Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Well, it`s my senior year...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by NEK5, Oct 26, 2006.

1. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

RANT ON: and i dont know what to do. I really dont want to go to college for some reason, and all i have thought to myself of doing is getting a good paying job, and just move up...maybe try and get into USPS,because, hell, its a government job, or even UPS or FedEx...but i`m so confused...i do go in school, A - B student, but i hate it...so that kind of makes me not want to go to college....and it sucks, because i did good on the MCAS, i got a scholarship, which will pay my tuition for 4 years to a state school in mass, all i have to pay for is books and fees, but it would require me to start in the fall of 07, and go full time, which isnt what i wanted to do any way, so, i`m pretty confused....i think just seeing what alot of people around here, that i know, have done, and not one of them has gone to college..2 good neighbors of my buddy have great paying jobs working for AMEX for the past 10-15 years, my buddys dad works for a waterplant, making good money there, and he didnt go to college(i actually considered maybe getting my water license and becoming an operator at his work)....ahhhhh i hate this RANT OFF

2. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

My dad never went to college, and now owns a software company, and is on the board of directors of a multimillion dollar golf course and an oceanfront resort. You can go places without a college degree.

That said, I'm in college right now and I love it. It's so much fun. Aside from getting an education, you'll have some of the best times of your life. Since it sounds like you have the money issue taken care of, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

3. NEK5

well, the only problem is, the scholarship requires me to go full time,which would mean i wouldnt beable to work alot, and since my parents are moving to florida, i`ll most likely be livin in NH

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

The big trend now is everyone needs to go to college , and all parents want to send there kids to college .

I don't believe we ALL should send our children to school .

Who takes the skilled labor , and service industry jobs then ?

Do what you want , enjoy whatever you feel like . If you want to succeed , do it :thumb:

5. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Thats what ive done...I went out into the field. Altough i had prior expierience... I grossed 838.xx last week for 40 hours...Not to mention the 575 that was paid into my benefits... Not too bad for being out of school for a year and a half. From here im only going up... And with a pension and anutity the possibility of retiring at 43 (with no penalties) is very likely. College isnt nessecary for everyone. It wasnt for me and i knew it. I absolutley hated school, i was good at it, but i hated it. There no sence in wasting money/ time if its not whats right for you. I will say though, a college dgree can NEVER ever hurt. Not going can...

6. BigBen

BigBen 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You'll be the best person to decide what is best for you.
    (We all know that anyway, don't we?)

Just remember this: For every person who didn't go to college and came out well there are a LOT more who didn't come out so well. Everyone likes to focus on those rare instances of brilliance and ignore all the others who didn't make it.

Over the long haul, you are MUCH more likely to do 'well' with a college degree.... the odds are just in your favor that way.

Just look at this story from today's news:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061026/ap_on_go_ot/degree_value

My personal opinion is that you have the scholarship and are bright, you owe it to yourself to try it. If you decide to drop out and go the other dirction... at least you'll be making a decision to do so.

If you skip the scholarship and start working, it will be a lot harder to switch and head to college.

that's pretty much the end of my $.02.

-Ben

7. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

There's only three ways to make money in this country.. either you generate it yourself by owning a business, or you inherit it, or you trade hours for dollars in what's commmonly known as a "job"..

If you don't have rich parents, or you don't know the first thing about running a business, you're pretty much stuck with working for someone else. that can be either good or bad depending on what decisions you make right now.

Take advantage of the scholarship and go to school. make your life easier later. If you at least have a bachelors degree, you can get hired just about anywhere, and move up. you can always do something else later.

If you just take a full time job, and don't get a degree, you'll have the opportunity to start at the bottom and stay there. Your life won't be under your control, cause they lay off the low level grunt types first, and good luck walking into a factory and getting that 10 dollar an hour to start job.. they don't exist anymore. And you DON'T want a service industry type job without a degree ( like an insurance company) ' cause you'll always lose out on the promotions to the guy that has the degree, and be stuck doing menial crap.

fair or not, a degree has become a litmus test, and not having one will limit you. I don't care how hard of a worker you are, or how smart you are, or who you know that got you that good job.. the company can always decide they don't need you anymore, and you're done.. having that degree at least makes you more attractive to another employer, and will get you more money to start..

Trust me, repetitive physical labor type jobs suck, and make you old before your time, regardless of how much they pay you. I was lucky and was able to get out of that life, but I do wish I hadn't chosen it in the first damn place.

Tom

8. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

from someone who was exactly where you are, about 3 years ago...

i never went to college... i scored 1410 on my sat's, graduate top 10% of my class, and top of my class at votech all the same year... turned wrenches for 3 and a half years and now im a snap-on dealer... as a tech i was making 50+k a year at 19 and 20 years old, no big deal, not hard work, but wasnt enough, so now i do this, and love it, do something you love

if you like wrenching, get in with the port authority or some local govt shop, benefits rock and pay aint bad....

9. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

school school school. best four years of my life. got me where i wanted job wise.

10. NEK5

but, my gut feeling, is to not go...maybe its just because i know people who didnt, alot of them, and they have excelled well enough.....

but all things considered, i`d much rather just get a full time job, decent pay, in a place where i KNOW i`ll be able to move up, while looking for a government type job, such as anything in the USPS, such as a carrier(good pay, benefits, exercise), or a mechanic for the USPS fleet(again good pay/benefits)

and like some of you have said, college isnt for everyone, although it could help you....

my dad for instance, did many full time jobs, then eventually went to a 2 year community college and got his associates degree in buisness, where he then got a job with sears, in their credit dept i believe, and is now working for the IRS...is there anything wrong with that???

11. NEK5

would getting an associates degree in Buisness/Accounting really help me out? if i were to continue schooling, thats what i`d go for....and i dont think i`m up for another 4 years...especially since i`m not sure where i`ll be living...

12. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Dude... Do what you want to do. I hated school so damn much and was so horrible in every class I dropped out and got a GED, now 4 years later I'm in college doing great and loving it... People make it sound like you have to get a degree by the time you're 22 which if you go to any college classroom is obviously not true. My dad got his Bachelor's degree at 43 and did some pretty cool stuff for about 15 years before moving on... A guy I know got a Bachelor's and went into law school at 31. There's a lady in my English class who's in her 50's and never stepped foot in a college classroom until this semester.

Point is, you should go out and get a job if you want. School will always be an option no matter where you are or what you're doing. I'm working full-time and living with my parents so I can pay for the car loan I got before deciding to go to school and graduate debt-free... If you just take a few years off, the scholarships will still be there.

But I have to agree that the numbers don't lie. You'll most likely be better off getting a degree if you're looking for an easy buck.

13. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Capman is right, you don't even need to go to school right away and get your degree by the time you're 22.

I went to Virginia Tech straight out of high school. I was in their Engineering school and a member of their honors program. I had always done well in school, and it was never much of a challenge for me. Then I joined a Fraternity and started increasing my social life exponentially.

So, I used up two years worth of tuition to attend a big party (pretty much). I got suspended from school and ended up enlisting in the USAF. Now I'm doing well in the AF... here I am with under three years in with a line for Staff Sergeant. I wouldn't have done anything differently, my life experiences have been incredible.

I use my college experiences at least once a day at work, and conversely, I can apply things I learned from the AF to my life. I'm still planning on letting my enlistment run out and going back to VT to finish my EE degree. I'll be 28 by the time I get my Bachelor's, but the four years of off time from college has tought me a lot more than any fresh-out-of-college kid can learn.

I say if you don't think school is something you want to do :right now: then don't do it. But, always maintain that option in your mind. If you get stuck in a rut later that you don't like, going to school or learning something new is an excellent way to set yourself back on track.

14. NEK5

seeing as my only interests are in buisness/accounting, what could an associates or bachelors degree help me do, maybe get a job in a bank? i wouldn`t mind working in a bank...any others?

15. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

You could look into financial planning companies like a merril lynch, or third party companies who broker employee benefit plans for different businesses, or consumer credit companies.. the list is endless.. also, many big companies need internal accounting staff, to insure regulatory and tax compliance.. the good thing is, most of these types of companies recruit at college campuses, so they aren't hard to find.

Y'know, what everyone else is saying about waiting a few years before college isn't wrong.. however, if you get married and have kids in the meantime, it's a lot harder to switch gears and go back to school. if that happens, you need a very understanding spouse, and be willing to sacrifice time with the kids in order to give them a better life in the long run. not everyone gets that kind of support, so consider that before you make any decisions..

Tom

16. NEK5

unless if i really find the right girl, i`m not planning on having any kids, but i will take that into consideration as well....but will an Associates be good enough? and since it will basically be paid for, should i just get the 2 years over with now, instead of paying for it later??

17. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

I'd go for a bachelors right away if possible.. it MAY be that an associates can get you in the door, and if your grades are good, a prospective employer will pay for the rest of your schooling. that's what happened to my nephew.. he walked into merril lynch with an associates degree, and they liked him enough to pay for the rest of his schooling.

and yep, just get it done so you can get on with your life. a large part of being happy depends on your ability to fully capitalize the opportunities that are given to you.

Tom

18. NEK5

thanks for all the advice guys...

its just weird, because it seems all i want to do is get a good paying full time job, then eventually try to get into the USPS, and stay there....

19. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

What is so great about USPS?:confused: Usually government jobs pay less, but have more job security. At least for what I was looking at.

20. NEK5

the job security is what i liked, and as far as paying less, i`m not so sure thats all gvt jobs, what were you looking at?