Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

went to trans shop today, cool

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by R72K5, Jan 11, 2005.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

went to a trans rebuild shop in springfield to drop off the 4l60e trans we pulled today from the 97 c1500,
    got to see and learn all kinds of neat things,

like got to see what disassembled torque converters look like and damn they have clutch discs in them they look just like manual trans clutch discs, neat., learned that a worn out converter happens and that it can cause same symptons as bad front pump, etc,. now i look at torque converters in a different way, will question how much life one has left in it before deciding to use it

and the shop uses a 2.8L chevy engine in their dyno for testing trannies, and they have a 12 ton load simulator and tons and tons of input output shaft spacers and adaptors and wiring harnesses, and all kinds of stuff

when i go back soon to pick the tranny up when its done i want to tour the place again and learn some more

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

take a camera and ask if you can take pics. I always wanted to go to a tranny shop...but I don't have anything that needs to be rebuilt yet, and any place around here wouldn't be too exciting...

3. 85burbanator

85burbanator 1/2 ton status

our trans shop sucks. its a smal 2 bay shop, dirty as heck, non of that fancy stuff yours has and the guys arent that great at building a reliable transmition.

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

these guys around here all pretty much do late model computer controlled trannies, nothing old really ever, no one spends that much on old stuff, excpet in very few rare isoloated cases,

i dont have a camera, unfortunately, too poor to get another one, i had a digicam for a while, til it got stolen, doh.....

im gonna tour the shop again regardless, theres a couple others in springfield and i think one in decatur and one or two in bloomington,

but no axle shops no custom shops no speed shops no no offroad shops or anything else, just engne and trans rebuild shops, and basic autobody repair shops and some small normal parts stores, nothing aftermarket or HP or anything like that,

not in the right region for any such things here, not like on TV in cali, FL, TX, etc where places build 4x4's or lower and customize cars.trucks, and custom body work and such, not even remotely close to any of that exists

just a small farming community area around here, not enough ppl and such