Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Well, some unfortunate news...(garage)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Pookster, May 27, 2005.

1. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Turns out I cant get 100 amps to the garage, because the house is only getting 70amps from the power company. I had to settle for 60amp 220 single phase. (since apparently, I cant get triple phase, cause im not commercial!)

Can I still get a plasma cutter? :(

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

You can always run a 3-phase to single phase converter.

3. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I would hope you mean single to triple!!(never even knew such an animal existed).

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

60 might be enough..

I'd kill for 60 amps of 220v in my shop!--I have only 20 amps available,I used the wires off the hot water heater we never needed because we have a tankless heater in the furnace...I had to make an "extention" cord out of 10 ga. Romex to run out to my shop from the "house" garage...and I can only use my old arc welder at 75 amps or less,or I'm trotting back into the house to re-set the breaker!-- :mad: --kinda puts a damper on many welding projects that involve thicker metal,and I need 100-150 amps to weld properly..I COULD plug into the clothes dryer outlet,I have the correct cord,but thats only a 30 amp curcuit,not much improvement--and it always causes arguments when I want to weld,and Ma wants to do laundry! :blush: :mad: ...

However,my brother lived in a mobile home and had only a 60 amp service to run BOTH the trailer AND his garage--he used the same welder I now have(I inherited it when he upgraded to a MIG)..and he had no troubles at all using it at any setting he desired--usually 125-150 amps was what he welded his channel iron for the beavertail ramp truck he built there,and unless his compressor happenned to kick on while running a bead,the breaker would never trip---we just had to remember to shut the compressor off while welding..no problems otherwise..I think 60 amps SHOULD run a plasma cutter OK,as long as its not a monster one made for cutting battleship armor or something.. :crazy: --of course,MORE is always better if possible.. :laugh: but maybe not absolutely nessasary..

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

yes you can. thay make 110 plasma units but thay kind of suck in my opion.

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I'd kill for garage power PERIOD . Mine used to be a carport so all I got is lightbulb over the truck :(

7. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Check the actual rating of the plasma cutter. Just because it has a 50A welding plug doesn't mean that's what it draws.

I changed the plug on my welder to match my compressor, and runs on my 20A/240V compressor circuit. I can use either one - just not at the same time.

I only have a 40A sub to my garage, and that runs lights, regular 120V tools, compressor, and welder.

8. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Intriguing. im still learning about welders and what not- I've always been intriguged by welding, but never had the space or capacity to learn. The cost of classes is like 900 for MIG/TIG, not including the 500 for the intro course.

Someone told me that I should just pickup a unit and start welding, and thats the best way to learn.

I wanted to avoid the "upgrade" that most people make (start with stick, move to mig, etc). From what I can find, TIG really does make the neater and better welding, but MIG is faster. Most of my projects would be things like tubing, and sheet metal (and sometimes sheet aluminum). Any advice?

That was the whole reason for the plasma cutter as well- Its so much easier and safer to cut with a plasma cutter, than it is to cut with say a band saw, hack saw, tin snippers, etc....

9. diesel4me

Spend cash on welders,not lessons!

I'd buy a welder and just start using it!--I did go to vocational school for industrial maintenence,they did teach us the basics of welding,and let us play with the welders--but I never REALLY learned HOW to weld until I got an arc welder of my own at home to fool with.

.(I've yet to own a MIG welder,though I've used my brothers and a friends a few times..not the same as arc welding! :blush: --they are all a bit different in the way they act..)...I'd say your money would be better spent on the welder itself,and a good helmet--the classes are nice,but 900 bucks will buy you a nice welding setup and THE only way to get good at welding is to DO it!--you can read all the books you want,but if you never practice,you'll never be able to do it...I've known how to weld since I was a teen,but I dont get enough practice to get really good at it...I think you learn more by doing than reading,or watching others...at least I do... :crazy:

I think a 220v plasma cutter will work OK on 60 amp service--especially if you dont cut over 1/4" plate--you wont need to crank it up all the way to do lighter metals,and it will not draw the maximum amp rating on the unit unless you have it cranked up high to cut super thick stuff...I know a few guys with them,one has a 110v one thats pretty impressive--cuts a frame like nothing,and he has only an ordinary 30 amp 110v curcuit in his garage.. :cool1:

10. jhellwig

jhellwig 1/2 ton status

Yes.

60 amps is a lot of powere even for 120 volt. If you manage to use 40 amps at a time then you'd have to be useing a welder that was cranked up very high. And unless you plan on useing multiple powere tool, plasma cutter and welder at once, you are never going to come close to useing 60 amps.

And to whoever asked about converting 3 phase to sing phase or vica versa. If you have 3 phase service you also have single phase. If you are wanting to get 3 phase from single phase, you are going to have to shell out some money for a converter. And that isn't something you want to start messing with unless you know your way around electricity.

Man I love being an electrician. :D

11. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I hate you people. Always making me spend money. :xmas: ;)

So mig, tig, stick, arc? all confusing!

12. jhellwig

jhellwig 1/2 ton status

Well tig mig and stick are all arc welders.

Mig is good for tubeing and other metals of that nature. Good choice unless you plan on welding very thick metal that needs a very high strength weld.

Tig is good for small welds or exotic metals.

Stick is good if you are never going to weld very mich or don't want to spend lots of money on a welder. And you can actualy get tig attatchments for them.

But I am sure that there is someone that has a better opinion and more expirience with this.

13. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

60 amps is plenty for a plasma cutter. I have only a 30 amp 220 volt line ran right now and I use my plasma cutter to cut 3/8" thick steel and it works great. Remember - 60 amps at 220 volts would be the equivilent of 120 amps at 110 volts. There is no need for 3 phase in a home garage.

220 volt tools use only half the current that 110 volt tools use to do the same amount of work. For your welder(s), air compressor, plasma cutter, etc use 220 volts whenever possible.

14. TravisO

TravisO 1/2 ton status

This is scary. Please correct this obvious problem soon or become the recipient of a Darwin Award.

15. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

The single phase that we all have in our houses usually starts out at 3-phase anyway and each run is off just one of those three phases. You can easily get single-phase power off a 3-phase circuit. The voltage just has to be what you need or you will need a transformer.

To get 3-phase from a single-phase source there are converters (I forget the name) which are basically a rotating generator powered off single-phase. They spin at the right speed to generate the power at 60Hz. Obviously, you only use one of these when you have to have 3-phase, like for certain tools, and there simply is no 3-phase circuit available.

16. jhellwig

jhellwig 1/2 ton status

I like my shorter version. :D

17. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

We did this to be able to run out 3-phase knee mill. We only have single phase and it runs off of 3-phase, so we ran a convertor. The box is only about the size of a kleenix box and cost about $200. I even wired it up myself.

18. jhellwig

jhellwig 1/2 ton status

Hrm. I haven't ever seen anything like that. The only converters I have seen were of some size.

19. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

If I can remember to take my digi to the shop tomorrow, I'll take a pic of it and show you. I actually mounted it to the side of the mill.

20. diesel4me

Scary???? nahhh...

What is scary about using a roll of romex cable as an extention cord?..I've had this one in use for 10+ years with no problems...(well,except for the wounded section my snowplow scraped bare when it was buried under 3 ft of snow!--glad it wasn't plugged in! :blush: --but I taped it up REAL good and it still works fine.. :crazy: )...

Granted,If I were better off financially,I'd have my garage properly wired and I wouldn't have to resort to such booty fab ghetto fixes such as theese!..but times are hard and money is short!--even when I had a healthy paycheck coming in every week,I had little cash to blow on something like a welder I only use once a month if that...I had no intention of running my garage on extention cords for so long,believe me!.. :screwy: --since its on my mothers property,and she is in poor health and my future at this adress is uncertain,I'm holding off from spending any more money on the garage,might be losing it soon,so I have to deal with temporary fixes for now.. :frown1: