Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

well this is a bummer.......

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 87sm465np208, May 11, 2003.

1. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

i just got my emmissions notice on my truck /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif, my 87 4x4 with the 350 tbi, and its due in june, and im a young kid who is learning still, but knows alot. i plan on changeing the oil and putting 20w50 in it, should i ditch the air filter? or just go and buy a new one for the test, and i will air up the tires, and bring my bit stick to beat the Sh*t out of the guy if he damages my truck. any other tips will be much appreciated, btw im from illinois bout 75 miles from chicago.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Youw should definitely have an air filter in there. I dont know about where you live, but where I am (NC), you have to have an air filter. You also need the intake to the air filter that goes to the grill to be hooked up.
    Harrison

3. MousePowrd

MousePowrd 1/2 ton status

Put about four bottles of drygas in the tank just before the test, it will help lower your emissions. Change plugs, cap and rotor right before the test also. Why would you take the air filter off????

Just make the truck clean and decent. If it looks like a POS they will look a lot more closely

4. 87sm465np208

LOL, yea what they do here for trucks is run em up on the dyno, they dont do any visual inspections, BUT i want to have all my stuff hooked up so i have a better chance at passing this test, i really hope i pass, because if i dont im gunna drive my truck off a cliff so me and my truck can die together and not be seperated. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

5. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

which direction from chicago?

6. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

When did they start doing emmisions in Sh!tcago? Do they rev em up all the way like they do in other states? I would be pissed too if they did that and blw my engine to pieces!!

7. MousePowrd

MousePowrd 1/2 ton status

While its on the dyno see if they will give you some hp/tq numbers /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

8. georgiared84

georgiared84 1/2 ton status

If your emissions is anything like Georgia, don't put money into ANYTHING until after you get your first test. If you fail your first test here you get to retest for free within 30 days. Every dollar you spend towards emissions related repairs gets counted towards your $600 exemption. (that means if you plop $30 bucks into a new air filter and plugs and still don't pass you still have to spend 600 before you're exempt. If you wait until after your first test, it counts towards your costs) I usually just check timing, put in a few bottles of emissions stuff in the gas, and clean the spark plugs. Sometimes she goes through on the first try, sometimes she doesn't. My engine's getting old in my red 84, so if I don't pass this year and drop in a new engine then there is my 600 +++++ towards being exempt and I don't have to retest until next year. (As long as none of the areas I passed in don't get worse)

9. 87sm465np208

weird, yea i think i will clean my spark plugs as well as change the oil, get a new air filter, and so on. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. BJarvis354

BJarvis354 Registered Member

Had the same problem on my '89....Changed the Plugs, Wires, Filter, etc. and put some of that Emission additive stuff in and it finally passed after failing like three times. But if you are failing your emission something is probably WRONG with your motor. Mine eventually blew up and I just got a NEW GM Motor put in. Now it will pass the inspection this year I am sure.

Good Luck!

P.S. Do a search for emissions I am sure my old posts are around regarding my debacle!

11. white-rhyno

white-rhyno 1/2 ton status

Man, I feel sorry for you guys that have to do emission testing. That sucks. I guess there is one benefit to living out in the sticks! I just dont like the idea of someone else reving my engine. Also, if your running a cat, which im sure you are. Make sure its good. Most exhuast shops will check your cat for free.

12. 88jimmyoungowner

88jimmyoungowner 1/2 ton status

are georgia emmissions test only in metro atlanta or someting, casuemi dont have to pass them i dont think.

13. GM Man

GM Man 1/2 ton status

Run the lowest octane fuel you can find. It burns easier for the test. Also try to get the cat really hot, this will burn everything that leaves the motor. Good luck.

14. RatMan

RatMan 1/2 ton status

im pretty sure its a metro atlanta only thing. part of that clean air campaign thing they're tryin to promote /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

15. 83PJW

83PJW 1/2 ton status

YES STRONGBAD!!!!!

16. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    YES STRONGBAD!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes Strongbad is swwweeeeeetttttttt!!!!!!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. georgiared84

Yeah, If I still lived in Carroll County I wouldn't have to do it. Think they'd believe me if I sai I went diesel?

18. georgiared84

Don't be so sure about the motor. You can have a brand new long block and still fail if your carb, timing, vacuum, etc... isn't set up right. On the other hand, you can have a 200k mile motor that fails purely because you have a bad distributer, and passes with a good one. I've had both situations.

19. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

emissions *snort* they can test my ride once I stop seeing the 5000 or so rigs drive past my house on the highway every day belching black smoke in the air, or when the FEDERALLY RUN VA hospital stops using a coal fired boiler. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

20. noJeepshere

noJeepshere I Drive Trains! Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Man, I feel sorry for you guys that have to do emission testing.

[/ QUOTE ]
    yeah i know its great living in dust bowl ephrata. my piecer couldnt stand a chance in seattle. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif theyd take one look at the blue smoke and hand me the slip.