Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Went and looked at a 427 today for $1200

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, Apr 25, 2004.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

It's in a '78 3/4 ton 2wd Chevy. The truck is worth nothing really, it been picked apart. But the motor, according to the numbers is a '69 Impala 427, which came factory with a cast crank, cast domed pistons, 10.25:1, 335hp at 4800RPM; 460ft/lb torque at 3200RPM.

All thats really worth anything on the truck is the TH400 and the 14 bolt rear. It has been sitting for 5-6 years, so seals may be dried out. Supposedly, the guy thinks his dad, who passed away, had rebuilt it and said it has a lumpy cam in it and that they would always easily burnout in the truck.

So, is a '69 427 motor worth this much?

2. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

IF UR GOING 2 SPEND THAT KIND OF $$ WHY NOT MAKE IT WORTH YOUR WHILE. BUY A 472/500 CADDY MOTOR? bigger hp and way bigger torque and less weight to boot /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif its what I'm running and I can't say enough good things about it. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

What type of heads are on it? are they large or small port, Also is the block a four bolt main?

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

A 427 is nearly invaluable. There is no question as to if the truck is worth that dollar figure.

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have never heard of a 427 in an impala ever. They were put in corvettes, and camaros and the tall deck 427's were used in trucks.

6. mountainexplorer

I called up my "resource" for running numbers (a friend who either has them memorized or has the books to reference to), and he said that it was a '69 Impala 427 motor.

Here are the numbers: (front of the block, behind the alternator)

T1022LE (large set)
    49J147344 (small set)

Its a cast crank, 2-bolt main... presumably open chamber heads. I was telling my friend who found the ad for it that it was probably worth it for alot of car guys, especially ones who want that vintage/year motor. In fact, my friend I called to get the info. knew of a guy who has a '69 Impala SS454 car that needs a motor, so I refered him to this one.

For us 4x guys, I thought it's probably not the deal of the century for the price, since we're not as concerned about matching numbers, but more for "does it run".

7. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

the site Mortec.com is great for checking numbers. For that price seeing that it is a 2 bolt main I would pass and find a nice 454 to work with......

8. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

427's can be worth ALOT of money, to the right person. 427's in impala's are rare. My buddies father used to run a 427 67 imp wagon. set up from the factory with a 4 spd. custom ordered it JUST for racing. to bad he scraped the car and used the 427 in his chevelle, and then blew it up!! That car is ultra rare and worth a ton now.

I have said this before, But what i would do, is buy the truck, research the engine #'s. You might be able to sell the engine to the "right" buyer for ALOT of cash!! When I was redoing my 69 427 tripower vette, I was looking for an ORIGINAL block. I got it with a 70 replacement block. a 454 block with the 427 innerds. A non tripower, but 69 vette coded block used, bare, was 1,500!!! And that was the BEST price I found!! I know that block today would sell over 2,000 bare to the right buyer. It might be worth checking out. Then you can sell it and go buy a 472 caddy or a new 502!!!

Just a thought. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I have never heard of a 427 in an impala ever. They were put in corvettes, and camaros and the tall deck 427's were used in trucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Buddy of mine once had an original Impala with the 427 and th400. The numbers matched also. The car was a '69 BTW.

[ QUOTE ]
    '69 Impala 427, which came factory with a cast crank

[/ QUOTE ]

False. The '69 427's should have the forged steel cranks. Again, my buddy whom had the '69 Impala rebuilt the 427 and found the crank to be forged. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

10. mountainexplorer

[ QUOTE ]
    False. The '69 427's should have the forged steel cranks. Again, my buddy whom had the '69 Impala rebuilt the 427 and found the crank to be forged.

[/ QUOTE ]

So do you think this has a forged steel crank? I asked my friend who ran the numbers, and he said that this one (according to what he looked up by the numbers) was just a cast crank. I guess the only way to tell would be to pull the motor and look 1st hand.

This also came in tha car originally backed by a TH400 tranny, according to the info.

11. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a great deal, the real test will be when you pull the valve covers to see if it has the original heads, if so you will make $$$ easily. Also hopefully it still has the original intake & exhaust manifolds.....nice find /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. gm4x

gm4x 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I called up my "resource" for running numbers (a friend who either has them memorized or has the books to reference to), and he said that it was a '69 Impala 427 motor.

Here are the numbers: (front of the block, behind the alternator)

T1022LE (large set)
    49J147344 (small set)

Its a cast crank, 2-bolt main... presumably open chamber heads. I was telling my friend who found the ad for it that it was probably worth it for alot of car guys, especially ones who want that vintage/year motor. In fact, my friend I called to get the info. knew of a guy who has a '69 Impala SS454 car that needs a motor, so I refered him to this one.

For us 4x guys, I thought it's probably not the deal of the century for the price, since we're not as concerned about matching numbers, but more for "does it run".

[/ QUOTE ]

T= Tonawanda Plant
    10= October
    22= day of month
    LE= 427 cu in. 335 HP 10:25 to 1 compression 4 BBl Carb.
    TH tranny. But THEN, I found ANOTHER "LE" listing under 69 Impala SS, that states it's a 390 HP 427 /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif But regardless, it isn't the 425, 430, or 435 HP version.

Also, GM didn't use 454 in 69 SS Impala. 427SS was it. 70 Chevelle has SS396 & SS454. (Just FYI).

13. mountainexplorer

The truck it is in now was a factory 454 truck. The exhaust manifolds look like the truck ones, and the intake looks just like a factory low steel intake with a Q-jet on it.

14. mountainexplorer

Thats exactly what he told me. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Did you see anything on the torque rating?

I'm wondering how a 427 would spin four 39.5" Boggers. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

15. gm4x

gm4x 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Thats exactly what he told me. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Did you see anything on the torque rating?

I'm wondering how a 427 would spin four 39.5" Boggers. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, sorry. My books don't spec torque ratings. Can't answer to the last question. I'm aware you can't beat cubic inches for power, but I've always preferred small-blocks. I'd think 427 cubes would have no problem brakin' em loose though.

16. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

In June of 1969, I pulled a low miles 427 out of an ordinary '68 Monte Carlo. FWIW, the sticker on the valve cover was Tonawanda Team and the other sticker was "TurboJet 385 HP"

It had a Q-jet, hyd lifters. I never checked to see if it was cast crank, or 2/4 bolt. I'll post a pic of it in my gallery.

17. gm4x

gm4x 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    In June of 1969, I pulled a low miles 427 out of an ordinary '68 Monte Carlo. FWIW, the sticker on the valve cover was Tonawanda Team and the other sticker was "TurboJet 385 HP"

It had a Q-jet, hyd lifters. I never checked to see if it was cast crank, or 2/4 bolt. I'll post a pic of it in my gallery.

[/ QUOTE ]

Show me a pic of a '68 Monte Carlo too /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

18. Steve_87K5

What year did the large late 60s Monte begin? I thought it was 68? Maybe 70? Am I wrong? Pic of the engine is in my gallery.

19. gm4x

gm4x 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    What year did the large late 60s Monte begin? I thought it was 68? Maybe 70? Am I wrong? Pic of the engine is in my gallery.

[/ QUOTE ]

1970 was the first year for MC. If you're sure your 427 is 68 vintage, it had to be Vette, or B body. The Monte SS's were 454's.

Edit:The 385 HP version 427 was only in B body (in 68). Was either IJ/IS/or IC code

20. Steve_87K5

Agreed, it was '70 for the first Monte. I remember my 427 though, was pulled out of a full sized car in Summer of '69. (30 Mile Auto Parts, Dunkirk, NY) I checked the miles, 18,000, before I bought it.
    (it was $300, by the way) I guess I could have confused an Impala for a Monte 30+ yrs ago. But not a Vette. Was there a 385 hp Vette in those years?