Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Well it happened again .blew another 10 bolt

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bckinblk, Oct 26, 2002.

1. bckinblk

bckinblk 1/2 ton status

This is my second axle in 3 years I had 3.42 gears stock when I bought this axle it had 3.73s in it I really like the 3.73s with my 700r4 and 33.s only problem is I blow these 10 bolts up in no time .I am looking for a direct bolt in axle like a 12 or 14 bolt .I know this has been covered many times but I would like to know which year axle will just bolt right in without having to move the spring perches or what will be my best bet with around $400 to work with and what year truck-van axle should I be looking for.thanks in advance for any help I gotta get my k-5 back on the road asap so the easiest most direct bolt in is what I need right now till I can save some $$$ and go 1 ton all around......... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

If your gonna upgrade go directly to 14FF save time and money /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif! IMO Corp12 are not any better than 10 bolts!
    Bill

3. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

If your lookin for ease of upgrade why not throw in a 6 lug 14 bolt? It should hold up fine to 33's.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I would go with the 14 Bolt FF. You will need to conver the front to 8 lug and get new rims all around, or carrie 2 spairs. But the 14 Bolt FF is the strongest. Easy way is to find a junk 3/4 ton truck you can buy for a couple hundred bucks, and pull the axles yourself, swap them in your truck. That way you get a matched set of 3/4 ton axles cheap.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

For a true bolt in look for a 84 and up 3/4 ton pick-up or 'Burb donor axle. If you find a SF 14 you can convert it to 6 lug. The reason to try for 84 and newer is so you get the correct backing plates/E-brake cable setup for your vintage of K5.

Rene

6. bckinblk

bckinblk 1/2 ton status

thanks for the info I found a 1985 2500 in the paper today .Will the pick up spring perches line up with the k-5 springs??

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Yes the perch width and shock mount location is the same for a 3/4 ton and a 1/2 ton...unless the 3/4 ton is 2WD then the shock mounts will typically be too low on the axle tube.

Rene