Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

went wheelin and got in to some water, did i hurt anything?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muddysub, Dec 23, 2002.

1. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i got into some water that was about 1" below my steps (about 24", my frame height is 30"). the exhaust was under water i know that's no problem. but all the breather lines are in the stock locations. could i have water in my diffs, t-case, or tranny?

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Check the diffs most likely water. Check the transfercase, mabye water there and the tranny if its a manual. Most likely there will only be water in the diffs. I sink mine several times a year to the point that the pedals are under water and its ussually just the diffs.

3. georgiared84

georgiared84 1/2 ton status

Easiest way to find out is to check fluids. Loosen your diff covers and let a little fluid out. If it has white goop in it it has gotten water in it and needs to be changed. If you have an auto tranny check your fluid while running and after you shut it off. If the fluid has changed from dark red to light pink it has water in it and should be flushed and filled. I have mine in water up to the floor pans every once in a while to cross a creek near here and the only thing I regularly do as a result is check and repack front wheel bearings.

4. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

check all of your fluids, specially tranny. i snorkeled everything but my tranny breather and payed the price 2 weeks ago...so in went a new tranny and a lesson learned. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

NITRO

5. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

ok thanks guys i'll do that tomorrow and re route all my breathers too.