Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Well I think I found my Bumpsteer problem

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by vdubbin86, Jun 2, 2002.

1. vdubbin86

vdubbin86 Registered Member

I took the truck to the place I used to work and put it up on the lift to check it out. The good part is that my front end is nice and tight. The bad part is my rear leafs are cracked. I think this is what is giving me the bumpsteer, cause I have been noticing lately that it seems to be comming more from the rear than the front. Anyone else have this problem?

Looks like I'm in the market for some 4" rear lift springs.

2. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I had the same thing happen with the cracked leafs (both sides mains were cracked) but bumpsteer wasn't much of an issue. Double check your shocks while your in there, that could promote a lot of rear end wander with broken leafs. hows your pitman and steering arm angles?

3. vdubbin86

vdubbin86 Registered Member

The angles look fine to me. (untrained eye) But the rear end is what is wandering. The right rear shock is leaking also. So hopefully when I replace the springs and shocks in the rear my problem will go away. Which is ok cause I was planning on replacing the rear springs with 4" lift springs to get rid of the blocks anyway.

Any reccomendations on shocks that work well with a 4" lift?

Thanks

4. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Depends on what you do. The dual purpose guys really like the Rancho 9000's for street and crawling. The street/pre-runner guys like the Doesche techs because they ride soft and they still crawl well. I have ProComp ES3000's all the way around which were stiff on my 33's at low speeds but did well at higher speeds like washboard roads, they dont do well with my 38's now for anything but crawling / freeway speeds are a mess with them. The RS5000s are stiff as well with similar results as the ES3000's. I think we'd all like to get a set of Kings / Fox / Bilsteins so I won't even go there.

For myself, I'm looking into the Doesche Techs if I can get them as long as the Rancho 9000's... but the 38's might require and external reservoir shock to stay cool enough to be effective and most multishock applications ride too rough for me!

5. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Same thing caused my problems, tho mine caused more as a horrible, side to side rolling of the cab that wouldn't stop. I think that bumpsteer was there too, but overshadowed by the roll.