Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wellsville run 11/12 trip report

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by JK5, Nov 14, 2005.

1. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I met up with some guys from Ohio 4x4 Trail riders at Oaktree at 9:30 saturday morning. The group consisted of a 91 k5 (6.2 Blazer), 78' Ford longbed (78Buford), a ranger, 3 Jeeps, and me (77 k5).

We started with a warm-up trail, on our way down to the rock garden area.
    Once we got down to the bottom, we hit the Ugly Trail. I led, finding the Ugly Trail was much rougher that it was 6 months earlier, with many large rocks that were exposed due to the fall rain we had. Right off the bat, we lost the ranger due to front tie-bar damage. Cliff's white Jeep, had lock-out hub enguagement issues. Once we fixed that we went back down the "Killer" bypass trail to explore more of the rock garden.

Next it was the rocks on the bottom of the bypass trail. I hit them with some snotty 44" TSL's about 3 times before I could get over them. After the guys saw me spinning/beating my rig to get over those rocks, they decided that they wanted to save there rigs for the rest of the trip.

After some discussion Brad and Roy talked me into showing them Clay Hollow.
    We started up the trail, only to find a large tree down in our way. We studied it for a minute, before to see if we could make the trail passable. It looked like 1 cut would do the trick, so I pulled out the chainsaw. I cut about 1/3 though the tree and the chainsaw died, I was out of fuel. No one had a fuel mix, so a handsaw was our next option. Taking turns with the handsaw, finally dropped the tree to a height that we could climb with our rigs. I went first, next Roy, hoping we could mash down the tree a bit. Then Brad (6.2 Blazer) here's a pic of him.

[​IMG]

The tree made the easy part of the trail more challanging, then we headed up to the more difficult section where a huge rock sits. It took about 3 shots before I got my rig over it, next was Roy, he saw the issues I had, so hit he hit that section with plenty of speed, much like a NASCAR driver at Daytona hits a banked curve. Brad and I ran for our lives, when we turned, we found Roy had put Buford on his side after getting around the obsticle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We winched Buford, along with a come-a-long, we got him back on his feet after 45 minutes. Next Brad gave the k5 a shot, after several tries, having a huge rock as a armrest, he made it by with some winching.

[​IMG]

The smaller Jeeps got though that obsticle pretty easy and we went on the the more difficult part of the trail. I banged the crap outta my rig and with some help from my winch, I made-it through. Roy was too wide so he took the bypass trail along with Brad. Jamie was unconcerned about body damage, so he went next. His $300 top was ripped off, then he worked on caving-in the sided like I did. With some winching, his YJ, a bit mangled, made-it out alive.

After some discussion, we decided at sunset, it was time to head back. I almost got the group lost, but managed to find my way back to Oaktree.
    Once back at Oaktree, I found a hill climb that I wanted to try before loading up. I hit the climb way to hard, and almost flipped my rig. Then on the 3rd try I ripped up, all I could here is "Get'r'done Jerry"!!!

You guys missed a fun run, I didn't notice any YAWNING!!!! :D :D

More pics: http://coloradok5.com/photos/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/4275

Last edited: Nov 14, 2005
  2. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

3. 78Buford

78Buford 1/2 ton status

Good report Jerry & thanks for leading our group! That's the first time I've had the big pile completely on it's side. :eek1: Brad should have a few pictures to add as well. Jerry definitely led us on one hell-of-an adventure this past Saturday. :D

Roy

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Nice pics! Looks like you guys had a good time!

5. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

Looks like alot of fun, Jerry!

6. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Section of the "Ugly Trail".........this is a pretty fun little trail, and as Jerry mentioned seemed quite a bit harder than it used to be. Of course the running water, leaves, and a little slimy mud on top helps also.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of my buddys in his clean glass bodied CJ-7 (33's on beadlocks, dual ARB's, efi 258, etc... Right about here we heard a popping sound and his left front stopped spinning. After winching him the rest of the trail we found it to be just a locking hub problem and got it fixed.
    [​IMG]

7. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Clay's Hollow was next and definitely fun. This was a good trail that combined the need for both technical driving and a little mojo once you found the right line. Walking around was pretty tough and everybody used the winch at least once.

Here's a pic of the big Ford (78Buford) on it's side.......this picture is kinda' like kicking somebody when they are down, but just couldn't resist.
    [​IMG]

This is the really tight and nasty spot. As Jerry mentioned he took some pretty good damage on this even with using the winch. He's not stuck, just simply can't go any further forward.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The big Ford, the white CJ-7, and myself all decided to take the "bypass" trail out of the ravine prior to that nasty rock section. The green YJ (33's, dual lockers, 4.88 gears, 4-banger) decided to run rest of the trail. Even the small Jeep took major damage........tore the soft top off and mangled the driver's side enough that the half door wouldn't close (oh, did I mention it's his daily driver and he had a 3+ hour drive home :eek1: ).

Here is the "bypass" out of the ravine. All three of us had to winch several vehicle lengths. Even the healthy 460, 42" tires, and long wheelbase of the Ford couldn't get it up the hill under it's own power.
    [​IMG]

8. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

Looks like a great trail run, Jerry! I'm sure it was fun, I wish I coulda went! Great pics too!

9. JK5

guido666, madmike, Emmettology 101 and atho...
    You guys missed a hellava good time. :D

6.2 nice pics!!!! :bow: :bow:
    I watched some of the video Tim took...
    it needs some serious editting...and I'll send you a copy. :wink1:

10. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

I know. But I don't have a front driveshaft right now anyways. :doah:

11. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

12. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Looks like a blast!!! A vid would be sweet :thumb:

13. JK5

guido666

Front shaft...I can build you one. ;)
    I'm about 30 minutes north of you.
    We're thinking about going to a buds farm in Clinton this weekend. :D
    It depends on the weather.

jekquistk5, 6.2 Blazer

I watched the first hour of the video last night...some great footage.
    I took some of the ugly, my buddy Tim took some of clay hollow from the passenger seat...it really gets your heart pumping. The both of us got some great angles..that really show how steep some of the trails are. :thumb: :thumb:

14. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

So as not to hijack, I've been in quite a dilema of what to do about my driveshaft problem. Check out the thread here...

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155370

How much would it be? You can email me at guido66611x@yahoo.com, or all my other contact info is in my profile.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2005
  15. OffRoadOhio

OffRoadOhio Registered Member

I've never seen or heard of Lcay Hollow before in there, where abouts is it, gotta hit that thing next run up there!

16. JK5

It's a new trail found in the rock garden area. If you head south from the Ugly trail..you'll see it before the chinese water fall..accross from that big mudhole. I hope that helps.

17. OffRoadOhio

Awesome.... I know about where you are talking..... Time to look for it!

18. JK5

Or hook up with us.... ;)

19. OffRoadOhio

My next wellsville ride is snoball 06 (last weekend of january) with rough rangers, yall are welcome to join us there....

that is if the BII is back together.

20. JK5

Oh...ok...I know of those guys...
    Chubby was on these boards for a while before he sold his k5.
    I almost went to last years snowball run. This winter...my k5 is going to be converted into a buggy...not sure if I can make it.