Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Well it finally happened...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Drey, Dec 6, 2005.

1. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

I put my blazer in the ditch tonight. I came round a corner and got on it to hard, the back end came around and I went forward down into the ditch. If it wasnt full of snow I probably would of rolled it, of course if the road didnt have snow on it I wouldnt of lost control probably. Anyway had a friend pull me out...and my hands are still shaking. First time ever...Im sure this will be the ticket to get me to quite driving like im in a road race now.

Any else have any stories about their first time ina wreck or a ditch. My friends couldnt beleive ive never gone in the ditch, because im the oldest one and the only one who hadnt gone into one. So much for the streak.

2. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I used to speed a lot when I was younger but after a while it gets old and you start to think of those who you could hurt.

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i put my 2wd s10 in the ditch once, going down a icy dirt road to fast. i touched the gas and the rear end slid a little, i let off and it came back. i did it a second time and it came back. i did it a third time and it didn't come back. i hit a 2' high bank sideways going about 45 and it spun around and was completely off the road on top of the 2' bank facing the opisite way i was going.
    the nearest house was about a 1/4 mile away, i walked down to see if i could get some help, but all he had was a 2wd ranger. so i got some shovels and went shoveling. about 2 hours later, a semi came down the road and stopped to help. he seen it and said "you must have been going preaty fast to get it in that far", " i was going this way" he just shook his head in awe. the funny this is that there were no tracks going to where it was sitting.

it scarred the **** out of me because about 3' from where my truck was sitting was a line of trees. it looked like i was going to hit them when i went in.

after that, i bought a 4wd truck and purposly tried to get stuck, but i can't :( :haha::haha::haha:

4. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I've only hit the ditch once before. We were filming a movie for a school project. Basically, we were suppost to be advertising something (I don't remember what) but I played the role of a creeper who was starting through some girl's window after she got outta the shower (lol), but yeah, after she catches me, I jump off the balcony into a big pile of snow, then jump into the truck and take off. I had done it like 4 times already, then got on it a bit too hard on the way around the corner and headed for the far ditch, caught myself, but overcorrected, went the other way, overcorrected again, then finally hit the ditch straight in, lol. Only other car we had was a little honda thing, but it didn't stand a chance to pull my C25 outta the ditch, which was up to the bottom of the doors deep, lol Wound up getting pulled out by a front end loader after the guy couldn't get me out with his 4x4 dodge 3/4 ton :P

5. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I put my 97 Sunfire in the ditch along I-87 in upstate (way, way upstate) NY.......the same day i bought it. Had less than 100 miles on it.

Didn't break anything though

6. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

My wife had just bought a 69 Mustang, I was not supposed to drive it. :D

Took it out for a test drive and hit a patch of ice. Put it into a cement culvert at about 50mph and ended up on a golf course next to the road. Bent the frame about 12" vertically on the passenger side, ripped a hole in the oil pan, busted up the grille and headlight housings.

I slept on the couch for about a month and I still hear about it every so often.

7. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

Well the most memorable time....:crazy:

I was driving my first car ('86 T-bird with a 5.0 litre mustang engine +posi) I was 16 probably, and had four of my friends in the car, we're tearing ass around the snow-covered town having a great time fish tailing and doing donuts and stuff. Well we're on the back roads and we start going down a loooong icy hill. I knew what was going to happen. So I calmly tell everyone "ok, do you all see that snow bank at the bottom o the hill?"

"yea"

"Ok, well I'm not going to be able to stop the car so I am going to get it sideways and put the passenger side into the snow bank"

[guy in passenger seat] "DUUUUDE, come on man!"

[everyone else] "Ummm, Ok"

We hit the snow bank perfectly sideways at about 20mph and spent the next hour shoveling with our hands and jumping up and down in the trucnk and pushing from every direction to get it out. No damage of course.

It was awesome :D

8. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

Not my first wreck (my first one was my worst, but that's in another thread), but the first time I wound up in the ditch was one time when it was raining real bad and I was coming around a curve in my high-school ride, a '92 5-speed V6 Ranger and the back end broke loose because I was driving with practically bald rear tires, combined with getting on the loud pedal a bit too hard while coming out of the turn. Did a 270 into the ditch on the opposite side of the road and plowed up part the ground there too with the driver-side front wheel. Fortunately, I was going less than 35 (really, really sharp curve) at the time so no body damage happened. Only real damage that happened was the driver-side front tire was loosened from the bead and the air started to leak out slowly from the cracked bead.

After I got out to calm down from the initial shock of it and then did a quick walkaround to make sure there was no body damage, started her back up and drove on the rest of the way home. Previously mentioned front tire was completely flat by the time I got back to the house.

9. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Probably not.;)

I lost a tie rod going bout 50 mph on an on-ramp. My Blazer went crazy and into the ditch (median) I went. No steering is no fun.:eek1:

10. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

My first and only time was 7 years ago. It was winter here, and I was headed east on Hwy 50 out of town. This 2 lane road has numerous cuts through rock hills. I was driving through one of the cuts when I hit some black ice. The back end started to swing out, so I got off the gas and corrected. The back end swung the other way, so I corrected again. After bout 6 or 7 of these "mood" swings, I realized it wasn't gonna straiighten up and fly right. By this time I was eastbound in the westbound lane, watching a semi get bigger and bigger. I finally cut the wheel hard to the right and did the Jesus maneuver. The back end came around hard, and I hit the rock wall backwards moving about 45 mph. When everything stopped moving, the drivers side of my pickup bed was 4 feet shorter than the passenger side. My tailgate was in the middle of the highway, my tools and toolboxes were laying everywhere. I picked everything up and did a systems check. My taillight did not even break, the impact just folded the bed up to the rear wheelwell! Damn, I had just paid 400 bucks for this cherry bed, and now it was toast. dI drove back home B4 the hipo's spotted me and gave me a ticket. I still drove the truck after that, just had to mount a trailer light on the drivers side. BTW, the rig was a 73 3/4 ton Binder 4X4 with 1st gen Hummer wheels and tires. Those Hummer tires don't work so good on ice.

11. Inu-Hanyou1776

What's the Jesus maneuver exactly? Sounds bad, just want to know exactly what you're talking about.

12. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

That's where you let go of everything, and say "OK, God its up to you".

13. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Blazer back ends get real light in the snow....:D

14. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

I looped mine once goin to pull a buddy of mine out of the mud. Was going through this series of S turns near my house at around 50, in the pouring rain, came around the last one and the road was blocked w/ a wrecked car and 4 or 5 fire trucks. Hit the brakes, back end swung around, held onto it for 3 or 4 tail slaps, then off the edge of the road, spun around backwards. Sliding backwards, in the mud, at 50mph, towards a firetruck(did I mention they were on a bridge over a gulley?), is one of those moments....

Finally slid to a stop beside the first firetruck. Look on the firemans face was priceless, Im sure mine was like :eek1:. Didnt hit anything, save for a tree limb slappin across my windshield as I went off the edge of the road. Dont know how I didnt hit a tree, drove by there the next day and that shoulder looks awful narrow.

15. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

Winter of my sophmore year in high school, I wa driving my dads 87 Ford Ranger. We got let out of school early cause snow was coming down pretty hard. I went to my friends house after we got let out to fix one of her radiator hoses. There was probably 8-10 of snow on the road at this point.

When I leave her house, I have another friend riding with me to go meet some others to go sleding. I leave her neighborhood and begin to intentionally fishtail and spin and such, cause there was no one on the road and it was my first time driving in the snow.

When I finally got to the main road, I decided to take it easy. I passed a plow truck (stupid) so I could go faster. But when I passed it, I lost my bearings to the road surface, cause the snow covered the sidewalks and curbs. I began to slow down and told my friend I couldnt see where the road was. Eventually I saw a sign that would be on a median sticking up out of the snow. It was about 15 feet fron the hood, and I was going about 30 at the time. I turned too sharp and braked just a little too hard, and went into a spin. I figured Id slow pretty fast going sideways, so I did little to correct it. I didnt slow down. I found the curb on the sidewalk side pretty fast, cause it ripped the tire strait from the rim. Still going fast. I see a telephone pole comiing closer to the door. It was slow motion. The pole hit the spot where the fender meets the firewall, buckling the pillar, crushing the fuse box, breaking the dash, shattering the windshield, and jambing the door shut.

Truck was totalled. Learned my lesson, and never had another accident (yet)... I needed practice driving in the snow before i actually did it on the road. I feel much more confident now. I still cant understand why people still do like 60-70mph in the snow, just cause its "front wheel drive" or "has traction control" ... idiots

16. chrisb420

chrisb420 1/2 ton status

bad wreck

my only accident should have killed me, i flipped a 2000 zr2 blazer over 3 or 4 times. i was drunk as a skunk leaving the bar, i didnt even make it a mile down the road before i blacked out, hit the median going somewhere between 50-60 mph. the truck rolled onto its drivers side when it hit and flipped over several times into the oncoming lane. i got thrown out of the truck through the back window after breaking the rear seat on my way out. i landed in a field about 30 feet from where my truck ended up with only two cuts on my left leg and two cuts on my right arm, didn't even go to the hospital. i did end up going to jail for the evening on a dui charge, but that was alot better than being dead. all in all i didnt hurt anyone else i was the only person in the truck and i didnt hit any other vehicles so that was a blessed day for me. i learned alot that night and i will never drink and drive again, the biggest wake up call when i woke up in jail the next morning they handed me my cell phone i had 57 missed calls from 38 diffrent people, it really made me think if i was dead i couldn't call them back. so don't drink and drive.

17. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Readymix was with me back in 1996 when I took a corner too fast in my Geo Metro and hit sand. I put that bitch in the ditch and came about 2 feet from a telephone pole. something about 155/85r13s not gripping that well on a 90 degree corner at 65MPH:doah: .

ira

18. outlawtorn

outlawtorn 1/2 ton status

My only wreck was in a 96 jeep cherokee. I was coming home from a party around 12 ish on a snowing saturday night.... the roads were empty and the sidestreets were unplowed so i figured id have some fun. I drove around for the most part of an hour or more fishtailing, spinning cookies and just having a goodtime... with no harm done to the vehicle and no close calls so far. Well i got bored of that like anyone would so i started to head home... came to a nice clear corner with no cars around so i decided what the hell im gonna try to hang this one out for awhile. I hit the corner going like 25 and just floored it... kept it sideways for awhile and i caught a patch of ice which made me lose it completely... hit the brakes and the ole familiar sound of abs kicked in .... over corrected one way and then back the other... hit a tree head on going about 35. The entire front bumper just fell off, the hood kinked, the fender came back a few inches and the pass light was broke out along with the blinker. I got out tossed the bumper in the back and drove home... best part of the story, it was my moms jeep lol :haha:

19. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Me too, and I'm very thankful that I was lucky enough to never hurt anyone because I was choosing to drive like a moron. Getting a Class A CDL slowed me down a lot.

20. Inu-Hanyou1776

I had another bad accident this past April (happened on Good Friday, of all days), but this time both me and the other person were at fault. It was the first time I felt an airbag too.

I had just finished picking up dad from leaving his company work vehicle at a secure spot and dropping him off several miles away where his personal vehicle was at (long story why I had to do that) and was on my way back home when I came across another interesection, and it was night. This time I was on a 4-lane highway and approaching a just-turned-green light, so I naturally thought it was okay to keep going. Meanwhile flashing lights from a nearby police car turning out of the intersection had distracted both me and the person I hit.

Anyway, because of the distraction, other person didn't notice the light change to green so they didn't take off, and I, having been distracted too, didn't notice that they were still stopped. Next thing I knew, I saw the rear-end of their vehicle getting big in my windshield VERY quickly. Jammed on the brakes, locked it up, and rear-ended them. I was going about 50 mph when I jammed the brakes, and got it whoa'd down to about 40 before I smacked 'em.

Now the airbag light had been flashing in this vehicle, so I thought the airbag was inoperative, but, by the grace of God I think, the airbag deployed. I had my seatbelt on too (I don't even feel comfortable in a vehicle without it on). Thanks to it and the airbag, I walked away again only shaken and with a slight burn on one of my arms from powder residue from the airbag deploying. Again, my vehicle ('93 5-speed Probe this time) was totaled, but their vehicle was a sturdier one (Volvo Station Wagon) so their's didn't suffer any significant damage and was repaired.