Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Went to the steel yard today,,,,,,,

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by 4xcrazy, Apr 20, 2004.

1. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

SHEEESH ! i was lookin to possibly make me up some rocker protection/step aids (for the old people that get in and out of my truck) and i measured out the length, told the dude i was lookin at 2 7ft lengths of 2x3 .250wall,,,,,$70 /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Seems alittle high, but i was also told by my neighbor that steel prices just went up quite abit. I guess i'll wait awhile.

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

One of the reasons it is expensive is the fact steel prices just did go up alot, and they are going to go up again soon. June I believe. Another is the fact that you want sizes other then 20 foot sticks. they charge you for the cuts and they probably quoted you the price for 10 foot lengths cut to 7ft.

Ask the price of a 20 foot stick. It is probably the same or cheaper then 2 7ft lengths. Call other steel yards too. Some are cheaper then others.

Harley

3. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

what steel yard did you go to. If it was interstate cut the price in half for any other shop.

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

It was a place up on Bell Rd and Cave Creek.

Allstate Steel 2510 E. Bell Rd.

5. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

My god steel is really expensive over there.

Friday I picked up 4 x 2 x .120, 2"D x .120, 2 x 2 x .120, 1" x 3" flat stock....all these are 20 foot bars for $76.50 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

For square tube, SW Metals in Deer Valley has the best prices I've found. But yeah, steel has been going through the roof for several months and it's still climbing. I bought $1000 worth a few months ago to cover most of my pending projects...

7. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I was over at SW steel last week for some DOM and they made a half serious remark that cromoly might become more economical (kinda like a diesel). He said mild has had about a 70% rise in the last 120 days. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif