Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Well the TPI roared to life tonight

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by LKJR, Jan 9, 2006.

1. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

it's been a long and enduring process. The Blazer has been in pieces for the last year trying to get kinks worked out and parts together. But tonight put some gas in it, turn the key and it fires every time. Unlike the unreliable carb setup that would sit and never fire when I wanted it to.

Just wanted to brag. Now to finish hooking up hoses, install the elec fans, and get a bracket for the accelerator cable.

2. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Well done man!

Are you running a built engine at all, or is it stock?

I got mine to run summer last year -- Kinda... Wound up my MAF was no good, so I've been hunting for Speed Density parts since then... Mine has a mild cam, and flat tops, so I'm hoping I don't have too many issues trying to get her running with the speed density stuff... I know I'll have a rich idle cause of valve overlap, but I have a programmer, so hopefully I can work that issue out...

3. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

haven't tuned it yet, still trying to work out cable issues with the tranny and throttle. but I'm running the PROMINATOR so it won't be an issue. holds 10 bin files switchable on the fly all programed with my laptop. so in theory I can make changes and monitor performance going down the road.

and yea pretty much same setup. mild cam, flat-tops, headers.... had edelbrock intake and carter carb on it with K&N but obviously those are gone.

4. K5dreamer

K5dreamer 1/2 ton status

well done, ive got an 89 IROC with a TPI 350, and ive always said it was the best truck engine ever made ;) seems like a natural upgrade for a blazer.

5. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

That is one upgrade that I want to do someday to both of my k5's... Congrades!

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

But carbs are better! :rolleyes:

Congrats. Whats the issue with the accelerator? My '87/88 parts worked with a stock F-body accelerator cable/bracket for those years, just had to re-work the cutout in the firewall a bit for the slightly different clip.

Speed density I know the throttle cable end changed for one thing, but beyond that, no clue how a SD cable will work with the truck firewall.

7. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

i'ts an 86/87 setup, was orginally a MAF setup. I don't know if the bracket is wrong or the cable or what. I"m trying to chase numbers and get the right parts together. the cable is just 1 1/2" too short.

8. dyeager535

Here is a pic of how mine is setup. Stock cable, but unfortunately I don't have my info handy as to exact year. I know it's not from a MAP application. What happens when you piece stuff together. :) There are two different cable ends based on year, not sure if the firewall clip changed.

[​IMG]

9. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Congrats dude!!! TPI ROCKS! :bow: :laugh: :thumb:

10. Russell

Here is a picture of mine :)

The brake booster is now a hydroboost unit, and the cruise control is gone as well

:D

001.jpg

11. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

hey can one of ya'll look at your accelerator cable. mine has the numbers 14080282 4 357 on it right behind the plenum bracket, the clip attaches to the throttle body like it should and I have the same bracket like in that dyeager posted. but when it's all connected it holds the butterflies at like 3/4 throttle

I'm confused. any ideas? was going to pm some of you but the memberships take a few days with paypal if the money isn't in your paypal account

12. tunedportk5

tunedportk5 1/2 ton status

I'll take a look at it and my books and see if can get the part # for you.

13. Russell

Can't you rotate the end of the cable to adjust how long it is?

14. dyeager535

If I was home I'd do it for you. Sorry I'm not.

Only thing I can think of is to call a local parts place and ask for cables for the '85-89 cars, and compare to what you have. If someone here doesn't get you the number from GM. I'd go with GM for the accelerator cable hands down.

Two things come to mind though...are you putting it in the right hole (I think two of them on my bracket will fit the cable) and how much can you bend the part of the accelerator where the cable clips on?

Mine wouldn't give me WOT with the pedal being "stock", so I bent the pedal arm that the throttle clips to, problem solved. 3/4 throttle seems like a LOT, so be careful if you think bending it may work. It felt to me that the metal was pretty flimsy.