Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Well, it started fine a minute ago...What's the deal?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by angrysnowplow, Apr 10, 2003.

1. angrysnowplow

angrysnowplow 1/2 ton status

Well, it started fine a minute ago...What\'s the deal?

OK, I have my motor back together after the head gasket/valve job/power steering pump/water pump fiasco, and it had been running. I was adjusting the valve lash with it running, and went to go start the motor. (It had been starting fine) I let go of the key too soon, so it didn't start. Now, it won't run at all. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif It just cranks with an occasional pop or sputter.
    It does have some kind of ignition problem (Replaced the ign. module because it had the same symptoms as when it went out before, but it didn't help. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif)
    When it was running, it would be ok but then cut out like someone had yanked the keys when driving at about 1/3 throttle(not when idling, it never stalled then)
    Basically what I'd like to ask is what else to check? Anything I can check with a multimeter?

BTW Anyone wanna buy a K5?
    [​IMG]
    It um, runs...great. Yeah. Like a top. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Re: Well, it started fine a minute ago...What\'s the deal?

The problem is you adjusting the valves with it running. They're too tight and now you have no compression, so of course your engine is not going to start.

Adjust your valves the way your cam manufacturer told you to, with the engine off, and you'll be fine.

I have no idea why people insist on adjusting valves this way, but this isn't the only instance I've ever seen where someone has had problems adjusting with it running.

3. angrysnowplow

The motor is stock with no aftermarket cam. I did adjust the rockers with the motor off with the Chilton book and only messed with it because I still heard a couple of them making noise.
    So I guess I'll back them off some and see if it starts.
    Thank you for your input

4. angrysnowplow

Anyone have any ideas about the cutting-out problem? It will stall if i gas it suddenly, and stumble if I slowly apply the throttle. It did do this somewhat before I took it apart, so I know it wasn't totally my fault /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif