Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Well it's over til late buck

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by chevyfumes, Oct 31, 2006.

1. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Got skunked on early buck On the way up to were we hunt we saw a nice forked horn standing along the highway...:doah: Anyway I hunted my arse off and was only able to find a doe, we did get to see 5/6 cows while driving though ,that was nice...Late buck is in a couple weeks and if I think I'm about to get skunked again I will go 3 miles down the road from my house to my Brothers GF's house and shoot a little spike she has in her backyard!!!:eek1: :haha: I am absolutely positive all the animals have in fact left the woods and are now hanging out in town where it's safe...:haha:

2. OLD DAWG

OLD DAWG 1/2 ton status

I kinda know what you mean. I went Muley hunting last week saw does everywhere but no bucks. Almost everyone around here was doing the 2nd season Elk thing though so I kept trying. Spent the part of a day hiking back around 5 miles to a nice canyon area I had found, took a nice elevated firing posistion and waited-------nothing. Headed back to the truck and started home when a nice six pointer walks across the trail in front of the truck. I know I'm still on BLM, I check the clock(9minutes left), I throw it in park get out grab my rifle from the case and pop 2 rounds in the mag. put my blaze orange cap on while putting one of the rounds in the chamber walk around the front of the truck and step off the road. The deer is strolling along about 80yds out put the xhairs on his chest and next thing I know I'm driving about 85yds to pick him up. That deer must have had a death wish is all I can say. Oh well just meat in the freezer. Good luck bagging one of those "Urban Commado Deer"

3. tuffdogstudio

tuffdogstudio 1/2 ton status

Got skunked on Elk and Muley this year, damn animals... saw deer while I was elk hunting and then the following week saw elk while deer hunting. Might have to go deer shooting in TX next year just to get some meat in da freezer.

4. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

:haha: :haha: :haha: Aint that how it always works...

5. MaxPF

MaxPF 1/2 ton status

I guess I can join the club. I went out hunting whitetails and got skunked. My buddy and I saw plenty of does, but the bucks must have been hiding in holes with the ground pulled in over 'em. I only say one hunter who had managed to fill his tag, and he admitted it was sheer luck. He was hiking toward a good spot to glass and he glanced into a side canyon as he strolled by, and there under a tree maybe 100yds was a nice 3x3. He was the only one out of literally a dozen hunters to even see a buck, let alone get one :(. We glassed likely spots for 4 days, and I must've hiked 15 miles over some really rugged terrain. Nothing. Oh well, there's always next year :D I'm not putting in for whitetails again though - those little bastards are too damn hard to spot. I'll go for muleys, and try for an elk tag again, of course :wink1:

6. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Goin back up either tomorrow or Friday, for a last chance ditch effort..

7. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

You'll have to come see my fishing videos , Michelle and I videotaped some right next to Bartlett lake when the water was around 50 percent a few years back . Truck didn't scare them , just sat there eating :D

8. MaxPF

MaxPF 1/2 ton status

Yeah, when they're not being hunted is when you see 'em. They know when hunting season is :D

9. W7NB

W7NB 1/2 ton status

This years hunting.

All I can say is thank God for salmon fishing, cause this years hunting sucked! First three weekends were so dry you couldn't get 50 feet off the road without every critter knowing you were there for miles, then the last two weekends were just plain nasty, unless you like frost/snow/freezing rain/just plain rain/freezing rain/snow...:doah:

Course we DID get to go out and find two "lost" (can I say never-had-a-clue should not be in the woods with a gun socal transplants here?) hunters as a bonus.

Every cloud has a silver lining I guess:D