Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Well which bearings to use in engine rebuild?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by reddog64, Nov 14, 2002.

1. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

Clevite ?
    Federal Mogule ?
    Other ?

2. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

I've got some old used bearings I'll send ya for free if you pay shipping. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif J/K. I think its really a matter of personal preference, cause I haven't heard any thing bad about Federal Mogul or Clevite 77. You can't go wrong with either of these. Just my $.02.

Will

3. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

I saw some that had all kinds of different stuff.. like copper cores and steal backs.. soem plain ones.. etc.. any difference? electrostatic coatings.. etc...

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Clevite.
    I only say that because I have seen their name mentioned in more engine books then any other.

5. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure about all the exact construction techniques between the different manufacturers, but all engine bearings consist of a steel backing with some sort of overlay material (usually a copper/lead alloy) in different layers. There's not much difference in the basic construction, just different alloys, etc. I have seen more engines built with Clevite 77 than Fed. Mogul, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're better. Maybe somebody else can shed some more light on the advantages/disadvantages of different types.

Will

6. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

Well I'm taking the motor in tomorrow afternoon to be tanked bored and bottom end built.. and just want to know some things... The guy I'm taking to I know and trust so I'm sure he wont steer me wrong...