Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Well Mr. Dobson.............

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by gjk5, Mar 29, 2007.

1. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I don't think YOU'RE a christian either!

fuggin supercilious asshat:

Dobson Offers Insight on 2008 Republican Hopefuls

Focus on Family Founder Snubs Thompson, Praises Gingrich

By Dan Gilgoff
    Posted 3/28/07
    Focus on the Family founder James Dobson appeared to throw cold water on a possible presidential bid by former Sen. Fred Thompson while praising former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, who is also weighing a presidential run, in a phone interview Tuesday.
    "Everyone knows he's conservative and has come out strongly for the things that the pro-family movement stands for," Dobson said of Thompson. "[But] I don't think he's a Christian; at least that's my impression," Dobson added, saying that such an impression would make it difficult for Thompson to connect with the Republican Party's conservative Christian base and win the GOP nomination.

In a follow-up phone conversation, Focus on the Family spokesman Gary Schneeberger stood by Dobson's claim. He said that, while Dobson didn't believe Thompson to be a member of a non-Christian faith, Dobson nevertheless "has never known Thompson to be a committed Christian—someone who talks openly about his faith."
    "We use that word—Christian—to refer to people who are evangelical Christians," Schneeberger added. "Dr. Dobson wasn't expressing a personal opinion about his reaction to a Thompson candidacy; he was trying to 'read the tea leaves' about such a possibility."

Dobson's phone call to U.S. News senior editor Dan Gilgoff Tuesday was unsolicited. It marked Gilgoff's first discussion with Dobson in over two years, since the magazine's political writer began work on The Jesus Machine: How James Dobson, Focus on the Family, and Evangelical America are Winning the Culture War, published this month by St. Martin's Press. Dobson had agreed to answer only written questions for the book.

This guy needs to buy a time share in a cave with Abdullah Muhhamed and all the other mullahs before prayer towers start spreading from Colorado Springs to the rest of the country. I can't stand Dobson acting as the self appointed arbiter of what is and isn't conservatism, not all of us conservatives are totin' around a KJV in our pockets.

2. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

And......I could care less what Thompson thinks in a spiritual way. If he runs he gets my vote...........

3. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

No sh*t. BTW, nice to see you posting brother! How ya feelin'?

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, Thompson is a good guy... I'd MUCH rather have him as our nominee than either Rudy or McCain.

IMO leaders of large organized churches aren't true disciples of Christ... so I dunno what this Dobson guy is talking aboot. When Jesus was alive and doing his thing, it wasn't all about getting donations, building huge churches and "religous leaders"... it was Jesus and his message.

As far as conservatism goes... the ideology, IMO, has nothing to do with religon at all..... other than supporting the ideal that each individual should be free to practice whatever religon (or lack thereof) that they so choose. You could be a conservative and be Jewish, np.

j

5. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Thanks man....I just feel tired a lot but I think that has a lot to do with the meds and getting a lazy streak in me over the last week. The groin area is still pretty sore........

6. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I totally agree...........

7. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

From a philosophical level, you are correct.

However, religion and conservatism go hand in hand in a more practical level. The Reagan Democrats are an example. They were southern Democrats, but conservative, religious Democrats that voted for him.
    You'd be hard-pressed to find a group of any size that is conservative and atheist.

And Jews that are conservative are better known as Orthodox Jews. So you are correct there too.

8. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Ditto.

Good to see you back here, man.

9. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I agree with Jek, but at the same time agree with you a little on this.

Most conservatives do have traditional judeo christian values but by the very definition of conservatism should not have a desire to impose those values on others. That's the problem I have with Dobson, for a long time I have been defending christianity as a whole because of the effect Dobson-types have on the average american's perception of christians, I've long preached the whole "freedom OF religion not freedom FROM religion" point of view. I have no problem with "Christmas" as opposed to "Winter Holiday", people who can't handle the traditional christian influence in our society are just as intolerant as Dobson and his followers, and it cuts both ways. They can call it christmas if they want and you can call it festivus for all I care, you just can't MAKE me call it what you think it should be called.

It seems that people like me (the middle) are being pushed from both sides, the extreme right and the extreme left, and I am done defending either of them. I'm just sick of it. I shouldn't know a complete stranger's religious, political or sexual orientation, it's their private business. Don't get me wrong, if they want to carry a bible, put a "buck fush" bumper sticker on their car or hold hands with another man they're welcome to do it, just don't try and convert me to your particular point of view unsolicited.

I should quit ranting. I guess what really pissed me off about the original article was this Dobson jackass condemning Thompson just because he doesn't subscribe to his particular brand of hatemongering christianity, and even worse that he has enough influence to peddle those opinions through the national news media. He's the Rosie O'Donnell of the christian right, someone who doesn't know their ass from a hole in the ground telling the rest of us how to live and think, and being undeservedly given the venue to do so.

10. W7NB

W7NB 1/2 ton status

So if I don't run around with a fish and some trendy Jesus bumper sticker on my car I can't POSSIBLY be a Christian firm and comfortable in my faith?

Interesting that most "Evangelical Christians" either do it for a living or are in line for foodstamps?

Ever notice those who run around with the "My riches are not here on earth but in heaven" don't drive BMW's or Mercedes Benz?

I believe the saying is the MEEK shall inherit the earth - NOT THE WEAK.

The only difference between the religious far right and the democrit far left is what they use to enslave their people with - either promises of handouts here on earth or once they get to heaven - just depending on who is doing the preaching.

As for those of us who can stand on our own three feet and think on our own I don't think we need either. I can be strong in my own personal beliefs, lead what I interept from the bible as a proper life and be happy WITHOUT knotheads like Dobson telling me what I should think and do, and who I should vote for.

These People REALLLLLY get me PO'd:angry1:

And I don't need Billary and her big brother crowd to take care of me either!

Whew... Ok, anger off, soapbox put away.

11. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

I do see your point and it's definitely a valid one as well.

He comes across as somewhat hypocritical and a little condescending in that article; kind of like a divider. I don't know if he's doing it on purpose or what.

To me, religion is like firearms. I don't have a problem with someone trying to convince me a revolver is better to pack than a semi-auto. Just don't start with the condescending attitude crap. Does that make sense?

12. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

We need a republican candidate who is a conservative first and foremost..idiots like dobson forget that jimmy carter was / is a christian too..

Christianity can be and has been used to justify either liberalism or conservatism, which is why I say the guy we pick has to be a conservative first and foremost..once I'm convinced of that, the candiate can quote scripture ( or not ) till the cows come home..

13. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

good analogy CDA! Almost as bad as the 9MM or .45 koolaid drinkers.

14. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Very well said, Carter is a good example, him being a christian didn't help stop him from bending over and spreading 'em for every tinpot dictator in the world that came 'a knockin'.

15. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

BTW, I sold my H&K USP40 because I like the .45 idea now. I'm looking into a Taurus version of the 1911.

Also, I'm eyeballing the Taurus Raging Bull .500 S&W cal. as a backpack/anti-Grizzly bear weapon. What do you think?

16. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I think that the PT1911 is a great gun for the $$$, mine is a great shooter, currently my favorite gun.

As far as the .500....... to me it's like a .50 BMG, if you have the extra cash laying around (or you have tiny penis disease) then get one for shiats and grins. But neither is at all a practical weapon. I'd prefer a .44 or even .357, both should work well with bears, even grizzlies, with decent loads, and the ammo, parts and accessories are readily available and don't cost an arm and a leg. The .50 is like a supercar, every Joe wants one but very few have the skills to unleash it's true potential, and most will just toodle around in it never using it for what it was built for. The guys at my local range are shooting gongs at 400-500 yds with a Barrett and high fiving one another, what the hell are they so proud of, that gun is meant for 1,000++++ yd shots, I can hit 500 with a 7MM mag.(not with any consistency, but I'm just plinking, and it didn't cost me $5K or $2 a round)

17. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

Being from S. CA, I ask the locals here aboot what cal. to have when dealing with grizzlies. Most recommended the .454 casull.
    When I was checking oot the Raging Bull models I came across the .500 S&W cal.
    What I was thinking of doing is using Magsafe ammo while in town (family and personal protection), and then load up with the heavy chit when I head up north into grizzly country.

18. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I always laugh when I see bumper stickers that suggest that Christianity is compatible with liberalism. If Liberals ran that show, it'd be the "10 Life Style Suggestions"... not the "10 Commandments". I know, I know, Jesus was all about loving everyone and everything... but there were still moral rules... and liberals HATE moral rules of any kind. Hell, they can't even bring themselves to judge (and by that I mean judge the mortal body of an individual, not determine the fate of their soul) muderers and rapists for crying out loud.

j

19. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Never heard it put that way but very well said. To me anyone regardless of faith or lack there of has the ability to lead, it's just the way they go about doing it that is what I worry about or not worry........

20. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Well said Tom. Couldn't agree more...................