Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Well, I killed my Tranny

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by zcarczar, Feb 29, 2004.

1. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

My tranny finally gave up the ghost, I'm honestly suprised it lasted this long. Ive ran it low on fluid a couple times, and got it a little warm towing one too many times. Oh and yes I am putting a 700R4 back in it, just dont know which one yet, its either a GM unit with the 3 year warranty or its a Bowtie OD stage 2. Just sucks cause now I wont be able to make it to TDS like I wanted to. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif Maybe If I didnt do this all the time I wouldnt break my damn truck all the time. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[​IMG]

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Maybe If I didnt do this all the time I wouldnt break my damn truck all the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

What fun would that be if you had to baby it? Must be a 700R-4 thing...I don't get it. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

Rene

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

/forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

And another one bites the dust.....

And its a weak POS, a weak POS, and another 700 bites the dust.........

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

hahaha nice song tim

5. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

I dont baby my truck, my friend gets on my case cause when i get stuck i get on the gas. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif My trans has been screwed up for a while now, it wouldnt lock up anymore, and it would shudder leaving a stop. I dont know who rebuilt it sooo I would imagine they didnt do a very good job, I dont know how old it is too. But It lasted me 2 years and 20k miles so im happy, I bet after I get my new trans in my engine will take a crap cause its startin to make nice noises.

6. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

Man that sucks about the tranie but i could never get tired of staring at pictures of your truck. its just too sweet! /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

7. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i wouldnt call them peices of sh!t at all...there a good tranny..there just not the right one for this type of application...i would prresonally put a 400 in its place..

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    i wouldnt call them peices of sh!t at all...there a good tranny..there just not the right one for this type of application...i would prresonally put a 400 in its place..

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif good choice!

9. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Th400-no, 4L80-E-Yes, I need the OD cause I run 4.88's, and Its very hard to carry on a conversation with the engine screaming at 3500 RPM at 70 on the freeway. I beat the hell out of my 700, I thought I killed it 6 months ago when I blew a cooler line off and pumped 2 quarts of fluid out on the freeway and drove it home in 100* heat across the desert. O yeah and if 700's are soooo crappy how come Watson runs one in Wally? /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

10. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

The reason why we here about more th700's going south than any other is because probably 50% of the members have th700's! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif The other 50% or so is divided up between 400's, 350's, 465's, 4500's, etc. No wonder we here about stock th700's blowing up with tons of miles on them being beaten to hell with big tires, tall gears, big HP molesting them. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

I here a story here and there about th350's going south too not to mention a th400 every once and a while.

[ QUOTE ]
    I wouldnt call them peices of sh!t at all...there a good tranny..there just not the right one for this type of application...i would prresonally put a 400 in its place..

[/ QUOTE ]
    I call BS, I would bet my pink slip that my built th700 is as strong or stronger than a stock th400 in decent shape. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

zcarczar: I don't know if you are interested but I know a guy here in Modesto that owns a tranny shop and would get you a good deal and build you one hell of a th700 just like mine, less than a GM or bowtie tranny. Hipinion is bringing his limping th700 to him soon as he has the cash. Let me know if you are interested. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

11. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I call BS, I would bet my pink slip that my built th700 is as strong or stronger than a stock th400 in decent shape

[/ QUOTE ]

so if one wanted a poser truck all they have to do is show a 1/2 at best tranny is weaker then a t400?
    give your head a shake man
    the shear size of the components is enough to have you lose that wager
    your "built" POS has what exactly installed that makes it so cool? a couple extra frictions and a valve body reprogram kit?
    other then replacing every piece with higher strength material you are not going to beat a t400
    rebuilder claims that it can hold XX hp are based on surface area of the clutches
    when the clutches wear it slips (and vice versa), not tragic
    also not the determining factor in the strength of the box
    this is not the only site or place or application that 700r4 deaths are reported
    your 50% membership usage is not a valid arguement
    2wdr guys kill them as well, as do car guys

12. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

I have had my 700 go out 3 times since I have had the truck, but it is still a good trans. The proplem I have had is the guys doing it. It went out 3 weeks after I bought it and I saw the parts that came out of it. I very piss poor job. Then the jack asses I had rebuild it have done it the other 2 times. A friend of mine had his done by the same people and it went out too. That is the builder, not the trans. Bowtie Overdrives can build a 700 to stand up to 900 hp. If a 700 can stand up to that, it isn't a bad transmission.

13. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I don't base my comments on 'orginal' tranny failures. I see way more 700R-4's with extremely early failures after rebuild than any other automatic out there. Raptors and other big name 'built' tranny's lasting either just past the warranty or not even making it out of warranty.

Why does Stephen run a 700R-4? Probably for the low first gear...lord knows he doesn't need the overdrive. Wally never sees pavement anymore anyways.

The 700R-4 is a poor design with weak parts. Drive it nicely, maintain it religiously, don't add any 'performance parts' and it'll prolly last 100,000 miles without complaint. Try to build it to be reliable in a harsh performance application and you're asking for it to leave you stranded somewhere. You can't polish a turd.

Rene

14. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

My 700r4 is lasting just fine...

In my s10 behind a monstorous 2.8L /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

15. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    your "built" POS has what exactly installed that makes it so cool? a couple extra frictions and a valve body reprogram kit?
    other then replacing every piece with higher strength material you are not going to beat a t400

[/ QUOTE ] Sorry to disapoint you because you think it just has a few add on stuff but.... half of my tranny has been replaced with aftermarket hardened/bigger parts. I have a mix of corevette/late model 4l60&80/and aftermarket parts in my "built POS"( /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif). The sun gear, cast converter splines, early 7 vein pumps, and rear planetary gears are the weakest points ( the planetaries are adopted from a th350 by the way), once you take care of those weak points then you have a decent transmission. There are plenty of other upgrades that need to be done to make it really capable like late model sprags, extra clutch packs, modified valve body, and obviously a good positive shift kit. There are other upgrades that I have forgotten about over time since mine was done, not to mention I am very tired right now. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    The th400 in our C30 took a dump a few months back and never really saw much abuse besides some decently heavy loads that was well in it's capabilities and finally died after about 100,000 miles. My stock rebuilt th700 that I rapped over many times endured plenty of mud, towing, racing, back to back pulling, 3.08 gears w/33's, plenty of shift hunting, my built 406 for a short period of time, and was still alive when I finally took it in and had it completely rebuilt with all the stronger internal parts that I listed above. My new one has never missed a beat and I don't let up on it for sure! I have done more deep mud and mud drag racing than I ever have before when I stepped up to 3/4 gear, 35" boggers and my built motor and has withstood everything with ease. It's just like old times MJ...I remember a year ago arguing about the strength of my built th700 and you blabering your nonsence about me being on borrowed time and that it will never last. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif
    It's still going strong and I will remind you again in another year or so. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    so if one wanted a poser truck all they have to do is show a 1/2 at best tranny is weaker then a t400?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Don't be stupid /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif, I don't care if you think my truck is a "poser" or not. The "poser" crap is getting old.
    I like my truck the way it is and it is very capable and nice, if it was yours you could do whatever you wan't with it but it's not and I have a lot of hard work, time, and money in it so regardless of if you like it or not...show a little respect. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Here we go again....

Damnit Bobby just quit while you're ahead. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

17. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    Here we go again....

Damnit Bobby just quit while you're ahead. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Don't worry, I'm basically done with him /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

That's good because when he gets out his picture bank you'd be done. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

19. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

on the other hand my 465 which has over 300,000 miles on it just keeps getting new gear oil, doesn't miss a beat of abuse and gets ground till i find them.....rebuild this or that and dump tons of money in them just to do it a year or two later..... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

Thornbirds are tirdbirds to most and the world to others just as auto trannies get the name slushboxes there is a reason more than majority rules

although i can't seem to kill the 2wd th350 i have in my 85 chebby

20. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

I thought about putting in my two cents here but its usless, y'all know what I run, and I know that I am hard on it.

But what I am not going to do is sit here and try to convince the unconvicable. Consider this anallogy: Arguing this subject is like trying to tell a fat person to eat healthy. You might think that there is something horribly wrong and you try to convince them to change thier ways, but from thier point of view there is nothing wrong and they are going to keep doing what they are doing. Thats the way I see it.

I am running a 'Built' POS to some of y'all behind a healthy 383. If I kill this tranny, I'll kill it.

Will I think about swapping to a manual tranny? (NV4500) YES

Will I do it? NO