Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wen't to pay and pick up the 87' K5 and....knock,knock

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rjfguitar, Jan 19, 2004.

1. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Wen\'t to pay and pick up the 87\' K5 and....knock,knock

Well the guy that is selling it said he had the tank and pump changed but it was still dieing...I came over to try and figure it out again and I mess with it for a while starting it and letting it run for 20 to 30 seconds and then dieing again. Plenty of fuel at the throttle body, spark, and air obviously so I figure it is just a bad sensor. Another guy comes over that knows a lot about these TBI motors and we fire it up for him and then we here a slight knock...knock...knock /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif, he says the comp. is shutting it off because there isn't enough oil pressure, guage says about 35psi at idle but it just started knocking so there is obviously no oil pressure and us starting it over and over did the motor in. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif oops... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif So anyway the deal is off for the 87'. It is just going to be parted out and I think I am going to buy the whole complete interior out of it for $350. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif perfect dash pad, almost perfect brushed alum. guage bezel, slightly stained but not torn front seats, perfect rear seat, bed sides, and door panels. Interior is grey by the way so is $350 a good deal?

2. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

Re: Wen\'t to pay and pick up the 87\' K5 and....knock,knock

If it has cloth seats, thats a good deal A good dash pad goes for 100 easy, the seats for 150.00 so for 100 bucks more, you get all the interior?? sounds good to me. does it have a headliner also??

3. rjfguitar

Headliner carpet is missing but thats OK because I am going to cut out flames out of thin foam, glue flames to headliner backing, and carpet over to reveal 3D flames. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. 85scottsdale

85scottsdale 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Headliner carpet is missing but thats OK because I am going to cut out flames out of thin foam, glue flames to headliner backing, and carpet over to reveal 3D flames. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'v seen that done with door panels before, but never to a headliner, thats gonna look pretty sweet! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I think you should still get the rig. Why part a nice rig cause it needs a crank kit?

6. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    I think you should still get the rig. Why part a nice rig cause it needs a crank kit?

[/ QUOTE ]
    I know, it's a really clean truck but the guy that owns it also owns the local wrecking yard and says he can get more for it by parting it out than what I wanted to give him.
    We agreed on $1,500 for the blazer running(before we knew the oil pump wasn't pumping). Now after hearing the knock he said he had another 87' 350 with a unknown number of miles on it and he would include it for still 1,500. I said I would give him only a grand with the 2nd motor and thats when he said it is worth more parted out than that. I originally planned to give the truck to my GF but then that changed and I decided to just resell it and make some cash off of it. (hoping for around 4K) but now it isn't worth it to me to switch motors to only make a small profit off it. IT makes me sad to see this truck get parted out because it is just way to nice for a parts truck but what can I do? Nothing unless I want to pay 1.5K. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Around here a rig with a nice body and everything else trashed can go for up to 2,000!! I tried offering a guy a grand for a K5 in August or so, but it was a mechanical disaster.

8. rjfguitar

There isn't but 3 small dents in the whole body and the interior is cherry. It has a rebuilt th700 and the transfer case shifts good. Like you said all it needs is a bottom end. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif What do you think an 87' blazer with nice jet black paint, one piece windows, almost perfect grey interior, factory aluminums on good rubber, rebuilt th700, 3.73 gears, power everything, and a good running motor worth?

9. dodgedude99

dodgedude99 1/2 ton status

speaking of sculptured headliner and door panels.
    i did mine in Zebra print with a raised "bowtie" in the center.

10. tungsten

tungsten 1/2 ton status

You could buy that truck for $1500, put the other motor in it, get it running and then sell it for an easy $3000 if it is in good of shape as you say.

It'd be a worthwhile investment, in my book.

11. rjfguitar

I'm thinking I could get at least 4K for it. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

12. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Up here I'd say a decent K5 will get you at LEAST $3k. If it were pretty flawless (no major dents, no rust, nice interior, no drivetrain issues) $4K would be easy.

See them all the time for $4K, and to be honest, if the ones I've seen actually sell for that price, $4K would be a steal for one in real nice shape.

13. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

defently get it speacially if hes givin you another moter with it!!

14. rjfguitar

hhhmmmmmmmmmm... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

15. i8yrsuv

i8yrsuv 1/2 ton status

I think its alot of work to drop trany and trans and pull a motor ...,but if you have the time and the knucles ....go ahead !! I might also add if you can sit on it for a few weeks while trying to sell it and not get impatient .... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

16. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Just look in the classifieds. Best way to see approximately what the market will bear.

17. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    I think its alot of work to drop trany and trans and pull a motor ...,but if you have the time and the knucles ....go ahead !! I might also add if you can sit on it for a few weeks while trying to sell it and not get impatient .... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ] I don't need to mess with the tranny, just the motor and yeah it is a lot of work. I am starting to get busy again. I have plenty of time to hold out on it as far as waiting for the right buyer.

18. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    Just look in the classifieds. Best way to see approximately what the market will bear.

[/ QUOTE ] I looked in the autotrader and there was one just like it for 8K. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

19. civicstomper

civicstomper 1/2 ton status

I would say go for it. Like you said, the interior is worth at least $350, transfer cases go for a heck of a lot of money even used, body panels can be worth a couple hundred to someone if they are like you say and in good shape. That alone could add up to well over $1000 to the right buyer, now figure with a running engine/ good transmission, add in the fact that its the middle of winter and 4x4 is king of the road in most people's minds there could be quite a demand for that truck. I think if you have the time, you could really make that truck worth somehting to someone. well, thats just my opinion. good luck in whatever you decide to do!
    -pete /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

20. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Sorry to hear about your misfortune friend /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif.......but id have to agree with the masses,and say go ahead and buy the thing,rjf...everythings there already,if hes giving you a DECENT motor.its just the time,NO TIME,THERE IS NO TIME,thats the problem,sounds like your in the same boat as me!!Well,if you dont buy it,ya know anyone with half a brain ,WILL!!!(by the way,whats the adress that the trucks at?(joke)...) /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif If you dont buy it, i have a funny feeling someone ELSE is going to swoop on it,then what? /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gifThen your out everything,and thats no good.So what,it took us 3 days to swap a new 350 in ours(well you know whats involved w/your 400)and it will give you something to do. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif DONT MISS OUT!!!!I guarntee youll be kicking yourselfif you dont!! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif Lets sum it up /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif....1500 for...87 blazer ,comes w/motor,re-built 700,perfect t-case,sound running gear,power everything,A/Cand clean int,now if i saw that as an advertisement,id buy it,in a heartbeat.How much is the truck worth ?5-7 g easy...........Advise from a TRUE FRIEND, JACOB ,HI PINION /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif