Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Went Wheelin over the weekend

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 88Silverado, Jul 5, 2004.

1. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Had a chance to get to the local Mountains on Sunday (Big Bear Lake) and ran the Holcolm creek trail. Its about 15-20 miles long and pretty good wheeling. I wanted to see how the truck flexed and what kind of traction it had. I was very pleased. Crawled up all rutted/rocky hills with no problems and no tire spin (from what I could tell). I have an Eaton in the rear and an Auburn in the front and they worked very well on the trail. I also had pretty good droop without any tire coming off the ground. Tires were down to 11psi and the TrXus MT's did well.

The rock areas were a bit of a challenge. Had to have my wife guide me thru cuz the poor front diff took 4-5 good hard hits. I didnt get any pictures of the real rocky areas cuz I was trying not to break anything. Someone had problems there earlier, there is one area called the rock garden which has a tall pointy rock that was covered in gear oil with a puddle below. The Sliders took a couple good hits and the rear bumper and tailpipe got hooked on some rocks and bent a little.

There was a big differernce between my old toyota truck and the blazer. The toyota always had problems with the hill climbs (open diffs and bfg at's), would nearly break my wrist when the steering wheel would rip out of my hands on the rocks (no p.s.) and the kidneys hurting and the dirt coating (rougher ride and no AC) made it a less pleasurable. However, being narrower did have some advantages negotiating the rocks. Wife even decided to drive some of the area but decided not to do the rocks.

Turned out to be a 250 mile, 13 hour round trip. Long day.

Anyways, heres a couple of pics, wish I had more but didnt start the trail until 4:30pm and finished it around 6:45pm and home at 10:30pm.

twist1
    twist2
    twist3
    trail1
    trail2
    trail3
    trail4
    Wife

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

looks like fun /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

good times i cant wait to get my truck back out

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

wow, the first pic of the trail looks really narrow.

Looks like a neat trail /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif