Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Well, my tranny is smoked!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by thefarside, Nov 25, 2003.

1. thefarside

thefarside 1/2 ton status

Well, after a fairly fresh rebuild my newer trans is now toast! While on the highway my truck began slipping then I started losing gears. I blew through a few street lights after I got off the highway and managed to make it home. Then when I tried to get up my driveway smoke was just pooring out of the bottom of my truck.At first I though my motor went but when I checked the trans oil I had NONE not one drop. Prior to this I have been to see this garage at least 3 or more times a week for the past 2 weeks about slippage. He said it was normal break-in after a rebuild. I personally never had a rebuild tranny be for so I was like OK. When I confronted him about it after it crapping out on the highway he said that the seal on my TH350 went which pumped all of the fluid into the NP205. At least that what the garage I brought it too told me. Then he said that it was a fluke and bad luck that it happened and went on to say that he is not responsible for the seal’s failure, naturally that seal is not part of the rebuilding process and therefore never replaced it. He kindly offered me a "deal" and only charge me half of the original rebuild cost to rebuild it again which was $800. I was so pissed I had to leave before I choked him out with the tranny dip-stick!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

So with all that said, what do you think I should do. Upgrade to a TH400 or switch to a manual SM465? I have not yet read the tech article as of yet. I will tonight at work though.

2. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

I am a little biased, but i say SM465 /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

TH400 is a great tranny and with a little work can be PERFECT. My TH350 started smoking one day too. . . it was FULL of fluid though /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'd take the guy to small claims court. About the truck, if you like shifting, a sm465 is kewl, if you wanta stay auto, I'd get a good used TH350 from your local salvage yard.

4. thefarside

I don't mind shifting I am just not too sure how much of a pain in the ass the conversion from auto to manual would be.

5. Sample

Sample 1/2 ton status

I will bet you that a cooler line broke shooting fluid everywhere. I bet also, the tranny will work fine after you fix the line a fill her up a again.

6. thefarside

I thought that too until I started the truck up. When it just sits there the fluid level is full but when I start the truck and go for a spin and check it then I have none not one drop of fluid. Then when it cools off it is full again. The mechanic at the garage was in awe because he did not believe me. Till he did as I did above and he was like WTF!

7. Sample

Sample 1/2 ton status

When a vehicle is cool the ATF will always read more full than it is. You are low on fluid. I bet the torque converter is starving for fluid. Check the level when running, in park, or nuetral. I bet it is low, add some til it is full.

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If the t-case is sucking up the fluid, A)the t-case vent line will have sprayed the underside of the vehicle down, B)the t-case fluid will be past the fill plug and contaminated with Dexron (unless thats what you have in your t-case) and C)if it's like my 205, fluid will have forced itself out of the front output seal.

Not saying all of that will happen, but if it loses that much fluid, that fast thru a t-case seal, the t-case HAS to vent it, and when moving, it will coat the underside of the vehicle very quickly.

Smoke obviously implies the fluid was hitting something hot, can you deduce what really happened? Converter seal even?

9. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I am a little biased, but i say SM465 /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

TH400 is a great tranny and with a little work can be PERFECT. My TH350 started smoking one day too. . . it was FULL of fluid though /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

i am biased too, i favor 4 speed manual over anything else,

th400 are a great tranny, but a th350 is great too unless you put in something that is going to get more abuse than it can handle,

i just dont like autos much at all in general, they are too picky, one little thing wrong and they want to die on you, , i dont like that

crappy that tranny is dead on ya, and crappy about what shop guy says, hmm.

good luck

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I think you need to find a new tranny guy. $800 for a TH 350? My guy charges $350 and $375 for a TH 400.

11. thefarside

[ QUOTE ]
    If the t-case is sucking up the fluid, A)the t-case vent line will have sprayed the underside of the vehicle down, B)the t-case fluid will be past the fill plug and contaminated with Dexron (unless thats what you have in your t-case) and C)if it's like my 205, fluid will have forced itself out of the front output seal.

Not saying all of that will happen, but if it loses that much fluid, that fast thru a t-case seal, the t-case HAS to vent it, and when moving, it will coat the underside of the vehicle very quickly.

Smoke obviously implies the fluid was hitting something hot, can you deduce what really happened? Converter seal even?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually the T-case never leaked a drop. For that matter the niether did the tranny. Which is why I guess the tech was very surprised.

I was told the smoke was the drive clutches burning up.

When I have the time I will take the tranny out and see what happend. Might be a few weeks though. School and work leave little time for wrenching. I will take some pics or video and post it. Maybe some one can pic out something I missed.

12. Sample

Sample 1/2 ton status

Why not add some fluid first to see if you are lucky?

13. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I think you need to find a new tranny guy. $800 for a TH 350? My guy charges $350 and $375 for a TH 400.

[/ QUOTE ]

$350, does that include install and removal? I had mine built by one of the best tranny shops in the city. Cost me $1500.

14. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    1500 for a th350 is steep.... it should've been a top notch rebuild. a 1500 dollar TH350 should last years and years.. taht is unless your running ungodly ammounts of HP through it.

15. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

So how did he diagnose this problem? And if the trans was under warrenty and you had it back prior to it popping and YOU HAVE PROOF that you went back you will have no probelm going to small claims and at least a free trans out of it.

16. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Wow, you gave a guy that much money and he did not replace the rear seal? Not part of the rebuild huh....

Sounds like he is jerking you around....

17. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

take the biatch to court /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif...and a 465 defenetly!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

that blows dude /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gifthat's what I paid for my TCI 700r-4 with shippping a TCI th350 is like 650 another 120 or so for the converter

19. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I dunno if I buy the clutches burning up being the cause of smoke. Maybe it could happen, but when fluid isn't being pumped, there is no pressure on the clutches to keep them against each other, so they couldn't generate any heat.

With no fluid in the tranny and smoke, I'd suspect moreso that it was leaking out and/or spraying on something hot, like an exhaust manifold or exhaust pipe, but both would likely only smoke up near the front of the tranny, pipes further back I don't think are hot enough to burn fluid.

20. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

That guy is bending you over and not even using vasoline.
    The rear seal should have been replaced at the time of the rebuild. If it went out it is his fault.
    The tranny should not slip at all any time. That is not normal for a break in. If it is slipping it IS BROKE.
    Go to a Reputable Tranny shop and talk to them about tranny rebuilds. They will set you straight. Oh how it is properly done.

I would take that tranny back to him and ram it right up where the sun dont shine.Dont screw around with him. Talk to him in front of his coustomers. Tell him you want the warrentey honored right now! If he wont make it right.Take him to court Sue to get your money back and take the trans to someone who knows what they are doing. Call the BBB and report him also.
    Guys like him should not be in business.