Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Were getting an autozone?!?!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SummitXMK, Aug 29, 2002.

1. SummitXMK

SummitXMK 1/2 ton status

So I passed a soon to be open Autozone in Boise the other day and I was wondering how this is going to compare to NAPA and Shucks. I think the stuff I get from NAPA is better quality than Shucks MOST of the time. So how are the parts at Autozone?

2. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    We've got a bunch of AutoZones arround my area, they're pretty good. I don't have too many complaints about them, their parts are a bit cheaper than the "mom and pop" auto parts store we have. The parts counter guys don't seem to know as much as the guys at the mom and pop shop though. Does anybody know anything about "Advance Auto Parts" they just built one of those arround here.

3. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

I have always had good luck with "The Zone". Thier parts are always cheaper than NAPA's and usually they are a LOT cheaper. You'll be happy they came to town!

And no, I don't own any stock in them! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Mike

4. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

We just got one here in Pocatello and its OK. Seems like they have not put enough people on and you always have to wait.

5. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    Another thing I like about AutoZone is that, and I don't know if this is true elsewhere, they are open alot later than other parts stores (especially on Sunday). When your working on something only to find that your missing a gasket or a spring, it's good to know that theres probably gonna be an autozone open. AutoZone was open NewYears day, I thought that was the $hit... I needed break lines bad.

6. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

They are pretty good. We have one in Tulsa that stays open 24 hours a day. The good thing about the Zone is the usually have lifetime warranties on most parts. I bought all my Dana/Spicer tie rod ends from them. They will also match competitors prices on comparable items. We also have the Orielys parts store chain here as well. Both are real competitve. If you want the good parts you have to ask for them, otherwise they just sell you the "cheap" stuff.

7. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

DP hit it on the head. Make sure you ask for the name brand you want. I've had good luck w/ their parts, but their counter help sucks, or at least here it does. I don't blame the chain for that I blame the manager. I used to like NAPA better, but they've gotten worse & the Zone has gotten better.

8. A&P

A&P Registered Member

I used to work at an advance auto parts. The parts arent all that great. They do however carry the full line of rancho shocks, and like any other parts stores can order anything you want. It makes it a bit easier if you can, to visit the website, and preshop the inventory. Advance autoparts.com is a decent site. It also remembers the vehicle you were shopping for. Advance also price matches, so you can get the prices off the net, tell them where you got it, and they'll hook you up with the part at or below the price. I like autozone, cause they carry timken bearings and although it is a far drive, on the south side of San Antonio, there is a 24 hr. autozone, and it's open 7 days a week. Chaching... Oh well, I'm rambling...
    Enough of that.
    Just my $.02
    -Ben

9. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

Advance Auto Parts bought out Parts America/Western Auto from Sears (I worked for Western Auto before Advance bought them out). They downgraded the quality of the parts they carry, then marginally bumped the markup. IMHO Autozone is a better store, with better parts (for the most part). In my area the NAPAs suck. They are at least twice as expensive as The Zone and Advance, offer very little warranty, and warranty exchange is nearly impossible (to warranty a starter, you have to record the voltage drop of the battery cables, voltage at the starter, battery voltage under load, and alternator output).

10. shupach

shupach 1/2 ton status

u guys seem to have better luck w/ autozone, here they suck, the closest one is always understaffed, they can never speak english, and usually have no clue wat im talking about. I like oreillys better, they tend to have more parts, i know most of the guys there cause ive been there so much, and they speak english.

phill

11. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I've heard good stuff about O'Reilly's, but the closest one to me is 2 hrs away.

12. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

I work for Autozone at the moment, not for too much longer though, and most of the parts are ok. Some things you want to stay away from if possible. We see a lot of starters come back and a few alternators. So far I have only gotten one starter that hasnt given me problems yet (only about a month old). The brake parts and batteries are pretty decent. Just stay away from anything that doesnt carry the lifetime warranty if it is available (ex. LLT alt. vs. 1 yr alt.). We do carry a few name brands and are starting to get a few more.

The Advance on our side of town seems pretty good. We work with them a lot of times when we dont have something in stock. They usually have more parts and prices are pretty comparable.

OReilly's sucks in my opinion.

13. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

O'reilly is the stuff around here. Usually cheaper than the zone, where no one knows what i want and it takes forever to checkout. I say check out because the only time i goto the zone is a rush situation since its about 5 min closer than O'reilly to me. I look up all my parts myself at the zone and just send them off like a dog to pull it and i get out of there. On the otherhand the zone takes the cake of out advanced auto, Carquest, Napa, etc etc,....I goto CarQuest sometimes because like every town they are that actual shop with old timers who have seen and know how to do lots of tricky and troublesome fixes

14. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

I've always had good business with them in my area.