Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Well, in the built not bought spirit of things.....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by bigcountryk5, Aug 14, 2005.

1. bigcountryk5

bigcountryk5 1/2 ton status

I've been thinking about making a kegerator and was wondering if anyone else had given it a shot? or had some decent plans to give me some kinda idea where to start up.... it doesn't seem like it would be all that hard plus i could customize it to my liking :D just thinking outloud right now but i think it could be done fairly cheaply so any input or ideas fellas :ears:

2. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

A 1" hole saw, some silicone sealant, and you are good to go... My parent's tapped theirs out the front, but I think they look cooler on top... plus it's easier to close the door that way.

3. bigcountryk5

how muck money did they have to drop on regulators line's CO2 tank the fridge etc????

4. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

5. roadhawg

roadhawg 1/2 ton status

the reason i came out the side originally is because it was in a location next to a wall that ajoined my bar so the tap came out on the other side of the wall, simular to what you might see in a real bar. I bought the kegorator conversion kit (keg coupler, Tap, lines, dual regulator, and CO2 tank) on ebay. it came from www.beveragefactory.com You can go there and look at their kits and parts plus they have a great faq page and knowledge base. all their stuff is industrial grade just like the bars use, no plastic. You might also be able to find it used cheaper on ebay. I already had the spare fridge and the kit cost me around 160 dollars.
    I built a shelf in the bottom of the fridge because i was leary of setting a 200 pound keg on the bottom plastic. It cost 7 dollars to fill the co2 bottle and it supposedly lasts 4 kegs. I am on my 3rd keg and the gauge still says full. My advice to you if you like cold beer like i do is to find an old fridge that will freeze a gallon of water on the bottom shelf. My fridge is not even 1/2 way up to the coldest setting and i can pour it into a dry frozen mug and the beer will freeze over.
    Beer will freeze at 28 degrees so i wouldnt recommend using a freezer unless you change the thermostat. I goto Arkansas or Missouri to buy my kegs because the beer in oklahoma sucks. The full keg of any american beer runs 75 to 90 dollars. I had my first keg for 4 months and the beer did not go bad. I only wish the kegs would last 4 months now but too many people Know about my kegorator and how good the beer is when its free. :crazy:
    If you have any questions you can PM me or post them right here for others....
    Hope this helps you out.....
    Mike

6. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

too sweet dude too sweet:bow:

7. bigcountryk5

holy crap that is EXACTLY what i'm talkin about :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: that is by far the most extremely pimp thing i've seen all week!!

so you say you got approw 160$ in the kit you got my plan as of right now is to find a used fridge/freezer(with a temp. regulator) and make it. my idea is to try and keep it at or under 250$ (not including keg but everything else) any advice is welcome :D

8. bigcountryk5

i will be spending the est of the evening here--->SWEET

all i can say is DROOL!! :saweet:

9. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

I lucked into a purpose built kegerator. It had been collecting dust in a buddy's garage. I think I have about 200 into it. I got a new regulator, tap and lines. The old ones just looked nasty. I got a 10# CO2 bottle as well. But it is too big to fit in the box, so I knocked the top off the spout tower and ran the pressure line through that. I did have a real problem with condensation from the open 3" diameter hole. However I attribute that to the 100% humidity and lack of air conditioning in New Orleans. At least the beer was cold.

If you have any homebrew places near you, I have always found them happy to help. After all, they enjoy beer too.