Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Well...I drove with open headers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jtrux, Feb 25, 2007.

1. jtrux

jtrux 1/2 ton status

I posted recently about driving with open headers and let me tell you...what a blast. I didn't just drive for a few miles either, I put about 50 miles on my truck like that. I did finally go get some 40 series flowmasters installed this morning and it does sound a lot better but it was fun while it lasted.

Here are some quick specs on my truck...

1971 Chevrolet Blazer
    Brand new 260hp GM performance crate motor (it's not alot but i'm just happy to have it running)
    SM465
    NP205
    32 inch cheapo mud-terrains
    stock suspension

The engine is pretty basic: HEI, Performer intake and carb, basically bone stock, but it runs great. I do have a billet steel flywheel and dual friction clutch that works great too but that's about it.

Plans inclde 6 inch lift with 35's ( I refuse to trim the body, I like it too much)
    probably going to go with a 35 spline 9 inch over 14 bolt just cause I want to and keep the 44 in the front. I might go bigger later but I really don't see myself going crazy in this truck, if I want something to beat up i'll buy something that isn't as hard to find and beat the hell out of it.

2. Dudge

Dudge 1/2 ton status

Fun, huh? Why not go with the 14 bolt in the back and change the 44 to 8-lug? That's the plan for my rig.

3. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Id go 9" with 35's. Lighter, better ground clearance large aftermarket support. Good choice for an axle.

4. jtrux

jtrux 1/2 ton status

The 14 bolt is nice...if you need it. I don't need it. Like I said, I have no desire to rock crawl my truck. I also really like the wheels I put on my truck and don't feel like buying new ones. Not only that but I like the idea of having sort of a sleeper rig, with the 9 inch in the back (six lug at that) no one will know I have it unless you get up there and look. I'm not starting anything but i'm just saying that for my use a 9 inch with 35's will be perfect. I'll throw in a detroit for good measure and i'll be set. Probably just keep the front open, I don't have experience with a front locker but from what I hear, it'll tear things up in a 44 if you're not careful.

5. Dudge

Dudge 1/2 ton status

I retract my previous statement. Lol

6. 454k30

454k30 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Told you it would be fun! Get any funny looks?

7. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Sounded good when you romped on it hard with open headers huh? But it gets old pretty quick.
    I as well think thats a good option is to go with a 9". Still pretty strong, atleast plently strong for a rig with 35's and a mild 350. Sounds like you have plans laid out for a nice driver. If that be the case, depending upon how much wheeling and where you may not even need a detroit in the rear. Those things have been known to take a rig beyond the limits of what the driver initially intended. ;)

8. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

I ran about 15miles down the interstate with open headers. I thought it sounded like ass. but this was on a 305cid. lol. Been cool to do it at nite and see if any flames shoot out of it. lol

9. kp texan

kp texan 1/2 ton status

Haha, that reminds me of the time I had long tube headers put on my '96 Corvette with 6 spd., LT4, and a Cam. The Shop that installed the headers didnt weld exhaust so I had to go through the middle of Dallas all the way to the exhaust shop. The noise was RIDICULOUS! I think I actually scared some people and I'm surprised I didn't get pulled over (not to mention it wasn't running right since the O2 sensors were setecting a lean condition).

-Wes

10. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Ha, I was driving into town once, and literally blew my muffler off my truck. I had just slipped the muffler on, and held it up with bailing wire, it blew off any time I pushed it to WOT. I always had fun driving around town like that, esspecially firing it up at the mall, and watching everyone jump, lol :D

Never once got pulled over becuase of it either!

11. jtrux

jtrux 1/2 ton status

I don't think they were funny looks at all, mostly mean "I hope you die" looks. But those were my neighbors as I rumbled through the complex at 10 at night. :haha:

12. 01maroonz71

01maroonz71 1/2 ton status

haha...awesome...i just cut my flowmasters off today, sounds GREAT!!!! !nice and loud like i like it......can't wait to let my truck warm up tomm in my apt. complex...i be they'll like it.

13. Alex_B

Alex_B Registered Member

Buy some race ready's and open um up when ever you want. There cheep and easy to install, I've got a set and love it!!!:D

14. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

I had some fun times in my trans am with open headers..
    I had my truck with open headers it was only a 350 and it was annoying but the t/a was wild it was a 403 oldsmobile motor bored 30 over
    with bolt on and mild cam.

I was rolling down the road put it in nuetral and revved it right beside me was a flower shop and the guy tossed what ever he had in his hand really high in the air lol.

I think what makes it sound good with open headers is the amount of compression your engine has.