Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Well, I'm calmed down now!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dontoe, Apr 29, 2005.

1. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm normally a very safety conscious fellow. Well canoeing, riding my Harley, wheeling, hiking dangerous places..............caution is normally on my mind. Running chainsaws, bush-hogging the lower pasture, etc,

That's why I'm so shocked I suppose!

Yesterday, I installed a MSD ignition that I bought to go with my Blower. It retards the timing as the boost comes up to prevent detonation. Set the timing and new plugs, gapped of course. Well, now it was idling to fast, since it was running more efficiently. So, I want to set the idling down quite a bit. It did about 10 miles an hour at idle when I test drove it. I don't have parking brakes yet, rear Caddy brakes but no cables hooked up yet. I get "one" chock and proceed to lower the idle. The choke is keeping the idle up now so I just barely blip the throttle linkage..............................OH $HIT!
    It jumps the chock, knocks me off a 10 gallon bucket I'm standing on and heads toward my parts truck ('82 K-10). I tilt my head back so the mirror misses me, I'm pressing my back hard against the '73 K-5 hoping the rear tire misses my feet! They do, and as the rear bumper passes me I chase the dang thing, jerk the door open and reach for the brake pedal just as it comes to a halt, rear tires spinning in the gravel (rear Detroit). Switch it off and dread looking at the damage as I walk around the front. Hot dang! It stopped about a foot short of the K-10. The 10 gallon bucket got jammed against the front axle slowing it enough so that when it ran over a cut down 55 gallon plastic drum I use for cleaning parts, that stopped it! Only damage ended up being me bucket and me nerves. :eek:

Post script:
    I now have two chocks made out of chain-sawed railroad ties as well as more respect for the torque of a SBC!!!! :crazy:

2. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Blower? You're putting a blower on the K5??? :eek:

3. dontoe

Oh, yea! I built this engine for my K-10, then got another K-10 and before I got it installed I gave the truck to my wife! Now it's going in the '75. Later this year, after I get a garage built!

O-miles on it!!! Bling, bling..........vrroom vrooooom!

[​IMG]

4. nerraw117

nerraw117 1/2 ton status

5. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Thats nice dood :)

6. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Now I remember. You posted that before

7. dontoe

My turn...............

cough "Repost" cough

8. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

I watched a guy start his truck (from under the hood) while it was in drive and apparently without an e-brake. When it caught it started movin, he jumps out the way and then his truck proceeds to plow into the back of my truck parked about 8 feet away. I couldn't believe my eyes as I just watched it happen.

9. JNygard

JNygard Registered Member

Hey that motor looks real nice! Looks similar to the 383 I built.

I noticed the edelbrock carb on it. When I first setup mine with an edelbrock I could not get it jetted properly. So I went with the Holley 700cfm super charger carb. It has manifold referenced power valve. Just thought I would pass it along if you get into problems tuning that setup.

Holley Supercharger Carbs

10. OffRoad

OffRoad 1/2 ton status

holy crap!
    you're putting a blower on a blazer?!?!?

post some vids/pics of that thing "gettin it" through a mud pit.

11. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

How much boost are you going to run?

estimated power?

sure would be nice to hear the scream of a blower when you lay into it. :saweet: :saweet: :saweet: :saweet: :saweet:

12. dheavychevy38

dheavychevy38 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Stuff like this happens alot my friend works at a goodyear his boss forgot to put a van all the way into park and as he got out the truck drove off the alignment rack and pined him against the wall thank god all's he got was a bruised knee

13. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

somethin like this happened at my old job out at holiday harbor.... one of our employees parked the 454 flatbed and didn't put the e brake on. It slipped out of park and rolled down a hill and it hit, rolled over, and killed another employee... you probably heard about it if your in Northern cali. some sad sh$t. his parents sued the hell out of holiday harbor but the dude was hella cool and was only like 26 years old.

14. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Ya, our replacement unit in Iraq (which will remain nameless) wasn't "on the ground" 24hrs without a misshap. About eight of us were standing in a plywood office which sits four feet off the ground (mates to a shop trailor). I'm talking and out of the corner of my eye I see a 5 Ton Tractor backing up at a good clip; "hey he's getting kinda close" I'm thinking. BAM! Holy Crap!

The driver popped it in gear with the hand throttle pulled out. Didn't hurt the build much (I had a good carpenter) but it sure woke us up. :crazy: