Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Well my Alt went out only putting out about 4.5 volts

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Cmoe, Jul 22, 2004.

1. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

I'm installing a 104 amp Alt tomarrow once I get my harness adapter in.

2. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

What is the alternator out of? What harness are you using (part number?)? Thanks!

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I think you can use the alt out of a 91 Camaro Z28. You just need to change the pulley on the front if you don't have serpentine belts. I start checking into this soon. There are alot of different options you can use that will work with the right mods.

Harley

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Can you post how many grooves that pulley has?

I've got a 78 amp alt from an '87 Monte that had the semi-serpentine setup, so if the Camaro alt uses the same # of grooves, I could use that as a bolt in if I think I need a bigger alt.

As it is, I don't have any problems with the electric fan on, heater on high, and headlights on. Not sure what it will look like with both fans on and all accessories on, but I don't suspect it will be a problem.

5. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

It's a 104 amp alt out of a '87 Blazer remanufactured by Bosch. With a life time warranty. the harness adapter is AC Delco part # 8077.

6. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Well the 8077 harness didn't work so I need to add some pins to the plug there are only 2 in the plug that has 4 places.... SO i'm still working on it since I need to have it running right befor Monday when I start a new job.

7. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

c moe. do you check your pm's?

8. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Yah I read PM's but if you haven't looked I'm not orange so I can't reply or send PM's!

9. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    SO i'm still working on it since I need to have it running right befor Monday when I start a new job.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you get it right , can make time sometime if you need help Sat after work . And congratulations on the job /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

10. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Thanks Paul! I'll let you konw if I get it running right.

11. pauly383

If its done early , are you up to a little bit of dirt at Saguaro ?

12. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Well with Monday coming quick I have to get the B*tch running. So I went back to a SI style since Napa didn't have another CS in stock. Installed the SI and it is only showing 4.5 volts @ the Battery with it disconnected.

13. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

With what disconnected?

I found the hard way with my alternator that you have to have the lead to the battery connected for the alternator to put out the right voltage. I was taking a volt reading off the battery post on the alternator without the wire connected and it was putting out very low voltage. Once I hooked up the charging line back up the voltage was correct.

The whole story is that I had thought the alternator wasn't working and it turned out that the battery isolator for my dual battery setup had failed.

14. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Ok I'll Try to explain better. First of with the battery connected I'm only showing the battery voltage befor I start the engine and I'm reading 12.7 volts. So now I start the engine and it still reads 12.6 or 12.7 volts. no change.

15. pauly383

There is room for +/- a little . Last time I checked I only had about that much voltage at battery with it running . Basically as the battery drains the more output is needed from the alternator , hence your reading of 12.7 at battery . Drain the battery a bit , start it up and reading will be higher until battery charges up . Go here Alternator overview and read the paragraph about regulators /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif