Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Well, THAT Was Horrendously Tedious

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Resurrection_Joe, Apr 19, 2006.

1. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Well, system drive started getting twitchy on me this morning dumping my profile and local setting, so I dumped everything on the main drag and reinstalled

I recommend at LEAST two partitions for anyone who has any sense of computing. You can dump your programs and OS without losing your data, etc.

Anyway

Whatever

It took 4 hours.

I forgot to write down my XP activation code, whose sticker I had destoryed as it was stuck on a box I traded out to a customer a while ago. It was on one of my data partitions (six of them, OCD...) but by the time I realized that's where it was and that was the ONLY place it was, I had fragged the OS. So I had to reinstall and old hack copy of W2K just to install WXP

Yeah, so anyway. Know what's nice? If you buy a certain program off the net, from thier official site, and keep the original file on backup after you download it, you can install it after a slash and burn of the drive for a whole new year of subscription status! Awwwwwww. I'nnat great!?

So, no more wonky twitchy comp for RJ.

I'd say 50 or so programs installed, 44 windows updates

I bought some fig newtons today. Gonna enter me the fig newtons contest.

"What do you say Oki?"
    "I says **** yeah, zombie man!"

2. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

i need to do mine soon, want to walk me through it?

3. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Fig Newtons are the shiznit......

4. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

5. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

Hey RJ, I know sweet **** all ( thats canadian, by the way ) 'bout computers but I'm learning. Whats a partition for one thing and I think I need to re-install my os, whats a good ( affordable ) device for backing up my stuff ? Any help or links on the subject would be appreciated.
    Cary

6. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

You don't like fig newtons?

7. R77K10

R77K10 Banned

i wanna see a walk through on creating or whatever extra partition and how it should be used and how large(percentage)

etc.

thanks

fig newtons lol

8. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

:D Fig newtons rock, its those pesky data partitions and xp activation gigahertz data synchronisms that really get on my nerves. :D

9. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

Virtual hard drive

Let's say you have 100GB HD. Divide that by four and you would have 4 partitions of 25 GB each, separating your games, photos, programs, music, videos, etc...... each into it's own hard drive(virtually). More organized, and easier to fix if something F's up.

10. Resurrection_Joe

Ok

Basically, unless you want to buy or boost a program like "Partition Magic" or somesuch, you need to start with a clean hard drive or one you don't care about losing stuff on. If you have data you need, make sure to back it up on CD or Disk, or whatnot

Anyway

The way I go about making partitions is the almighty FDISK or WinXP's DISKPART command

FDISK is an old black and white MSDOS based hackey hackey program.

To start it, you have to put in a windows operating system CD. I've used 98, 2000, and XP.

On the 98 disk you just have to boot from the CD and start the computer with CD support and you'll get a DOS prompt

Type the following to start

>C:/fdisk

To get DISKPART on XP you have to boot from the CD and get to the recovery console, wherin you'll get a command prompt.

Type the following to start

>C:/diskpart

ANYWAY

Here's some FDISK info

Here's some DISKPART info

For backup, I personally would have two hardrives.

Right now I have one inside and an external, but I want to go with two internals and keep the external for even more redundancy!

I think the following setup works well.

On your FIRST hard drive, partition it into two or more drives. My main drive is 160GB and paritioned into seven "simulated" drives. The main (C:) drives is exactly 50% (80GB) and the other 50% (80GB) is spread out between six other "simulated" drives.

So main drive C: is 80Gb and all my storage and data backup is 80GB

The SECOND hard drive needs to match or exceed the size of the storage paritions in the setup.

Just format the second hard drive into one big disk. Put a folder for each partition with each partitions respective name. When you want to backup your data just copy everything from each data partition into the matching folder on the second drive.

Here's a picture to show you what's going on

[​IMG]

MAIN - is my 80GB OS and Programs disk

EXTERNAL - is my 80GB external backup drive

The rest of the drives are data drives adding up to the other 80GB on the 160GB drive

Anyway, the whole point is, if your main drive goes out, all you lose is your programs and OS, which SHOULD be on CD. All your data is backed up on the second drive. If your second drive goes down, well, just make sure to replace it quickly. If your OS goes buggy, or crashed up (MACH 5), you can just format and reinstall the OS and your programs on C: drive and all your data is right where it was originally.

If and when you want to actually parition something, just hit me up and I'll walk you through it.

It's basically (using FDISK)

1. Make C: PRIMARY parition (make it whatever size you want)
    2. Make EXTENDED partition (make it as large as the remaining data allows, so, two paritions, PRIMARY and EXTENDED)
    3. Divide EXTENDED partition (make smaller partitions (((or one large, second, partition))) out of the EXTENDED partition)
    4. Format C: and install OS
    5. Format other drives through the OS

11. Resurrection_Joe

Yeah Pip, I got ya

12. Resurrection_Joe

Well, it passed 24 hour stabilty, it's running awesome!

13. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

William and RJ, thanks for the response, It makes sense to me now, I'll get with you again when I'm ready to do it. Thanks again.
    Cary