Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

went to the bone-yard today

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by az ranger, Jan 3, 2005.

1. az ranger

az ranger 1/2 ton status

I went down looking for parts to do the 465 swap, I found a sm 465 out of an 83 1/2 4x4, I also found a 2wd 87 1 ton with pedal and hydro stuff for the clutch

Will I run into trouble with using a pre-hydrolic clutch transmission with with the stuff out of the 87?

Also, luckily for me the 465 still has the adapter to go to the 208 but I did not remember to measure the length. does anybody now how the length will compare to the length of my 700r4with 208.

If anybody is interested I also found a 14bff under the 87, and another sm465 pre 1981 with 10 spline output. I can get prices if anybody wants.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

transmission doesn't care whether hydraulic or not.

Make sure to get the clutch fork too, that is different from mech.

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

the 465 208 combo is the same length as a 700r4 208 combo

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Thats what I figured when I had my shaft out I compared it to my 4 speed shaft , and they were close ( my shaft is custom length ) :)

5. az ranger

az ranger 1/2 ton status

how close? will I have to do driveshaft mods? I no longer have the slip yoke either so it will have to be very close to fit properly. I also have a custom tom woods shaft that I will be using.

thanks for the replies

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

wouldnt bellhousing differ from manual to hydraulic slave type ? how does slave attach to bell then ? on s-10s and such it is special casting and two threaded holes and a rectangle hole there for slave to sit on

not same for full size ??

hmm

learn me, as i have never seen an 86-up manual

thanks

7. dyeager535

Yes, hydraulic setups have a different bellhousing with an "ear" cast on them for the slave.

I think everyone assumes that the "setup" would include the bell, I know I did.

8. az ranger

az ranger 1/2 ton status

Actually the tranny from the 83 did not have a bell housing, but I think the 2wd one that is in the 87 still does so I should be able to use that one.

he quoted me $250 for the tranny which is laying in the dirt, it still goes into all gears but I plan to rebuild it anyway for piece of mind.

he also told me $150 for all the clutch stuff I thought it seemed kind of high for just a few pieces and brackets and whatnot. what do you guys think?

9. dyeager535

I think $250 is way too much for a 465. How often do they fail? If they were in high demand, ok, but they aren't, because they last forever.

I wouldn't (and haven't) paid more than $50 for the ones I've picked up, which is lets see, 4 now. 2 32 spline 4wd versions, and 2 4wd 10 splines.

The 2wd is worthless to you if you didn't already know.

The pedals etc sound KIND of pricey, I'd rather pay $50 or so, since the pedals, fork, line from slave to master, and bellhousing are all you will probably be able to use.

The slave and master is about $100-150 new from Napa last I checked, and the situation with used masters/slaves is like the brake masters...if you need to bleed them, they will fail more often than not just from bleeding.

Did you try talking the guy down?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2005
  10. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

My CV shaft is 1 inch longer approx , than my spare or my 4 speed shaft . Eyeballed by me about a month ago . I could measure for sure when the rains gone away :k5: :k5:

11. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

The 465/208 and the 700R4/208 setups are the same length, no differences. The driveshafts are the same lengths. You should not have to modify your driveshafts to fit with the 4speed setup.

I think $250 is to much for the tranny. If the $150 price is for the hydro setup that is not bad as long as it includes the bellhousing, slave cylinder, master cylinder, etc. If it doesn't then it is a waste of money.

Harley

12. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

this isnt true. the mechanical BH bolts to the trans, the hydraulic bh bolts through the trans. you have to remove the threads on the x-msn and use a grinder to clearance out the bolt journals for the bolt heads to be installed. its a trial and error deal in my case. i didnt want to remove to much material, but i wanted to be able to use a socket. i found a thin wall socket and then made the journals big enough for it. then put the bolt in the hole and used the dremal to enlargen the area a bit for the socket on the bolt.

for removing the threads i had a reemer laying around and used it. they are half inch i belive.

the BH should be a hyd unit, BUT from advanced adaptors you can buy a bracket that will work with the mechanical unit for the slave cyl. this isnt the best idea in my eyes unless you have a cast iron BH from a mech unit.

i have a mechanical BH if you need, and can wait until i get home.
    Grant