Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Well I had a productive day

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Grim-Reaper, Dec 10, 2001.

1. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Wrenched on Old Dollar most of Sunday. Got to play with my new Welder for a couple hours in the process. Boy I sure do like that. Glad the Lady let me buy it. Have all sorts of stuff I'm thinking about building.
    The mufflers had the outlet pipe spot welds broken free so the tail pipes kept turning so I rewelded those. Nice and solid now. Still need to get the passenger down pipe replaced. Have to let the muffler shop do that I think. The flare at the manifold is screwed up and won't seal. The pipe is bent wrong also and hits the transfer case and I can't get the transfer case brace on. Going to do a one inch ORD body lift to get some room.
    Found that I had put some ungraded bolts in the driverside engine suport bracket. Lasted about 2 years before I sheared them off in the last couple of months [​IMG] Put some grade 8's in there and got the engine to come up about 1/2 inch. Seeemed to cure some weird noise I had when I would turn the wheels.
    Mounted some Bosch monster lights (more welding involved [​IMG]) I got used from a friend for $20 for a pair. These were $90 EACH new 10 years ago. He got them for $20 about 10 years ago when he was a Mac Tool man. He had a trucking company that he serviced and when new trucks were bought they stripped stuff that could get broken including these lights. These came off a Volvo/White tractor. They are driving style but they put the Sylvainia halogen headlights I run to shame. I think it's time to go get them Hella Head lights for the trucks.
    Made a list of stuff I need to do. Longer than I thought.
    Cab mounts are shot. So is the transfer case mount, the 2 year old Autozone motor mounts (arrrrrrgggggg). Need to get the extended front shackles. Spring and frame are hitting under full compression. So need to call Stephen at ORD and place an order.
    Wrenching my truck sure does calm me down. I know it's silly but sometimes just spending the day in the garage doing maintence and upgrading stuff is relaxing....if there is no hurry like a trail ride in 4 hours hahah.
    Anybody else find peace in tinkering on their trucks? I know it sounds funny but even with the couple of welding boogers that went up my sleave it sure was nice just to tinker and gets some stuff done.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

2. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Mods and tinkering would be nice if I had a big enough garage to fit the truck in with a heater [​IMG] One day. Also, if I quit forgetting where I put a tool everytime I put it down...seem to have that problem more times than not.[​IMG]
    My motor mounts are shot and that keeps sending the fan into the shroud everytime I step on it from stop. So, waiting on ORD to send out their motor mounts (talk about $$$) to fix this, getting annoying.

Sounds like you got quite a list there for dollar. Nothing you can't handle :) Congrats on the new welder too!

Pic of my truck Before N' After
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BeforeNAfter>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BeforeNAfter</a>

3. schwinnd

schwinnd 1/2 ton status

I'd have to agree, I get lots of satisfaction out of working on my rig. I spent Saturday putting in new u-joints in the front driveshaft and changed the diff fluid. Funny thing was I was scraping the layer of crud off the diff cover to find that the previous owner had put a chrome on one.[​IMG] Now I'm just stylin' with that up front.[​IMG] Of course I still have a weird vibration in my drivetrain at 60mph and up. Can't figure it out. New ujoints throughout and no lift. Must be a mount or something.
    Dave

Just collecting rusty mid-70's chevy's
    1976 Blazer, 1975 Vega SW

4. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Hey Grim,

Sounds like you did have a productive day. My problem is I never have time to tinker these days. I have a bunch of new parts waiting to be installed, and no time. My Job has me very busy, and out of town for weeks at a time. Here's a small list to give you an idea of what I have to install:

Missouri Offroad Outfitters rear shock mount kit
    On Board Air - have everything, need to install it
    Dual Batteries
    Reweld front receiver for winch
    Warn Full Floater rear axles
    Rock Sliders welded into rocker boxes

Some other things I need to do consist of: Junkyard browsing, looking for Dana 44 front shafts for spares. Buying a fresh motor from a friend, needs installed. Front fender/wheel well trimming (for new 39.5" tires), Relocate front axle 1-2" forward. Would like to do 3" single exhaust with Flowmaster.

Its cool to read what you have been up to and I agree, when I work on my K5, it is relaxing. I installed my Crossover steering in just a few hours, and It was very relaxing. I like it when things go well. Heck, I even still enjoy working on the rig when things are not quite so well. So, keep us posted on your progress. I am hoping to make a trip down your way next summer and wheel with the Big Dogs!

Mudzer 1978/91 K5
    <font color=blue><a target="_blank" href=http://www.mudzer.rockcrawler.com>www.mudzer.rockcrawler.com</a></font color=blue>

5. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I know exactly what you mean. I could spend all day tinkering on the truck, even w/o getting anything serious accomplished. Its almost like bonding with the truck.
    Put in a new starter and ORD disconnects then just sat there and looked at it for a half hour. Got a rattling now and I think it is the cotter pins or the handles on the disconnect pins, so I'll check that out tonight. Now I need to pick from the list of what to do next. I need tires, 4" lift? or rollbar and a tuffy box for now and lift it later?

Rob

<font color=orange>Bleedin' Chevy Orange</font color=orange><P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Rob 85K5 on 12/10/01 01:26 PM.</FONT></P>

6. eds77k5

eds77k5 1/2 ton status

this k5 thing is gettin to me, since my operation in june (lost a kidney to cancer) i had been thinking about buying an old beater and fixing it up to go wheelin in the mountains around here, first i found ck5 on the net and then i found a blazer, the anticipation of getting it ready for the trail and thinking about where to go is great, the peace and joy of working on this old rig has been well worth all the scraped knuckles and money, i get a real sense of accomplishment when a job is done, probably takes me a lot longer to get it done but it sure is fun! :) and i know i am addicted because i have been lookin at welders lately :o

"growin old is not for sissies"
    77k5 400/350/np203/stock for now

7. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I need to build me a garage to work in..It gets cold outside. But yes when I get a day to do all the little things that need to get done. I do feel better...Dan

If it ain't broke.......Don't fix it....
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Gokartergo>KLICK</a>

8. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Glad you had a good time Grimmy! I didn't get anything done today, except bought another heater core. Needed to get business done so I can go ski tomorrow. Today would've been a better ski day, but work got in the way of a good time.

I do like working on the truck, even with not knowing how to do very much. I'm learning as I go, with everyone's help here (which I very much appreciate - thank you all).

And I have sat and just looked at stuff in the truck for an hour at a time. Once the confusion subsides, it is relaxing. Just wish the days were longer, or it would fit in the garage, so I could play in the evenings.

9. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

I hear ya on the garage dan! Right now at TorkDSR's place we have a barn under construction. 30' x 40', 17 foot high at the peak, one 10' w x 8' high door, one 12' w x 13' high door, and a walkin door. And a CONCRETE FLOOR!! no more rolling the creeper around on the nasty busted up asphalt driveway! Heat! lights to work after dark! protection from all sorts of precipitation! this is unheard of! I cant wait to get the garage finished. (cause we are gonna put on my new lift in it)

-matt
    <font color=blue>86, 350, 35"TSL's</font color=blue><font color=red>Lop Sop Doi Off-Road</font color=red>
    www.chevyhedk5.tripod.com

10. BAD LUCK 79'

BAD LUCK 79' 1/2 ton status

some of ya'll are lucky ... you either already have a garage or at least a place to put one... I live on a military base and if the base cops see you doing any major maintinance in your driveway you get a ticket.... as for weilding... don't even think about it in base housing.... the only place we got to do major work is the auto hobby shop... it's got a few lifts and alot of the major tools.... but there hours suck.... closed mondays... open 4-7 tues to friday and open 12-7 on the weekend... i don't know how they expect you to get anything done on a vehicle.....

BAD LUCK is better than no luck at all!!!!
    Is it bad that my truck is older than my wife?

11. GRINCH

GRINCH 1/2 ton status

Know about the rattle thing, Even though the Blaze is 12 years young , can't stand a noise...

I ended up folding the D-ring up and securing it with a strap tie ,which is easly broking off when I want to disconnect.

The Few, The Proud, The K5 Blazer

12. Gold Rush

Gold Rush 1/2 ton status

I would have to say that also relaxes me when I work on my Blazer. If nothing else it's just the sense of accomplishment.

David

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.extremeblazer.com>ExtremeBlazer</a>

13. Grim-Reaper

My problem is while I have a garage it's not very big. The truck still clears the door but if I intend on being able to work on it I have to leave it hanging partly out. There is also one of my other project vehicls in the garage. My 1970 Pontiac LeMans Sport convertable. It takes up more floor space than the K5's.
    Engine swaps are a pain. On the Lady's truck there is about 1/2 inch clearence on the core suport and about 1/2 inch at the ceiling with NO leveler and her truck is stock on 31's. I don't think I could pull the engine on Dollar in the garage..
    I hate getting into jobs like that when I know I will not be able to finish it in one day. While my neighbor hood is pretty quiet and never heard of any break in leaving my garage open still concerns me. I have a lot of tools including welder and compressor. Scared somebody will come and rip me off.

Skigirl I have to say I'm impressed with you. There are a lot of guy's here that wouldn't get into the heater core repair that you dove into. Your doing fine with it. Any repair work is just a series of smaller steps. If you pay attention as you go along there is no problem.
    The list of stuff you got for that truck sounds awsome! It's going to be a sweet rig when you get it done. Well they never seem to get done LOL. I am already looking at mods I swore I wouldn't need to do. I want about another 2 inches in the back, need to get the cross over done Looking at new tires. Probably 35's, going to go with a 3 inch offset on the rims and some rear spacers to get the wheels out to help protect the body Unfortunatly that will be the point where it may no longer fit in the garage.
    Last 6 months I have managed to rip the hell out of both rear quarters. It aint pretty! In the las 2 years I have ripped out 6 tail lights on boulders. Destroyed a Gas cap and caved in both doors LOL. I'm going to mount a set of rear 1/4s that are straight with Dzus fastenters and cut the crumpled steel off. When I go wheeling I'll just remove the fenders LOL.
    These trucks are pretty simple and easy to work on. That's one of my biggest draws to mine. I almost never get mad at it when dooing a repair (except when I get a welding booger down a sleave or coller LOL). I love my supra but stuff is so tight on it that it's a pain to work on. Heck to give it a Tune up I have to remove part of the intake to get and #3,4 plugs!. I got a starter going bad on it and I'm dreading it. Absolute pain to replace the way it's mounted. If I had my own engine hoist I would seriously think about pulling the engine to do the swap. It's that bad and my big hands and arms just cant get up into the positions needed to do the work.
    Ohh I got one other thing fixed...My Speedo. It quit on me. there was a small gear box to adjust the speed and it came appart and locked. the drive sheared off in the part in the case. It twised as it broke and nothing I could do to remove it. I replaced the drin in the transfer case when I put a new chain in it but about a week later the speedo quit again. Sometimes it would bounce. Well somehow the end at the speedo wasn't fully locked in and it was just hanging. I had also done a gear swap while it wasn't working. When it was working before the gear sway it read about 10mph slow. Got it working and the stupid thing is only about 1.5 mph fast now hahahaha. To bad I'm about to put bigger tires on it and screw it up again.

75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

14. Grim-Reaper

Updated My Photo Album

Well I played with another new toy today The Lady and I bought ourselves for X-Mas A digital camera [​IMG].
    Updated My CK5 Members site this morning including a Dixie run aftermath photos if the now well messaged rear Quarter pannel. I need to shuffle some pictures around between my Picture sites. sorry.
    Enjoy!

75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

15. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Well, Grimmy, thanks for the compliment... let's see how it holds up when I try to get the Darn thing back together! I do dive into things... but that may only be that I'm too ignorant to know better! Really tho, I actually like doing this stuff, but I am much more confident because I have all you guys here to fall back on. It makes a huge difference for me.

I do like all the space in the engine compartment, but with the truck lifted 4" and me being short... I climb up a ladder and throw a 2 X 12 across the the fenders and lay on it to work on stuff towards the back. It's like I disappear in there!

So you have yet another project you hadn't mentioned! You crack me up!

I agree they never get done. Guess it's a lot like houses. They don't get done either. Or closets. They don't get done ever (I think it's a natural law of inertia).

But really, what would happen if you DID finish all the mods you could come up with - I suspect you'd just wheel it all the more and need to fix the next thing you trashed doing some kind of awesome climb straight up the face of some cliff.

And it's security for the rest of us. You'll be around for a long time to help bail our sorry butts out of mecanical hell.

Hey, I like the idea of removable fenders. But what's that *I'm going to mount a set of rear 1/4s that are straight with Dzus fastenters and cut the crumpled steel off.* mean? The rear 1/4's and Dzus fasteners part?

Re: *Got it working and the stupid thing is only about 1.5 mph fast now hahahaha. To bad I'm about to put bigger tires on it and screw it up again.* ROTFLMAO!!!!

BTW, I didn't work on the rig today. I SKIIED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Was a great day. But I have the new core. Tomorrow I check out that seal in the cowl and see if that plugs the leak. If so, then new core in and back together it all goes. Then I POR-15 the inside, and off for Linex.

Oh, you know that insulation and tar cover thing by the heater core that's trashed? I thought I'd fashion a replacement by taking some of the new insulation stuff I got from Summit, (it's that silver wrapped stuff) attach dynamat to the insulation , then glue on some roofing paper (tar paper) to the dynamat. Then if herculiner will stick to the tar paper, I thot I'd roll some on the whole thing so it doesn't look ugly (sorry, it matters to girls...). Ahhh, the great experiment. I'll let you know if it works.

16. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

Grim,

I too am a master to the Blazer icon in my garage. As Grim knows me well, I will explain in more detail.

I have to say that if it was not for my Blazer and or my K10 72 4x4 pickup (AKA therobzilla), I probably would have had a nervous breakdown already. I am employed by a fortune 500 company and have an extremely stressfull job. The travel and boss are sometimes tough to deal with.

I first had the 72 pickup and started the weekend repair and tinkering on it. It was amazingly relaxing. The time just flew by, no thoughts of the jerkoff boss or the stress of the job. The kids in the yard, playing in the grass on bright sunny spring or fall day, wanting to take a ride in the back of the truck when the small project was done. Life just did not get any better. The wife loved the fact that I would be around the house and the kids were out of her hair for the afternoon. The best side effect, major bonding time with my son. (And the Truck/Blazer).

My truck mods got done and then, we got transfered from GA to AZ with the company. Spend 8 months commuting from Atlanta to Phoenix, every week, no time for repair or bonding time, life got to be a huge stress pot. The kids were not happy, the wife was majorly unhappy, all work and no play make for a wheeler a very unhappy person.

The we finally settled down into house in Phoenix, after almost a year of commuting. 3 car garage, and before we left GA I purchased a 72 Blazer from a friend in our club. No I can truely say that I probably enjoy the repairs and tinkering the most out of everthing. I have swapped motors out of my pickup (350 TPI) into the Blazer, rewired the complete wiring on the blazer, and added all the mods, rock lites, onboard air compressor, Warn off road lights, front and rear bumpers, trottle control for air compressor, including dual air tanks for the onboard air. Dual batteries, external trans filter and additional trans cooler with braded Earls hoses. The list goes on an on, the best part. The kids are back in the yard playing, or riding bikes, the wife loves the fact that I am doing something that I enjoy, and the stress is much more manageable. The best part, the wife and the kids love to ride in the blazer. It sits up quite high in the air, and they love the open top syndrome.

Life is about balance, and some thing are needed to balance life. For me it's Family, Wheeling and Job. I can honestly say that my tinkering and my trucks has probably saved my life.

17. Grim-Reaper

Dzus Fastener is a quick release deal. Give it a 1/4 turn and it will release. See them on race cars.

75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

18. Grim-Reaper

&lt;Sniff&gt; I love you man..... hahaha.
    You still going to try to get back here for the winter madness run?
    I got to get out your way and see the new rig. didn't get to see if before you moved. Looks sweet in the pictures. I have a Grandfather (sort of, hard to explain) In Pheonix that I haven't seen in years. He's around 90. Like to see him and let him meet his great grand daughters.
    He's fairly well know in music circles. He makes and restores guitars, violins ect. hahahaha He lives in a trailer and has Stratavarius's that he's restoring in his less than secure shop LOL. He made my sister a guitar and mandolin about 15 years ago from a Cherry tree stump he went and dug up in a old homestead. Did this amazing pearl inlay with Mahogany accents. Everybody that has any tallent that has played them freaks at the sound quality.
    Hay what you think about Paul and Karen? hahaha I think Paul is going to make and awsome Dad.
    TTYL

75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

19. Grim-Reaper

&lt;Sniff&gt; I love you man..... hahaha.
    You still going to try to get back here for the winter madness run?
    I got to get out your way and see the new rig. didn't get to see if before you moved. Looks sweet in the pictures. I have a Grandfather (sort of, hard to explain) In Pheonix that I haven't seen in years. He's around 90. Like to see him and let him meet his great grand daughters.
    He's fairly well know in music circles. He makes and restores guitars, violins ect. hahahaha He lives in a trailer and has Stratavarius's that he's restoring in his less than secure shop LOL. He made my sister a guitar and mandolin about 15 years ago from a Cherry tree stump he went and dug up in a old homestead. Did this amazing pearl inlay with Mahogany accents. Everybody that has any tallent that has played them freaks at the sound quality.
    Hay what you think about Paul and Karen? hahaha I think Paul is going to make and awsome Dad.
    TTYL

75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

20. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Thanks. Sounds like it should have been standard equipment for blazers [​IMG]