Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Went shopping/story and questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Broke_Wheeler, Jan 25, 2006.

1. Broke_Wheeler

Broke_Wheeler Registered Member

Just went and looked at a 86' K5. 6.2 diesel.auto. yada yada. Very good body minimal rust. No rust or rot underneath. Needs new front seats/ or just some covers... No radio...yanked out. HERES where it gets intresting. well not really. The guy( i known him for a long time he buys and sells cars for a living) so hes a kinda shady, but wont totally screw you. anway. wants 1000 for truck but says the motor in it dosent run.. hasant tried to start it his mechanic says it needs new hoses and he didnt know much else too why it dosent run.. but says he will GIVE me a new 6.2.. that only has like 20,xxx miles on it... I just dont know guys and girls.. i have 2 grand to play with.. and i dont know how bad a motor swap is going to be and how much extra misc parts are gonna be. Ive very mechanical inclined around cars, there my life, i just have never done a swap before. So i guess im asking for any advice... what kinda timeframe to swap in a new 6.2 and how much this could end up costing, motor swap wise. On a side note.. Im going to talk to the mechanic who checked this truck out to begin with and see if he can tell me exactly whats wrong, because from what i understand disels are built tough.. i would think i can do a tune up new glow plugs etc. and get it going... so any kinda advice is awesome, and if you need more details let me know. Sorry about the long post and thanks everyone -lyons

2. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

well, I've never tackled a diesel, but I just finished a small block 350 swap.. I'm a complete noob and I was able to do it with the help of ck5. I just need to do alot of tuning now, but I wouldn't let the swap intimidate you. These trucks are a money pit. You WILL run into other expenses, and these projects will nickle and dime you to death.. All that being said, I would go for it.
    Thanks,
    James

BTW, I paid 1,000 for my burb... and everything that holds fluid on it, leaks :o

3. Broke_Wheeler

Thanks for the comment Im not worried about expenses later down the road. I just would need to get it up and running/on the road as fast as possible.. Thats my only concern. My other problem is im 18 and still live at home, and my fater dosent want this thing sitting in the backyard as an eye sore (dosnet have faith ill complete it if i start) hence why i would need the swap done as soon as it permits.( i know every swap is diffrent and thers no "set" time that it will take. Just trying to get ideas.) ::Side note:: My buddy just bought a '95 dodge w/ 80,xxx miles lifted/33 ;s mint condition for 3,200 why cant i find these deals. Any more thoughts welcomed -lyons

4. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

One-for-one motor swap is easy, just study print before-hand and even do it in the sequence written in the book. Just did 350 also, but this one's about the 20th, pinched the hot lead to the dizzy, took me a week to realize I blew the fusible link just like it's supposed to:doah: Truck's running great, engine is loosening-up just fine.

5. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I would offer him less money (say $700), and see if he takes it. Then bargain up from there. Another thing is to make sure when you drive off with the truck, you have that extra engine with you at the same time. Do not trust him to give you the engine later. You will be just asking to get screwed if you do not get everything in the deal immediately after you give him the money.

6. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Thats a big YUP.

7. 10pax

10pax Registered Member

I work on 6.2's

I am a mechanic in the Army and that same engine is in our hummers, cucv's, 3/4t trucks, and a multidude of other vehicles. They are durable engines. I will say this much...They are notorious for cracking heads ans blowing head gaskets if they overheat. The heads seem to be the weakest link which is good considering the cost difference in another block. Get a comression test if possible. I could get you the numbers tommarrow if you need me too. If it has a compression problem, you could very well be looking at a complete rebuild but you say that he has another engine which is good. The swap will be simple. They don't have distributors so as long as they haven't taken the injector pump has not been taken off, you don't have to worry about stabbing the distro right or getting the timming down. If you need any specs or technical info, let me know. I can scan and send you factory troubleshooting or anything on that engine you need. Just feel free to E-Mail me anytime at james.willis1@us.army.mil

James

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Sounds familiar..

I bought my 82 K20 with a 6.2 under nearly identical curcumstances..my friend the "used car salesman",who I also got my 79 C10 from,cut me a real good deal on the 82 because it had a boneyard motor swapped in,and the guys who did it only knew about gas engines,and couldn't get it started!..

I was no diesel genious either(still ain't really!)..but I managed to get it running by putting in new glow plugs,fuel line hoses,and with the help of a few posters here on CK5,I soon had it running great..it was a very good investment,I could easily get 1000 bucks more than I paid for it..it came with a plow frame too!.its one of the best trucks I've had bodywise(not too much rust for a MA truck)..and I like the 6.2's mileage and torque..

I'd say if your afraid of spending a lot of money to have it fixed FOR you,because you don't know how,it might not be worth it..but the spare motor is worth about 600-1000 bucks alone,and depending on what you'd have to pay,it could be worth having it repaired...but I bet you could get it going with some help from someone here,or you'll figure it out !!

I'd buy it if I had the cash,and not worry..even if you bail out of it,I doubt you'd lose ,you could sell it and the other motor for more than a grand,at least here you could..diesel ANYTHING is selling like hotcakes here,though the 6.2 isn't a Cummins,its still a diesel!..:crazy:

9. Broke_Wheeler

Thanks guys for all the info. I still need to do a bit more research. I am fairly confident i can figure out whats wrong with the engine in there, and get it running, but thats hard too tell. I just have to start making decisions... I mean a grand for a truck and spare 6.2.. i just cant get it out of my head. all i been thinking about the past few days. I mean the bug has hit me hard. And i would also think a straight up engine swap wouldnt be to terrible complicated. Im going to tell the guy, i want to see the truck run at least so i know the tranny is ok and the 4x4 engages.. and lights and little stuff works before i commit too it. Any other comments are welcomed, and thanks too everyone

10. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

LITTLE STUFF??:haha:

11. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Am I the only one that thinks the deal sounds too good? I mean the spare diesel with only 20000? Wouldn't that be worth at least the $1000? I could be suffering translation US to Canadian dollars and Miles to Kilometers, but sounds fishy to me. Definitely don't walk away without the spare motor.

12. Broke_Wheeler

yea thats what i was thinking. "Says" he paid 1250 for the motor and like 1k for the truck. And i definately wouldnt give him money til i had both truck/motor in my paws. I think i would be getting in over my head just yet seeing as i would have too have the motor in the truck and it running/driving in 30 days. ( father says i have to sell my dodge D50 in 30 days after purchase of new vechicle so it dosent disturb out insurance plan etc.) as much as i want this truck, i need too look at the big picture. I think ima save a little more, and buy something that will actually drive. So yet again my plans for a 6.2 K5 have been disrupted. THANK YOU to everyone for all of there help, and im on the hunt again :)