Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

went to the fair today with the wife... TONS of pics!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jekbrown, Aug 6, 2006.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

We get free admission and parking at the fair every year from my mom (she sells junk there and gets a bunch of passes) so my wife and I decided to head out there for the day. The Clark County fair is a pretty big deal in my neck of the woods... its better than most any other county fair I have ever been too... and its better than some state fairs too. At any rate... check out da pics!

Ok, ya can't have a fair without some farm animals. Its pretty much a requirement. We saw a ton (actually lots of tons!) of cows, sheep, llamas, chickens, rabbits, goats, bees (!), pigs and pretty much every other animal one could associate with a farm. Here is a couple of pics of them farm animals. Starting with some cool camel cows (my big-city name for them!)...

[​IMG]

they have cool humps on their backs! Great big suckers. I kept thinking how much meat you could get out of just one. No idea how much each one weighed, but it was a whole lotta quarter pounders! Next we went to the horse barn...

[​IMG]

Horses are cool... my fav are the big old monster draft horses. Prolly impossible to ride one unless you can do the splits, but damn them suckers are biiiig! They had one there, his jaw muscle was bigger than my damn thigh! Like all women (wonder why!) my wife likes horses, so it was cool to check them out.

I thought the pile 'o' piglets was cool too. Future bacon sure is cute!

[​IMG]

Our fair has a hall that has a different exhibit every year. Last year it was an amazing collection of old fire engines. This year they had a fake dinosaur exhibit. It was kinda cool... especially since they combined it with the "World of Reptiles" display that they have at this fair every year. Here's my wife diggin' on Stegosaurus!

[​IMG]

...and a fossilized t-rex skull...

[​IMG]

They also had a super cool reconstructed skeleton of a Mastadon or wooly Mamoth (whatever) there. Apparently, inside this beasts partly-petrified stomach they found the oldest example of living bacteria ever discovered. :)

[​IMG]

Next we checked out the still-living reptiles. They had pretty much everything. Geckos, monitors, all kinds of snakes big and small, frogs, cool insects etc. Here are some samples, starting with your every day Gator...

[​IMG]

...I liked this cool Gecko...

[​IMG]

...and they had a healthy iguana there too...

[​IMG]

... and a cool tree full of snakes!

[​IMG]

...and even some big tortises...

[​IMG]

They had some awesome boas and anacondas there, but my pics kinda sucked and its hard to see them. We got to see a couple of different species of frogs having sex. That was cool and funny. Water was murky though and I couldn't get a good pic without a light source of some kind. I don't use my flash on animals... so I just had to settle with watching and laughing while they got it awwwn. :thumb:

2. jekbrown

No farm, and therefore no fair, would be complete without some old farming equipment. Every year they bust this old-as-hell-but-still-working junk for all to see. Man, they built things to LAST back in the day!

[​IMG]

they had a whole building full of old tractors too. I really liked this old JD. Cool umbrella. ;)

[​IMG]

Tractors and stuff are cool... but the real gear head in me looks for the super cool toys. This fair had a good share of fun stuff to see. I didn't get any pics of monster trucks this time, but there was some other cool automotive stuff. Check out this old as hell cop car...

[​IMG]

... or how about this brand new bling'in Saturn roadster?

[​IMG]

Even that wasn't hardcore enough though... thankfully I found even cooler stuff. Scope out this well restored Chevy 1.5 ton truck...

[​IMG]

very cool! Rear end actually looked pretty beefy. Front end stuff was pretty spindely though... don't think it could take much offroad action. With that in mind, I went over and checked out a rig of a different kind. Scope out this Cat I saw sitting off to the side next to the bee-keeper exhibit. This thing really reminded me of a buggy in some ways.

[​IMG]

without the lift stuff, approach angle would be awesome... really high rocker-panel clearance too! :grin: :thumb: I want one!

Nothing at our fair can top this next rig though. Armor plating + big Michelin tires + Rockwells = totally bad ass!

[​IMG]

no gear head could check this beast out without crawling underneath to snap a pic of the front axle!

[​IMG]

.. this is what it looks like from the rear hatch, facing forward...

[​IMG]

... as if all that wasn't cool enough, check out who autographed the beast last year!

[​IMG]

awesome!!! We were just getting ready to leave when I saw a cool fire truck sitting outside. It was an old beast of a Powerwagon, with a giant winch and deer-slaying front bumper...

[​IMG]

As soon as I saw it, I could start to smell a Dana front end. While my wife pretended that she didn't know me and bystanders pointed and laughed, I got down low and snapped a pic...

[​IMG]

hello D60!!! :grin: :bow:

All in all it was a pretty sweet day. Everything was free, even the food. My mom gave us some coin for watching my sisters kids yersterday and we had plenty to buy an elephant ear, corn dog, jo-jos, polish dog, cotton candy and a frozen lemonade. :thumb: Anyone else have a local fair that has cool stuff like this? Me thinks the Clark County one is pretty bad azz...

j

3. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Don't ya just dig that tractor display...It kicks a$$

4. midnitewarya

midnitewarya Sounds like a problem for future me. Premium Member

They look cool, but these things are death traps when it comes to the real deal. I literally wouldnt be caught dead in one. I walk before I get into this RPG magnet.

[​IMG]

looks like a cool fair though. I love how you snapped a pic of that D60. Im always doing stuff like that that really embarasses the wife. thats what she gets for being a nerd lover I guess. :D

5. jekbrown

yeah, the armored car is just for when the bad guys are holed up and all they got is handguns and cheesy rifles or something... for that, it would own. I wouldn't wanna take a rocket sitting in that thing either.

While I was there I ran into a buddy from high school too... we didn't exchange contact info or anything, just did the "good to see ya" thing. It was kinda weird... I never see ANYONE I went to high school with. Not sure what happened to my grad class, but I think most of them moved somewhere else. lol!

j

6. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I am disturbed by the lack of photos depicting slutty white trash wearing very little that is quite a common species found at the county fair:D

7. jekbrown

i was with my wife... and I doubt if I started clicking away taking pics of what some of you might call "eye candy" that she'd appreciate it much. ;)

cool animals and rig-related stuff is all you perverts get. For most of ya, the animals will be enough. :grin:

j

8. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

please explain "elephant ear"

9. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Are you serious?

10. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

11. nad

nad 1/2 ton status

Ted Nugent came to our fair this year. I missed him thought, the crowd was way to friggin' big for me.

12. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Oh yeah? Well, we have STYX coming to the Southwest Washington fair in town!

:rolleyes:

13. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

so its kinda like a funnel cake

14. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I drove (rode?) one of these JD's the summer of '81 turnin' hay in Powell Butte, OR. Got the nastiest sunburn I've ever had on it too.

15. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yep, just one big lump of funnel cake.

16. midnitewarya

midnitewarya Sounds like a problem for future me. Premium Member

Hell yeah, STYX! Domo Arigato bitches!

:haha:

17. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

OH YEAH? The Laramie County Fair has Restless Heart and it's free!

Whoever the hell they are... my parents are going :rolleyes:

18. jekbrown

lol! Ted was here last year... I forget who they have this year. I never go to music stuff at fairs. I'm there to hang out with my wife, eat greasy food, look at animals and check out cool old rigs and stuff. :thumb:

j

19. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

What does it do?

We don't even have a county fair, but the next county over does so we go there. Sounds small time compared to that one, though. Do you have "chain saw atrists" at yours? That was the coolest thing I saw last year at ours.

20. jekbrown

funny that you mention chainsaw artist guy... I've seen him at the fair plenty of times, does really cool stuff... but I didn't see him this year. :dunno:

j