Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

were should I put my batteries?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bablazer73, Sep 16, 2002.

1. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I am trying to igure out were I should mount my batteries. plan on running 2 red top optima batteries. I don't want them in the front. I already have to much weight. I was thinking of just behind the rear seat. one on each side. what do you think??

2. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I've seen a K5 with two batteries mounted in front of the rear wheel wells (rear seat removed) with a battery isolator and some hiqh quality wire. He said he did it to better distribute the weight and to get them out of the "heat soaked" environment. On his rig it was overkill, but from what I saw of yours, it would be ideal!

All in all, I guess anywhere in the back where there is space and they are "out of the way", would work. His seemed to work pretty well and were out of the way. I don't know if you plan on a roll cage (or how complex of one) but it may influence where you mount the batteries.

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I like to pile junk behind my seat. I saw a rig that had them behind the wheel wells and it looked good. Thinking about doing the same.

4. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

I am mounting mine behind the center console location inline with a battery selector switch inside a protective box.

5. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

perfect idea for widening the holes in the rear pillars that have already started from rust. The holes would make perfect openings to run battery wiring...

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

The farther they are from the battery the bigger the cable your going to need. A high quality cable fine strand cable and good copper crimp ends. I would say you need to run 2gage. Might want to step up to a high quality sealed box and vent it out the floor. Battery's give off Hydrogen. Remember that little fire ball called the "Hindenberg"? Same gas.
    Other than that I like the idea. I carry to much junk so I'm pretty close to 50/50 weight right now /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

7. Grim-Reaper

Ohh Optimas....No need to vent. Just keep them easy to get to...they need replacing often. Course you could get a pair of 1000cca Duralasts with 3year replacement and 8 year total warranty for a little more than one Optima. I think Optimas only have a 2 year total warranty.

8. BowtieBlazer

Grim if I remember right Bablazer runs a topless rig almost 365 anyway...

9. bablazer73

already have cage installed. plenty of room. I made room for the backseat to go back in, but opted for no rear protection. [​IMG]

10. bablazer73

I already have the 2gauge wire. I also found a 180 amp alternater to use! produces 120 amp at 1500 engine rpm! my truck is topless all the time! I might put a soft top on it, but the interior will NEVER be sealed tight!! I didn't think they needed to be vented which is 1 reason I thought I could use them back there. I haven't heard to many people with problems.

11. bablazer73

I have convinced the wife that she needs to buy me a soft top for x mas. living in the northest with snow and all. it was easy, her not haveing a job and it really being my money and all!! but it was a nice gesture!!

12. BowtieBlazer

Well, we all deserve a little something now and then for being good don't we?

13. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I'm running a red top (soon to be two) in front of the rear axle mounted under the bed, inside the frame. With the K30 frame, they actually fit inside the frame rail. On a K5, they might fit sideways (ok for an optima) and, if you mount that way up there, you’ll likely want to build a mud proof box. Battery cable is 00 fine stranded and runs to the military junction block on the fire wall where I also tie in the starter, alternator, etc.

14. bablazer73

thats what I say!! after all, I am kind enough to feed her every week. it's the least she can do!!

15. 6869704x4

6869704x4 Registered Member

Go to wal-mart and check out the boat battery boxes. The black plastic ones. They are cheap and come in different sizes. They come with a mounting kit too. They are pretty slick.

16. Grim-Reaper

Hahahah yeah I pay for my X-Mas gifts my wife and kids give me also LOL.
    I really like my Specialty top. It seals very well. It seals as good as my hard top with shop seals. It's acctually quiter going down the hwy with the windows up than the hard top is. The only down side is it seals well enough that if you roll a windows more than half way down it creates a vacuum and sucks the top down to the roll cage and will flap some. Not real bad but it does it about 50 mph. You can remove the side windows and run it as a safari top to keep the sun off you also. See my avitar. Steve has them up on http://offcamber4x4.com and Members get a discount on the top. It's about as cheap as your going to find it with the discount. Steve should be posting a Review I did on it any day now. Here is a link dirrectly to the one that will fit your truck. That price is before member discount. http://offcamber4x4.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=OC4&Product_Code=552-310&Category_Code=B
    [​IMG]

17. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

ok, got pics? I'm trying to figure out what to do with mine, but the back end is pretty swamped especially with keeping my rear seat, and the front is all tube now. What did you do again?

18. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

Hey Grim--just bought a new red top Optima came with a full
    6year warranty. Not too bad IMO.

Eric.

89K5/14FF/D60/2-1/2"Superlift/ORD Stuff/More coming!!

19. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Here is one that is already on the net. I'll link it since it is rather large. I'm using the top terminals with brass boat clamps and the copper lugs on the cables are attached using wing nuts for easy removal.
    Battery inside the frame rail.

20. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status