Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Were can I get Gears changed in the Bay Area?

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by Taylor, Jul 24, 2002.

1. Taylor

Taylor 1/2 ton status

Anyone know a good shop or individual who changes gears in the Bay Area? Also on avarage what should it cost to have this kind of work done? Tks.

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I can tell you where NOT to go... Rearend Specialties in Santa Clara messed up my truck twice, and two guys' trucks in my old club also. All 4 times the wear pattern on the gears was all wrong. So 4 out of 4 times they messed them up. I haven't found a shop that anyone recommends so I'm going to install my own gears. At least if they get messed up I will have spent less money and will have the experience.</font color>

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Wow! I too would not go there ever again!
    The average price is around 250 per axel, you supply the parts. Some shops will quote the front higher. One place wanted 1500 for labor only!!! WOW
    I ended up doing it myself and spent the money I save on tools to do the job right! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

4. LiftedAssDodge

LiftedAssDodge 1/2 ton status

5. Priest

Priest Registered Member

Drive to Sac and have Gearman (Sean) at River City Differentials do it. He just quoted a buddy $350 (parts and labor) to do a front 10 bolt. He's an avid wheeler, member of the Pirates of the Rubicon club, does awesome work and is an all around good egg. He did my 5.29's front/rear and rear detroit over a year ago and they have performed flawlessly. I can't say enough good things about the guys work.

I almost forgot....it took him 6 1/2 hrs to do my truck

6. sarazk5

sarazk5 1/2 ton status

I also agree to go to Sean at River City. He just did our rearend in the toyota.. 5.29s with a Detroit. He had done them prior also.

For my Jimmy he quoted me:
    375 for a front 10 bolt to go to 4.10s
    around 475 to do the rear 12 bolt.
    He quoted me 480.00 for a full detroit for the rear.

He is totally cool. If you pull the axles yourself you'll save yourself another 150.00 per axle. He even gave me a loaner diff for the toyota to use while he redid our 3rd.

Sara

7. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dang!
    I am suprised to hear that! I've had good exerience with them before.
    I have gone to rearend specialties for like 3 Ring and pinion setups. And i got charged $110 for the labor each time.
    One for my dad's truck (same R&amp;P for like 5 years), and i had Mike at rearend speciatlites do the 12 bolt rearend in my truck twice. The first time the gears lasted about a year, now i'm going on about another year with the current R&amp;P.

I've heard Santa Clara Truck Wreckers or Santa Clara Driveline... can't remember which does gear changes/ setups also.... but i'm not recommending them, i've never delt with them so i don't know.

One place i can tell you to steer clear of is Freeman Frame in San Jose. That guy f*$% up my spring perch angle i paid him to do. So i spent the whole weekend fixing his mistake, borrowing a friends cutting torch, welder, buying new spring perches.... and the dick only gave me half my money back, and wouldn't even take any responsiblity for his mistake. I took poloroid pic's and he still didn't want to budge.

8. Taylor

Taylor 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info everyone, keep'em comming if you know of any others. I called 4wheel parts today in Santa Clara, they quoted me $1500, guess it pays to shop around!

9. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

There is a company in Salinas that does good work.. They quoted me $1150.00 for my 10 bolts.. If interested I will get there name &amp; #....Dan

10. Priest

Priest Registered Member

Maybe it's just me but I wouldn't trust 4Wheel Parts to set up gears for me..... Now that I think about it, I would trust the to do anything other than mount my tires.. Like I said, maybe it's just me.

Setting up gears is one of those things that when it's done right they will give you pleny of reliable service and if it isn't....it will leave you high and dry when you need it least.

11. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I 3rd River City Differentials.... when do you plan to do this? Maybe you can make a day trip over here to hang out with us Sac folks? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

12. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Ryan, your gears lasted a year and you're happy with that? I expect gears to last alot longer than that. I think maybe my problem was that Mike didn't set mine up, and that's one of my issues. When I took the truck in the first time I told him that I really wanted him to do it because I wanted to make sure it was perfect. He said no problem, but when I came back to pick it up it wasn't done yet and some pimply faced kid that looked about 18 was working on it. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

So, when the front ring gear stripped out 6 months later I took it back and had them do it again. To their credit they gave me replacement gears (used) and charged me for the labor only. That isn't great, but he said since the original gears were used that they wouldn't be covered by their warranty. I was OK with that, I'm an understanding guy.

3 months later the rearend broke, but it was jus tthe crappy Auburn, so they didn't have anything to do with that other than telling me that it was super strong (it isn't, and that's a fairly well known fact, I now know), 6 months later the new front ring gear stripped and I said screw it, that's when the truck went into the garage to wait for the 14bFF/D60 combo.

Maybe it's the big tires that caused my problems, but the wear pattern on the bad gear that's in it now is way off, so I don't think that it was ever set up right. </font color>

13. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

a year for gears ain't nothing to be happy about, but have you seen my burnout video?
    With my 35's, burnouts, a harsh shift kit, beating it at pismo, etc... honestly i was suprised they didn't go sooner.
    /forums/images/icons/grin.gif
    And when mine broke... i'm pretty sure it was my fault. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

...... And by the way... I'm pretty sure if you take your rearend to 4wheelparts wholesalers.... all they do is drive it over to rearend specialties, jack up the price, and then get it back to you.