Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Went and looked at the M1009, now I have lots of questions...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Lotsa_Faith, Jun 22, 2002.

1. Lotsa_Faith

Lotsa_Faith 1/2 ton status

Went with my dad to look at the M1009 today, and found out some problems it has. When accelerating "normally" from a stop, there is a big nasty rattling coming from either the engine or tranny? I am thinking maybe something to do with the linkage from the flywheel to the tranny, since the motor was swapped from diesel to a 350. Also, at about half throttle starting around 40, It starts cutting out then back in as long as you stay on the throttle. Is this the carb? Maybe too rich or too lean? Another thing is the front springs. Are they supposed to have a negative arch? Not arching downward like the back springs, but arching up in the middle? These are all the questions I have to ask as of right now, we're gonna have a mechanic check it all over and see whats wrong before I buy it...

2. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

As for the springs thats normal for stock Hieght the miss could be alot of thing without being there can't say for sure,the rattle, well better check it thouroghly out. These military rigs were well abused I know iseen many in the yard at my dad motor pool!
    Bill C /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

When you say "carb" and "too rich or lean", I'm assuming you think there is a gas motor in the truck?

If so, M-series trucks are equipped with 6.2 diesel motors.

4. Lotsa_Faith

OK so we'll take it into a mechanic and see what kinda work needs to be done to it. I may also let K5Jimmy check it out if he gets some spare time anytime soon. I had to explain to my dad that buying new replacement springs would cost alot, so why not go with the 4" lift springs? lol...

5. Lotsa_Faith

thatK30guy, its not good to assume...i assume you forgot to read the whole post if you think that i don't know that they originally came with a 6.2?

lol j/k no hard feelings...i do that all the time...get all excited and jump out and start typing...i understand.

6. thatK30guy

Ok, I re-read the post. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Duh-me!! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

I got too into thinking about what the rattling noise could be and was also fixed on the "M-1009" symbol instead of reading about the 6.2 to 350 swap. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

My bad!!! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

7. thatK30guy

Oh, BTW, I forgot something..."never assume. It makes an ASS of U and ME." /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif