Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Were did that post go w/dual exahust & H-pipe?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Burt4x4, May 19, 2005.

1. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

who's rig was that? BrocoKelly?
    Someone just posted up and I can't find it????

AHHAHAHAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I am getting new pipes put in on Sat....
    Help me find it pls :D

2. ak bandit

ak bandit 1/2 ton status

3. ak bandit

ak bandit 1/2 ton status

...Found another picture of an H-pipe. This one is off of BobK's rig...

[​IMG]

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Burt,

The balance pipe is supposed to be as close to the hottest part of the exhaust as possible....this means typically directly after the header collector flanges....

Good luck doing that on a 4x4 (transfer case is in the way!), but that's how the muscle car guys do it...

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

hahaha I brows WAY to MANY fourms hahah I can't keep them straight anymore hahahahah
    Thanks AK bandit
    Greg ~ I have heard that too, along with the paint burning trick.
    Tomorrow morning I goto the exhaust shop to have my pipes put in. The place I am taking it too has been there a loooong time and they do alot of custom work. I am hopeing the owner will beable to help me decide if an H pipe will do any good at all being farther away from the collectors. I can go eaither way at this point, hell I can't emagine a big difference anyway so we shal see....
    Mayden Voyage next weekend to Pismo :D :D :D :D in tow also :D :D :D
    Burt

6. Greg72

Burt,

I know you've seen the video clips of my K5 and the Burb on the dyno....

They are both running true-dual setups without balance tubes...the K5 is using 70-series dual chamber Flowmasters and the Burb uses DynoMax mufflers....

Both sound cool, but in different ways.

:D

7. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Oh yes many many times :xmas: :D

I too have 70s sitting in the back seat. I copied you :p:

Tell me! Do you think an H pipe will do anything positive to my exhaust. I mean you see the pics above the H pipe is only gonna fit after the Xfer...is that too far back to 'do any good'?? I don't want it if it ain't doin anything.
    Some clame they build torque, I like torque :D Butt again...inorder to get torque gains does the H pipe have to be in that unkon sweet spot??

I take my K5 into the shop tomorrow AM to put new pipes in :D :D

8. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

If nothing else a H pipe would keep the driveshaft from hitting the ground if you break the Ujoint at the Tcase. :grin:

9. Greg72

Burt,

My temptation would be to leave the h-pipe off initially....

See what you get without it (both noise and powerwise). It's the kind of thing they could add later on without much trouble or expense.

My $.02

Go Burt Go !!!!!!!! Get my BF6 ride finished!!!!!:cool1:

10. tweaker

tweaker 1/2 ton status

hey burt,

did you go to Danny's shop here in modesto, just down the street from bell and gains. they do awesome work and it's all aluminum pipe. they did my dual cherries for my 83 diesel k5(huh 406sbc). sorry i must have hick-uped. stupid smog laws in cali.

see you at Pismo

11. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

After talking and talking with the owner of KB Mufflers I went with a H pipe:
    [​IMG]
    I also swaped him my 70series Flowmasters for a set of BBC 50series. They were able to get the 50s to fit much higher cuz the used offset ones. I am very happy with the way KB set me up. I didn't get anymore pics, well I did but somehow my email junked them on the way into work :confused:
    It sound perrty damn cool now. Nice low rumbble and RAAATTT when you get on it a lil bit. Not nearly as lound as thoes damn 40s, that is a loud ass muff hahaha

12. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

Can't wait to see more pics. That pic looks good.

I have an appointment for my exhaust tomorrow - I'm nervous as this will be the first trip on pavement since the swap :crazy:

13. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

KB Muffler is at McHenry and Palendale, so nice and close to my house. Thease guys were cool. I needed a ride home fer like 20min and he said here just take my car..WOW thanks, I'll be right back! I was gonna call a cab. Got back and watched this guy weld with his eyes closed, litterally. and he twisted and bent and tossed aorund pipe like a muff diver. He obvously has been doing exhaust for a loooong time. anyway 250 bucks to run 2 1/2" pipe, install two muffs, O2sensor, Hpipe, pipe all the way out the back, custom hangers..Oh and he installed lil hooks to keep my E-brake cables away from the muffs. Cool Shop for sure!
    Burt

14. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Ya I have a 37gallon gas tank so I had him dip out and along the outside of the frame rail nice and high to the rear bumper. I shouldn't beable to damage the pipe very easly, well maby a /\ shaped rock but other than that I'm good too go.
    I can grab any section of pipe(even the tip) and rock my WHOLE rig from side to side. Talk about a SOLID exhaust :D :cool1: it don't move at all :grin:

15. tweaker

tweaker 1/2 ton status

that looks sweet man. i've seen that shop. they're always packed. i can't wait to see that thing skirt up the dunes at Pismo.