Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Went Wheeling now broke!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Zack, Apr 24, 2000.

1. Zack

Zack 1/2 ton status

Okay I need all your guys' help! Today I went mudding. I went down the dirt road and i went in a huge mud puddle. The engine coughed and died. Okay I thought I got water in the carb. I pump the gas and turn it over. It starts. I run it downt the road to the turn around spot to head back the way I came. When I slowed down the oil pressure dropped to almost nothing and it died again. I started it back up and reved it up to get the oil pressure up again.. I was able to drive it home but whenever I slow down it dies and oil pressure sucks! This is a brand new engine! I have a high pressure, high volume oil pump. I don't know what's going on here! I am also leaking tranny fluild like there's no tomarrow! I just got done doing the pan gasket and filter bout a week ago. It looks like its coming from where the tube meets the tranny. Also I knocked the shifter outta adjustment so now it starts in reverse so I gotta fix that too. I put it in 4 and my right front tire wasn't spinning! What is wrong here? By the way I have a 350/th350/203. Please help me out here!

<font color=red>Zack Carlson</font color=red>
    <font color=yellow>Carlson@thestix.net</font color=yellow>

2. Zack

Zack 1/2 ton status

3. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Did you weld the oil pump pickup onto the pump? Sounds like you may have knocked it loose or something. Also, check your rocker arms. Did one come loose and cause the lifter to be pushed out of its bore? Usually when this happens, you will hear the rocker chatter like a mad man. I had this problem on a new motor that had a Bigger than stock cam. I had adjusted the lifters to zero lash and had the factory non locking nuts on the rocker arm studs. I took it out for its first test run, and lost oil pressure. I made it home but the rockers were chattering real bad. I pulled it apart and found about 5 bent pushrods, lifters sitting in the valley, out of the bores, ect. I installed the adjustable locking nuts with allen bolt set screw, then re-adjusted the valves and never had any problems. I dont think you could have hurt any bearings this early. Unless you were overrevving it.

<font color=red>Mudzer</font color=red>
    1978/91 K5 Blazer

4. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    Just curious, how fast did you friggin hit that? You need to check the filler tube, and as far as the engine, I dunno.

Best of luck, and keep it out of the deep puddles.

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

5. rich

rich 1/2 ton status

You said your right front tire wasn't spinning in 4WD - do you have a locker or a limited slip diff in the front axle? If not, then both front tires are not going to spin all the time.

But if you have some kind of traction device in the front diff, and one front wheel never spins, then either the locking hub on the non-spinning wheel is not locking, or the locker/limited slip diff is not working and may be worn or broken.

Richard
    '76 K-5 Blazer
    '90 K-5 Blazer

6. Zack

Zack 1/2 ton status

Okay got her all figured out.. thanks for the help. I had to pull out the tranny tube and weld up a hole that was in it. The engine musta been a fluke or just my crappy gauge. I do need to turn up the idle however

<font color=red>Zack Carlson</font color=red>
    <font color=yellow>Carlson@thestix.net</font color=yellow>