Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wendy's Chilli is finger lickin' good

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MTMike, Mar 25, 2005.

1. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

Feb 10, 2005

March 25, 2005

Woman finds human finger in Wendy's chili :yikes:

Knight Ridder News

SAN JOSE, Calif. - Wendy's chili is not made out of people - well, it is, but just a little bit.

Santa Clara County health officials confirmed Wednesday that the thing a woman bit on when enjoying her chili at a Monterey Highway Wendy's was, in fact, a human finger. They're not sure whose.

It was about an inch-and-a-half, with a longish, nicely groomed nail.

And while it gave the woman - Anna Ayala, 39, of Las Vegas - a bad case of the willies, it likely caused no physical illness, officials said.

That's because the finger was safely cooked, simmering along at 170 degrees with more traditional chili ingredients, such as tomatoes, beef and beans.

At about 7:20 p.m. Tuesday, Ayala, in town with her family to drop off her in-laws who live in San Jose, scooped up a mouthful of chili.

It was her first visit to a Wendy's. "I'm more of a Carl's Jr. person,'' she said Thursday night.

"Suddenly something crunchy was in my mouth,'' she said, "and I spit it out.''

After much examination, she and her tablemates realized just what the special ingredient was. Then the vomiting commenced.

Police and county health officials were called to the Wendy's, but no one there was missing any digits.

video extra
    video link

"We had everyone kind of show us they had 10 fingers, and everything was OK there,'' said Ben Gale, director of the county's Department of Environmental Health.

In confirming it was a finger, the county medical examiner also found that it wasn't badly decomposed and had a solid set of fingerprints. Conceivably, officials said, police could lift a print and perhaps match it to a partially fingered person through a database. Then ask, what happened?

For now, officials figure - since it was a jagged cut - it may have happened on a meat grinder.

In any case, the county shut the Wendy's for a while and impounded all the remaining chili and all the ingredients used to make it, which is whipped up on site. They hope to track all the fixings to try to find the source of the finger.

It is, of course, possible it was planted by someone who wants to cash-in on a gross-out civil suit.

"That's certainly plausible,'' said Medical Examiner Joseph O'Hara, "but then where would she have gotten the finger?''

All involved say they've never experienced anything like it. And Wendy's spokesman Bob Bertini said never in the fast-food chain's 35 years has a body part showed up in the food.

Wendy's founder Dave Thomas always used to say, "Quality is our recipe.''

Maybe so, but they might want to rejigger the chili recipe.
  2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Jul 22, 2001
    I worked at Wendy's when I was 21 . The chilli meat is the burnt or broken patties from the whole days cooking . Think about that :D
  3. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Jan 18, 2004
    Yup I worked at wendys too. burnt meat on the grill gets thrown into a pan, once the pan is full rinse it put it in a bag then put it in a freezer. The next day they put it in a pan boil it then chop it up and put it in the chili :thumb: I no longer eat chilli at wendy's. About the only thing I eat is potatos and salad.
  4. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

Nov 22, 2004
    I worked at a wendys 15 or 20 years ago and burnt or well done patties can of beans and tomatos and a pack of seasoning had to be in the beans or tomato cans.
  5. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Nov 29, 2004

My son worked at Wendy's then came home and told me never to eat the chili. He said the exact same thing, all the days unsellable leftover meat is tossed into the chili batch. YUCK!

The funny thing is my wife still eats it. Double YUCK and a BLECHT. I think if most people knew what fast food restaurants do in the kitchen you'd be less inclined to eat there.
  6. dwoods

dwoods 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Jan 26, 2005
    Makes me hungry for Wendy's Chili too bad its Good Friday.
  7. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Jan 9, 2002
    People are too uptight about what they eat

However, my chili is fresh made every day. Five gallons at a time.

We do use canned beans, but the tomatoes are fresh. Lots of garlic and chilis