Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Were to find a light rack that mounts on the roof?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by platapus, Oct 22, 2006.

1. platapus

platapus Registered Member

Jan 15, 2006
    Anyone who makes the light rack that mounts on the roof for a 79 blazer?
  2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Feb 27, 2000
    Ya know, I keep seeing these kinda requests ... and then somebody posts how they found one on Ebay and it was all grungy and they had to sandblast it and repaint it and ...

As far as I can tell, a piece of square metal tube and some flat stock, and you culd easily make your own. You'd need a welder, or to find somebody local with a welder, shouldn't cost much.

If you were local to me, for instance, I could easily do the welding for ya, and it would cost you, say, a 12 pack of Henry's Rootbeer (I don't drink the alcoholic kind.)

Alternately, maybe I should claim these are hard to come by and start making them myself =))

I mean, you just want it to clamp onto the window rails, yes? Or do you wanna drill into the roof of your truck?

My '74 has no roof for me to attach one, and my '85 is staying stock (CUCV), or I'd have made one to show you pix of by now =))

-- A
  3. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Jan 4, 2006
    OK here is a secret... Light bars on police cruisers had a bracket that went over the gutter with a long bolt that had a nut on other end to attach it to the lights. Now I am sure you can buy a gutter mount kit (just the bracket) and take a flat piece of bar stock mount a piece of angle iron on the end with a hole in center. Now for the feet most light bars had hard rubber like a washer that a bolt went thru and attached into the bar for feet.

Or just go to a cop shop (supply store) and see if they can get just a plain bar for you. You would want a rotating beacon type (Gum ball).

Or just go to eBay item number 180041723532

4. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Sep 9, 2001
    CARR makes one, and KC makes one