Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Well, the truck did get tore up a bit...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Thumper, Aug 12, 2004.

1. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Just took the truck out first time after the weekend. Kinda weird feeling in the steering. Checked things out and find the steering box frame section in pretty bad shape! I knew it was coming, and it was cracked around a couple holes, but now she has progressed beyond safety! So, the plan is to repair it with a chuck of frame off a wreck welded on top of the existing piece. Same as the bought repair, just cheaper! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mike

2. Bruiser

Bruiser 1/2 ton status

They say you should brace it also or will just crack again. Friend made me a 1/4 plate that hits 3 of the 4 holes and extends 12" along frame. I am going to weld on a way to bolt a cross piece to mount to frame. Then weld all the cracks up and attack the frame patch also.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

did you say that your frame was cracked in multiple spots around the steering box and not only you kept driving it but wheeled it too???????? /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

4. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Hmm... nothing crazy about it. Its called risk management. You are allowed to look at a problem, assess the risk, and determine if its safe to use or not. The cracks were like 1/2" long, extending from the bolt hole in a straight line along the bottom of the frame where it bends into a 'C'. There were two holes with one 1/2" crack each. It was a pretty tough trip, lots of log crawling, and some deep mud holes so I am not suprised to see it get worse. The important thing is that I realize it is in worse shape, and its now parked. Besides that, it was flat towed to the trail and back... no issues with safety.
    Mike