Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

went and test drove the H3

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by supersize75k5, Feb 24, 2007.

1. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

ive been looking a bit for something newer to get that I could actually go out in, I want something fun, a bit classy and not over 30XXX that seats five, looked at one again today and test drove it. im kind of diggin it. I looked at the tahoe but it really screams dent me and the hummer is a bit more utility.

My thoughts were a black hummer, 4 inch lift, blacked out rims, roof rack, some aggressive tires and just keep it in the garage and drive it nights or on the weekend. I was not going to lay down cash yet but im curious as to if anyone owns one. I am also considering leasing one since it wont see many miles and I will want something else in a few years im sure, at that rate I would not bother with a lift. im looking to do a nice down payment like I did with my 07 work truck to keep the payments way down.

thoughts? other suv's options or one to look at. I have looked at countless cars and a few used 99-01 corvetts as well but I dont think im a low to the ground car guy. also looked at a gto and a couple mopars but I really really do not like the dodge interiors.

looked at so far..

cars..

gto, liked it but the front in looks boring
    magnum wagon...way cool srt, fast, nice system but interiors suck
    charger..same interior issue
    corvette..older body style, not really my image..seems people would view me wrong

suvs

h3..seems to like it, cost is ok, utility look, but a litte soccer momish
    tahoe..total soccer mom, a little more $$ and big
    liberty..would be cool lifted but seems cramped, not my thing
    rubicon....cool but no reason to have a locked 4.1 jeep that I dont want to get dirty

just want something to get to use other than work, I work all day in my truck, drive an average of 200 miles a day and the last thing I want is to have to clean out all my business stuff every time I want to take the girlfriend with me, it drives me nuts. I am not interested in getting a second truck though as that makes no sence to me.

ideas??

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2007
  2. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

talk to Brent (roadnotca), he is a member here and also a H3 owner. we ran Miller Jeep Trail in his bone stock H3 with just 200 miles on it and it did great. its not a hard trail but its chalenging in some spots for a stock truck.

3. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

From what I've read, everything on it but the power of the engine is pretty good. Performs well off road too. Needs to have the 5.3 put in it. Or a mini diesel.

4. dogdaysunrise

dogdaysunrise 1/2 ton status

What about an Xterra or a FJ Cruiser?

If you are looking at getting something real nice to drive around in why not a 300c or even a Solstice? Something with some gusto and style.

5. K5Greek

K5Greek 1/2 ton status

6. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

7. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

^^Looks like Aztek meets Altima. Big surprise, another new GM design I don't like.

For what you are describing, I would look at an Xterra as well as the H3. The Nissan has better visibly and I think they look better. Both are down in the power department. Camsk5 has (or had) one.

8. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

My g/f was dead-set on buying an H3 until she test drove one, said it was way underpowered and bought a Rover instead. *shrug*

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

dude, you spend more $ on rigs in any given year than I have in my entire life. Must be nice to be a rich bastage. :grin:

How about Dodge Nitro?

j

10. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

If you can wait the H3 is getting a 5.3L this fall. It will be the H3 Alpha.

The colorado and canyon are also getting the V8. Yeah baby. GM is getting its head out of its a$$ finally.

11. jekbrown

if they were, they'd have solid axles too. :thumb: I agree though, GM has been using straight 5s and other BS way to much in mid-sized (aka heavy) rigs...

j

12. jekbrown

approach angles would be great on the Nitro if its front bumper wasn't so Chevy-riffic. With a custom one, some slightly larger meats and a little lift, it'd be a cool grocery getter.

[​IMG]

j

13. supersize75k5

the nitro is cool I have friend with one, it looks cheap to me, and it has the usual dodge interior, caliber is the same issue. to be honest I think the big three and have stepped it up in quality and value. I am around a body shop alot so I get to see them from bran new to alot of hard miles. the dodges I have noticed alot of them have serious interior wear on the inside in just a few months to a year.

i have also thought aout using my down to just build a classic car, but I dont want to wait a year to drive it, I have also thought of just buying one done with a small block and tossing in my big block and stealing my dads munci "sp"? extra tranny:laugh:

the h3 with a 5.3 would be cool! I had heard that somewhere but did not know if it was sure thing:bow:

14. supersize75k5

the 300 is a dodge interior issue as well, the body style is also getting older, the xterra is on the cool list but again a body style that has been out.

hmm the fj cruiser is a cool one, but the only problem there is I see freaking ten million blue and yellow ones per day, and I drove one, the rear has a blind spot that makes the h3 feel like it was a convertable in comparrison to blind spots.

15. supersize75k5

no richness here, I just keep my bills low, I put just over 10 down to get my 07, plus a trade. for this I am putting the same or more down, it keeps the payments real low. I also hope toss a balloon payment so to speak every time a really large check comes in, thus knocking the balance to around 10,xxx.

like I said I just want to enjoy what I work for, after working in a truck all day, driving all day in it, I dont feel like being in it when I go out. I will be waiting after taxes before I spend any large sum...uncle same owns me this year and i chose to not pay every quarter for taxes..:crazy:

16. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

My choice would be a Used Corvette Z51. Lots of choices out there for 30 grand, especially if you're willing to go with a slightly used or just off-lease model. Many luxury cars and SUV's around $30K with 10K miles on them, Denali, 3/4 ton Subs, Benzes and Bimmers, etc. Hell, $30k will buy a used Diesel of your choice. I too like the H3's, but they are a little foo-foo, you have to admit. A clean Tahoe would be nice, or Tacoma, for 30K you can get just about anything you want, even an older Porsche or something along those lines.

17. Jrgunn5150

Jrgunn5150 1/2 ton status

I drove an H3 before we bought our Rubicon Unlimited, visibility sucked, power was ok, interior was much nicer. I however wanted a 4:1 locked rig that would be reliable, I definately get it dirty.

18. supersize75k5

some of those are interesting options, the tahoe is really nice, but it just has no utility look to it.

ill look up that vett to, something that also crossed my mind wa s plymouth prowler! i have to see what they cost, i imagin they are 30-45. they are very cool but I have heard way under powered???:confused: this brings back the issue with a vett though, people will see me in the wrong way, a h3 would not be like im trying to flaunt it or anything.
    [​IMG]

i really like the tacomas and tundras, but I already have a truck so thats out. i wonder what the h3 with a 5.3 would have as a tow rating hmm:confused:

19. jekbrown

lol, I guess its all a matter of perspective... in my world, if you have $10k to put down on anything... including a house... you're rich. :thumb:

At any rate, you like upgrading/building everything you own... just buy the Nitro and Pimp My Ride-ify the interior as you go. No down time, no wear issues.

j

ps: yes, the Prowler is prolly the 2nd sexiest car of all time... straight up bad ass! :thumb:

20. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

If you are just looking for something to cruise around in comfort with the GF and dont want a car. How about a Porsche Cayenne TURBO S. With over 500 hp and 530 torque I dont think the word "underpowered" is even in the dictionary.
    With almost 11 inches of ground clearence, a 32* attack angle and onboard air.They also will go off road nicely
    Mite be a little more than you want to spend tho. But you cant put a price on a good time.