Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Well The D60 is in.....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Highlander, Mar 16, 2003.

1. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

First I want to thank Storm Trooper for the offer of his help, But 75 miles one way makes for a long day.

Anyway as with most projects nothing goes as planed /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I was going to use the old shock mounts from the dana 60 but my shock bolts are to big for them so I had to come up with something and that was some 1/2 plate that has a radius cut in it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif add those with some 9/16 grade 8 bolts and everthing looks like it will work there.
    I was glad hat when I made my spring pads that I had put a 1in offset But I should off made new spring plates with a 1in offset as well cause as you see in the pic's the U-bolts lean forward somewhat that I don't like.
    The other thing I don't like is how my Disc Brakes are working when I went to bleed them I never realy got any real psi out of them, The fluid just seems to flow but there is no big squrt. So if anyone as an Idea for that let me know.
    The wheels I got for the time being are 15x8 with a 2.5bs and they look just about right, I won't need a spacer for the rear /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    [​IMG]
    Heres one pic the others are Here............ I hope
    Any comments are welcome.

Eric

2. Highlander

Well I have been searching for info about my rear brake problem but I still haven't found it yet.
    I'm now worryed that I didn't get the axel centered just right I mite be off 1/2 I'm going to put a tape to it only from a different place.
    After driveing it I'm not sure I'm going to like the welded rear.

Eric

3. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Looks nice but I don't like the look of those u bolts! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Highlander

Yea I'm not happy about that either, That was something I haven't read about I seen the offset pads but I haven't seen anything about making the plates offset, But then I could of missed it /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I think next week I'll work on making some up with offsets.

Eric

5. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

Here is how I took care of the one inch offset--->

PIC

6. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Looks nice but I don't like the look of those u bolts

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont understand whats wrong?

7. SCOTTS_4X

SCOTTS_4X 1/2 ton status

I'm worried abotu the tubing you used to make the spring perches. it looks really thin in the pictures, like less than .100. I'm sure it's not that thin but exactly what wall thickness did you use?

-Scott

8. Highlander

First. I had given some thought to what you did with your Plates Stomper and almost did that but I'm thinking of just getting some 1in or 3/4 plate and use that. I'll start that this week while the boss is out of the shop. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Next. The Disc Brake stuff is all TSM I bought the rearend with the TSM brackets on it and I went back to TSM for the Braided brake line. I got the Calipers and Pads from Car Quest. I'm getting the Braking worked out I bled the brakes again and I did get some air out of it I think I'll run it like it is so the new pad can seat then I'll go from there, But it is getting better.

TXsizeK5. The deal with the U-bolts is they do lean forward somewhat I just torque them down to 110ft lbs and they have come up somewhat and don't look as bad as they do in the pic. But I would like to have them a little straighter.

For the Spring Pads I used 3/16 if I remember right I know that it's thicker than 1/8 and it's not 1/4 I did try to find some 1/4 but we didn't have any that would work.
    I will keep and Eye on them as well everything else I did just to make sure.

Eric

9. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    I guess I should have came down to help. Guess you could have used a hand. Looks like you got it in and only have a few things to deal with. Hope it all works out. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Highlander

Dave
    it all worked out for the good But I couldn't see you driving all the way down here, But then I've done the same for other people /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    I spent some more time bleeding the brakes yesterday and I now have them working a little better, And the more that I look at the rearend and the way it sits in there, I think it's just find. but with the welded rear when I turn the rear is trying to come out the other side ( if that makes sence) What I could do to help it is put new bushings in and maybe a panhard bar.
    I know that I need to go to a 4in lift soon now that I moved the shocks up I have less up ward travel. I think that will work on the wife /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Eric