Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Went to Uwharrie this past weekend...long, but good!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BigOrange90Jimmy, Dec 9, 2002.

1. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Yep, went camping in the aftermath of the ice storm we had roll through. I rode with my buddy in his completely stock Cherokee on street tires, and to be honest, he was showing up the boys running 31 - 35" tires. Luckily he bought a skidplate the day before and got it installed. We hit that thing probably 60 times.

Let's start from Friday: Got camp set up, but couldn't get a fire started to save our lives. Finally bummed some lighter knot off a local camper. I froze my ass off in the tent because I was trying to sleep on an air mattress. That wasn't a good idea. Total sleep: 4 hours

Saturday: Took the Cherokee and our friend's Grand on Wolf's Den, Falls Dam, and Dickey Bell. Did pretty good, both of us got hung once. Simple Hi-Lift saved our butts. Sat. night comes along. We got some better firewood and a starter log from the local Wally World. BJ had gone to sleep and I was shutting down camp for the night. Off in the distance, I hear mud tires. It's about 1 right now, so I'm thinking someone had some problems on the way. They turn onto our road and a few seconds later, a bobbed XtraCab Yota on 38's slides sideways into the parking lot of our campsite. He's just come from Tellico, and his buddy is on the way but he missed the turn. About a minute later, his buddy shows up, driving a diesel K5 with the Banks Stinger kit on it. It's all stock except for that. He just bought it a week ago and paid only 2200 dollars for it!!! On the trailer behind it is a bobbed, dented all to hell, caged, no doors, no top, fixed yoke 208, 10 bolts, tunnel tucked t-case, twin piston York, fuel celled, sitting on 38" TSL's up front and Boggers out back K5. They're here to run Daniel....at night. We all go to the trailhead and get the K5 unloaded. BJ and I start up Daniel on foot to get some pics of the hard section. Off in the distance, we hear the Boggers spinning on rocks. We look at each other and say, "This can't be good." He hasn't even gotten to the hard part yet, and the K5's already lost 4 wheel drive, but he keeps getting it. He gets to the part where we're sitting and can't go any further. The truck dies, the twin Optima's won't pull the truck any further, and we can't push him backwards down the hill without brake pressure and power steering. We FINALLY get it to kick over, and the owner says, "Hey, it's running, LET'S FINISH IT!!!" At this point, BJ and I are covered in red clay from pulling winch lines and trying to get the K5 started, pissed off because these guys are half blistered from Bud, and tired from 4 wheelin all day. We go back to the fort and sleep. Total sleep: 5 hours

Sunday: Sydney shows up in his lifted and locked YJ, and he and BJ go run Daniel. His Jeep only has 33" Xterrains on it, but he only had to be strapped once. They come back and wake me up, and we go hit Rocky Mountain. It was good, but a Jeep that's been lifted feels kinda awkward on a side hill. That raps up our weekend pretty much.

Vehicles broken: Scout II-bent draglink; 99 Sierra (SAS, 44's, 3/4 ton axles)-busted front driveshaft; YJ on 35's-busted Dana 30 axleshaft; CJ-7-busted clutch linkage; 97 TJ-ripped off lower shock mount.

EXPECT SOME PICS SOON!!!

2. BIGDAN112686

BIGDAN112686 1/2 ton status

sounds like a good weekend. ive been up there once with 2 jeeps. fun place. we'll have to go up there later next year when i get my truck. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

3. MudFlap

MudFlap 1/2 ton status

I went to Uwharrie this past weekend too. Left on Saturday morning from Raleigh, my buddies didn't want to get up earlier so we decided to leave at 9:30 by the time that they got there it was 10. Stopped at a waffle house for breakfast which took 1.5 hours because they didn't have power. Finally get to Uwharrie and I am 20 foot from the trail ready to start wheelin on it and my blazer cuts off, no spark. We ride in my buddies truck to albemarle and get a new ignition module and eat supper and then we get back to the blazer and fix it. Then we realize that my buddy had a completely flat tire. We put on the spare and finally get on the trail at about 8 or 8:30 and we ride for about an hour and then go home.

It was a long day for such a little bit of wheelin.

Trey

4. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Hey bud, me and BJ talked to you! We were in the stock Cherokee with "Extreme Soundz" stickers on it. It was Saturday night, and you were leaving. We stopped and talked to you, asked what happened to your K5. I saw you trying to start it earlier in the day, but we were on a time limit and on the way to a trail ride. NCBlackandRed was there also. He took his straight axle Yota wheeling. He cut the sidewall on one of his brand new BFG Mud T/A KO's.