Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Well it finally happened...

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by zakk, Apr 23, 2002.

1. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

my 5th trip out to Hollister Hills and i got posion oak. I get it really bad, its already weeping and I might have it in my eye. I am bathing a 50% salt solutions, using calomine and cortizone 10 also.

Does anyone know any other tricks for it?? I am willing to try anything that HAS WORK FOR OTHERS!

thanks!

2. DuneRunner

DuneRunner 1/2 ton status

Now this may seem CRAZY but I've heard from a friend and Tried it myself using Bleach. Pour it over the area and let it dry itself. I guess that it dries out the puss. But the guy who told me said to scratch open the area and then poar it in. I didn't try that! Now with it close to your eye I wouldn't try it.

But there is also this realy "old school" Soap out there in drug stores. The bar is a yellowish brown and slightly ruff. ($2.99) Looks like its from the 1920-30s packageing my dad swares by it. It dries your skin and poars. I'll get the name to you. when I talk to my dad... I'm paranoied (sp) that I got it also. My face is itching but no real signs. YET. GOOD LUCK.

Ps. did you paint the Black Bear or just Primer it? Looks good. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

That SUCKS!!! I get it bad too but so far I think i'm clear!! If you can tolerate a shot I have heard there is a shot that gets rid of it. I hate shots so never gone that route!
    I use that liquid soap that is made fo POak, I forget the name but most drug stores have it...
    Good Luck Bro see ya in June

4. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

First things first, get rid of the clothes that you wore when you got it. The oil from the poison oak plant can last up to a year on your clothes even with repeated washings. I grew up getting the stuf as a mater of fact I can see it out my window right now! Anyways avoid sweating or anything that will make you sweat like a wrist watch and such, this will help it spread. Like it was mentioned before use some of that "old school soap" any pharmasist should be abel to point it out to you. I always wash up first with soap then use cotton balls soaked in alcohal and wipe the infected area, remember wipe one time in one direction if you wipe back and forth you wil spread it. It can take up to 10 cotton balls just to do your fore arm, but hey you want to get rid of it.

5. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

ok, so i need soap, bleach and alcohol. i'll try them all today.

p.s. the Bear is a thick paint/primer concoction that sherwin williams sells. It dies quick and touch up is pretty easy.

6. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

Hey Zakk,

Bummer about the poison oak! I wouldn't try the bleach unless you don't mind some scars. An ex-bf of mine tried that and he ended up with some pretty ugly scars -- kinda looked like burn scars. Just a warning. If it continues to weep, you should go to the dr. (sorry, I know guys don't like the dr./forums/images/icons/wink.gif). They will prescribe steriods that will clear that up in a few days. Just my $.02 on the subject. Good luck.

7. LiftedAssDodge

LiftedAssDodge 1/2 ton status

STERIODS, I CAN GET ALL KINDS OF THAT STUFF HAH

8. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I get it really bad also..I got it last time we were there..I always get the steroid shot..But this freakin doctor didn't want to give it to me..He put me on sreroid pills..Man I was a moody son of a biatch for that week and I still had poison oak..I went back and he gave me the shot..And it was gone in 24 hrs...Dan

9. MilpitasK5

MilpitasK5 1/2 ton status

That's crazy, Zakk! I've never gotten poisen oak but I wanted to add that your Primer Coat looks Sick!!
    I don't know if I'd try the bleach thing without asking a doc...
    Hope you feel better!
    Chris

10. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

i got a PHATTY cortizone shot, I am on the cortizone pills and i used the alcohol, calomine lotion, baking soda bath, salt water soak and the "old skool" bar of soap.

it better be gone soon...i am pulling out all the stops!/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

11. gokartergo

Then it will be gone by tomorrow...Dan

12. DuneRunner

Be sure to wash every thing that you have used 2 or 3 times. I had an old arm jacket that I had worn my freshman year (had it real bad) 2 yrs later. *the type you don't ware or wash all the time* and Blamo All over the arms... itched for 2 weeks. I ended up tossing the jacket. PARANOYA (sp) Good to hear you got the shot...

13. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

You probably got poison oak all over your tires and D60! Hurry, give them to me quick before anyone else gets infected! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif I need to think twice before pissin in the bushes at Hollister. Hope you get better.

14. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

yeah, i love my doc. here is how it when:

me: I need a shot
    Doc: for what?
    Me: Posion oak. cortizone is what i need.
    Doc: ok, roll up your shirt
    Me: stick this arm, it has the $hit on it
    Doc: sounds good
    *stick*

gotta love those who are open to suggestion/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

15. BlazenHeart

BlazenHeart 1/2 ton status

Well Zakk you weren't the only one that got hit by the "oak". I kinda noticed a little rash on the left side of my face, looked in the mirror and low & behold I had poison oak. I After I got off work I drove like a bat o'ta hell to get home to get a stuck in the arm too. My arm hurts like something fears.

<font color=blue>I fick it. All better (kinda)

16. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Hmmm.....Kim Kim Kim.....Must be pretty bad if it's makin you repeat yourself.......LOL!
    Time to hit the "edit" button. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

17. gokartergo

Am I seeing double...LOL

18. BlazenHeart

BlazenHeart 1/2 ton status

Yea I wasn't doing to good last night. I am lucky I even got up this morning, and make it to work.

19. DuneRunner

I've had it to the point where you can't recognize yourself. PIZZA Face is what i went by for a week and a half. (missed school for a week to.) In the winter its the worst. Playing in the snow and knot knowing that the sticks are there.... But at Hollister you could just see the SHINY <font color=green>GREEN LEAVES.</font color=green>

Good luck you two.