Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Were there manual trans for 89 1/2 ton Subs?

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by will89, Jan 21, 2003.

1. will89

will89 1/2 ton status

....Im wondering if GM made a manual trans for 89 1/2 4x4 Subs???? What's the name of it and is it a good trans.

The reason I ask is that when the 700r4 goes out I was thinking of swapping in a manual tranny. Im going to need a new t-case anyway.

Has anyone done this? It is it a pita? Comments please!

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

EXTREMELY RARE...but 'burbs, (and K5's) were available in a manual. Usually in the base models. The tranny is the SM465. One of the best manuals out there. 6.55 first (granny) gear, and then 3 more. No overdrive...final gear is 1:1. Very popular swap. Search through the "garage" forum for this swap. You'll get a lot of good info...from pics, to hydro and mechanical linkage info.

3. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

The sub. I looked at before the one I bought was a 3/4 ton diesel that the guy had swapped in a manual. He used the aforementioned granny tranny. The guy said it was a royal pita, but only realized how much it would cost after he was halfway through. There was no turning back for him. He said that was why he was getting rid of the truck. Top speed of 60 and it didn't turn out like he expected. I didn't buy the truck, cause coupled with the diesel the truck could not merge onto the highway. The gears were just all wrong. If you are building a trail only truck, and not a daily driver it would be a great setup. It is all up to what you want to use it for. Good luck with whatever route you go. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

4. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

UMMM...ok... Our family 86 K-5 has a SM465 and the original 305 and goes plenty fast. I think your friend just had a bad engine, or wrong gearing. While the little 305 gives us fits, the tranny has not had ANY problems in the 17 years we've owned it.

5. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

We had a 1978 3/4 ton 2 barrel 305 with the sm465 and I have a proof that it'll do 78 in a 55,LOL thats with a burnt clutch, 33's and 3.73's Could have gone faster had the speedo been calibrated. (speedo said 60 when he clocked me)

-Jeremy