Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

well, this pissed me off

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by delta9blazer, Jun 15, 2000.

1. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

it's been wicked hot out here in cali lately, and my kids have been getting fried in the back of the truck with the top off. damn near heat stroke.
    so, i'm using the forklift at work to re-install the topper. ****in' thing slips and drops down the side of my truck! now i've got a nice gouge and a set of white smears on the passenger side of my straight, black blazer.
    i really felt like punching something. i didn't, though. i must be getting old.
    godDAMN it pissed me off.

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Dang dude that bites!
    It would have been better to get that gouge on the trail and not from yr top........
    Nice and warm ain't it..spose to be 108 today!
    Late

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin
    http://burt4x4.coloradok5.com

3. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

LMAO!!!

I can only do that because the sides of mine are SHOT!!! I get this ego thing going that I'm gonna take the top off myself, next thing I know, I'm trying to hoist the top of the bed rail when it slid off. I've got a scratch that runs the length of my truck on both sides at the body line.

FEEL YOUR PAIN!!!!

Kyle
    89K5

4. 1TUFF89

1TUFF89 1/2 ton status

I know how you feel. The first time my dad and I took my top off he wasn't able to hold is side and it dropped taking a big chunk of the body out on the drivers side rail. It's all fixed now. the driver's side is perfect. The whole truck looked pretty sweet until I decided to back into the fence post and ran a couple scratches down the passenger side as well as taking out my rear lens. After I calmed down I realized that it is fixable. Anything you break can be fixed - it just takes time and money!!

Chevy's RULE!

5. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Hey now you can go wheeling with me! [​IMG] I go down trails that look like they were made with a Lawn Mower! The thing is, I just painted it about 3 months ago! I like having the paint peeled off my rig, (not really but it happens). Sorry about your first scar! Too bad there wasnt an off-road story to go with it. When installing and removing my top, I have 3 people. I have my girlfriend stand (crouched) inside the Blazer, and me and another person lift the rear of the top. She gets the top on her back and walks real slow toward the rear of the truck. It goes on the same way. Granted my girlfriend is not a hefty gal either. She is 5'-8" and 120 pounds. [​IMG] It does not take much to do it when you have the people help.

[​IMG]
    Mudzer 1978/91 K5

6. Dieselmh

Dieselmh 1/2 ton status

That sucks man. I think I probably would have hit something.

Diesel

If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is.[​IMG]

7. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

I got some good scratches from wheeling awhile back, but those are dust compared to this topper bite. I think i did pretty good about holding my temper, no sense in bashing another fender in.
    i'll try some tricks this weekend to minimize the visual impact. it's right on the body line, too. that'll be fun to fix. anybody in northern cali do side job body-work?
    if i can make it so i don't notice it everytime i walk by, i'll just leave it.

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

8. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

Sorry to hear that delta, I havent tried to take the top off (yet) I hope mine doesn't bite.

check out my new site, thanks Steve!
    http://chaka73.coloradok5.com

9. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

I saw some body take there top off with a pully system
    it look cool I thank I might try it or get about 4 or 5 prople I hope mine does not bite too but with my luck I am f*#ked

[​IMG]Go prepared
    </font color=red>90 k5 soon to be big, bad, and mean

10. 87Blzr

87Blzr 1/2 ton status

That sucks. I had the the corner of my cap come down right on the body crease of the middle of the tailgate before I came up with a better system. Now I can do it by myself pretty easily. I found two trees in my backyard that are a little wider apart than my truck. I pounded a stake into each of them so I could mount a pipe across the two trees at the height of the top of my tailgate. I back my truck up to the pipe and its a matter of sliding the top back onto the pipe and letting the back down to the ground while the front of the top stays resting along the pipe. I usually tie the top through one of the bolt holes to the pipe so it won't blow over in strong wind. To help with the sliding back the top by myself I did this to keep it from falling of the side of my truck. I got a 2x4 that is longer than the width of the truck and put two stakes in it so they stuck out the other side. Put them in the same distance of the width of the bolt holes for the cap from side to side. When your in the truck with the top unbolted you just lift the front of the top and put the 2x4 across the bed with the stakes through the bolt holes for the cap. Now you have support so the cap can't fall of the side. You can attach the fabric of your choice to the 2x4 where it is against the bed rail so it doesn't scratch the paint. Now when you pull it back to put it on the pipe yourself you have no fear that the cap will fall off the side. Its really easier than it sounds and while you do have to lift some its not that bad at all and I'm only about 165lbs. The worst lifting is when you go to put it back on, that first lift to get the back up off the ground. But its not that bad because its against the pipe and you only have to lift it not worrying about centering it or anything because you also attatch the 2x4 to the cap first so it won't fall of your truck. Also, if you try this make sure you put the stakes into the trees at a good angle. I got my dent in the tailgate and quarter because when I lifted the top to put it back on the pipe the first time it rolled off the stakes and the pipe hit the quarter while the corner of the top hit the tailgate in a bad spot. Sorry for making it so long. Just throwing out the way I do it by myself

87 K5 Siverado, 68 SS 396 Camaro

11. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I know what you mean too, Im sorry. I had my wife help me take mine off once..............once.

12. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

Try the top off my 72 it about 2 1/2 feet longer and 250 lbs heavyer! I use pulleys and a winch on the wall. I back under un bolt all 26 bolts place 2 web strapes under it and crank it up to the rafters were it stays till late fall!

13. Moose

Moose 1/2 ton status

I feel your pain. I did the same thing.I have taken the top off 2 before with no problem. I get under it and lift with my legs. Then walk down a 2x10. Well this time i stepped on a piece of pipe that was behind my seat and off it went big dent and scratch. I'll get some pics of the damage. HELL just made it easier to dent up on the trail.

14. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Invest in a kayline softy dude,thats what i did and now I can have the top up and just roll up the sides and the back and go safari mode so my son doesn't get to much sun...

15. Blazerbob

Blazerbob 1/2 ton status

I almost dropped mine trying to take it off but thank goodness the neighbor seen me struggling and came over to help. Good control of your temper Delta. Last time my K5 quit on the highway and needed towed home I got pissed and kicked the doors in.
    p.s. Anyone have a couple doors they want to give me.lol

<font color=blue>Blazerbob</font color=blue>[​IMG]

16. rem7600

rem7600 1/2 ton status

Had to GRIN at Mouse 85's Post...

[​IMG]
    <font color=purple>REM7600 - '89 Jimmy</font color=purple>