Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Welp I have fallen upon a 454 big block and 350 trans....BUT got ????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by triger, Mar 18, 2003.

1. triger

triger 1/2 ton status

<font color="green">Yep a guy got his truck t-boned and is getting rid of the engine and trans...still don't know what axles he has on the truck but can get those too if they are what I want...A whopping $700. for both or the whole truck! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

Anyways...I have a few ??? I have a '90 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif and want to drop the motor and trans in but need to know the following...

1. Will the 350 trans bolt up to the NP241 transfer case? ( if the parts truck doesn't have what I can use)

2. I am not sure but think the 454 is carb...What year does the big block come with a tbi???

3. If I find a tbi intake for it will my stock wiring harness fit??? Or do I have to change the computer or the whole wire harness and computer???

4.If I get the axles (if they are 3/4 or 1 ton, do I have to change the transfer case too??

5.Now for the most infamous question on this site...Gear Ratio? with a big block and a 4 to 6 in" lift and 33 to 35 in" tires. What gears would I run in the stock corporate 10 bolts and in 3/4 or 1 ton axles???

6. Now do I need a bigger radiator or will the stock one be OK?

Now if you know other things that I may need to know please feel free to educate me cause I am very excited and want to do this the right way... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

Thanks
    T </font>

2. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

6) I went from the stock 2 core rad to a new 4 core radiator from radiator.com. It still runs a bit hotter than my 454 but its OK

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

you need to provide alot more info like what year and model the 454 truck is!

if the 454 truck is 2wd then youre screwed cuz you need 4x4 tranny to bolt ot transfer case

4 core is reccommended and easy swap

good luck

4. midget

midget Registered Member

As far as sticking a 454 in a 90 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif you may run into some trouble with the engine mounts. I swapped a 454 into my 74 /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif and ran into some trouble with the mounts. Nothing that couldn't be worked with but it is not a straight bolt in. You may just have to get a little creative with this one.

Definately go with a 4 row radiator. If you get the whole truck you should be able to use the radiator mounting setup it had and move it to your truck with a little modification.

Gear ratios, if you are going to run 35's (don't do 33's please) I would go with 4.10. I ran them for a long time with the 454/TH400 and 35's and thought the highway RPM was good and it still did pretty good off road.

Dont know a whole lot about TBI, but I bet the CPU for a 350 and 454 are different, I'm sure the program is different.

There may be a few little problems but going from a SB to a BB was one of the best things I have dont so far.

5. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Turbo 350????? Are you sure it is not a Turbo 400?

John

6. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

i believe the 454 came w/ tbi the same yr the rest of the engine went tbi (87)

7. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You can out the 454 in your truck, use the "clam shells" that are on your 454, and will slide right in. Yes, you can put TBI on it, if it doesn't have it already. The CPU is the same, as is the harness and most of the sensors. You will need the 454 TBI itself, and a the prom from a 454 TBI truck. Depending on what year the 454 is, you might need an intake. Need alot more info on both trucks to answer axles and t-case questions. Use the rad off the 454 truck, and use 4:10s for either tires, though kinda high for 33s.

8. jhrody

jhrody 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Turbo 350????? Are you sure it is not a Turbo 400?

John

[/ QUOTE ]

mine has a 350 behind a 454.....

no slipping