheapest, bet way to fix this and get a mean tone out of it? Straight pipe? Glass packs? High-flow mufflers? I don't know the best way to do this so any help would be great.

Thanks for reading, sorry it was so long!

-Chris

2. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

funny what a little tune up work will do. Don't sweat the Autolites, I run them in my customers cars and they last alot longer than most and very rarely let me down, as far as not havin da cash welcome to the club! and hangin around here(ck5) won't do your wallet any favors either (ask any of us that have "built" our trucks, I'm 23 grand into something so cool I can't afford to drive it!) run over to the local checker, schucks, autozone , whatever (as long as it aint Pep Boys)"cough, cough,(assholes),cough!
    and pick up the twenty dollar glass packs and go home and weld em up! :D

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'd run 50 series Flowmasters...but they're not exactly as friendly to the budget as glasspacks are. :crazy: They last damn near forever though. i have a single 50 series Flowmaster behind my 6.2 diesel...total budget driven decision at the time. I had zero cash and the single flowmaster was 'parts left over'. I originally bought that flowmaster in '97...ran it behind my 350 for 5 years then set it aside when I decided i wanted bigger 40 series Flowmasters. That muffler sat for a year in the backyard, and has now been behind my 6.2 for 2 1/2 years. It still shows no signs of rusting out.

I wouldn't put much stock in what the old plugs looked like. Run the new ones for a few weeks and then pull them and see what they look like...chances are they'll all look the same.

Rene

4. OffRoad

OffRoad 1/2 ton status

sounds sweet man. glad you got a project. have fun!

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

For the exhaust I would just put a set of cheap Turbo mufflers on it. IMO They sound a lot better than glass pacs. You can pick them up for around 20.00 each.

If that truck sat a long time put some fuel system/carb cleaner thru it. Maby some fuel drier to get any water out of the tank.
    Prolly would not hurt to change all the fluids (Engine,Tranny, Xfr case, diffs, Coolant) too